Home Smart Living Don’t Throw Away Your Old Air Conditioner

Don’t Throw Away Your Old Air Conditioner

6907
0
SHARE
Most of us are habituated to using ACs to cool the room when it gets warm. But in this run for comfort, people have forgotten what these ACs do to the environment.

We’re not going to define Air Conditioners for you. It is undeniable though, that air conditioners (or ACs) have become an important part of life in the current global scenario. Countries are moving from poor to rich. Citizens are able to afford what were once considered luxuries. The world is a happy place.

 

Most of us are habituated to using ACs to cool the room when it gets warm. But in this run for comfort, people have forgotten what these ACs do to the environment. Yes, air conditioners do harm the environment in many ways. Let’s see how.

yaabot_ac

In addition to placing strains on nations’ power grids, air conditioners pose threats to the environment and environmental health, primarily as contributors to global warming. Approximately 80% of the impact of air conditioning on climate results from the draw on fossil fuel–fired power plants. The remaining 20% comes from the units’ refrigerants, the liquid agents within the coils that are used to cool and dehumidify the air.

 

Different types of refrigerants have been used in air conditioners over the years. The discovery that chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) are major contributors to ozone-layer breakdown prompted an international response that led to the creation of the ‘Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer’, which went into effect in 1989 and eventually eliminated production of CFCs in 1996. The CFCs were replaced by hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs), a transitional fluorocarbon with a reduced impact on ozone depletion to be used only while companies developed better coolants. Today these replacements are, themselves, being phased out and replaced by hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs).

 

HFCs have no impact on ozone depletion because they lack chlorine. However, they have been found to possess a characteristic that is not covered by the Montreal Protocol: They are super-greenhouse gases with high potential to contribute heavily to global warming. The effort to solve one environmental problem, therefore, is likely exacerbating another.

In the process of preventing ozone depletion, scientists unknowingly accelerated the highly imminent global warming rate. More modern and safe technology is currently being developed to cool the air and not harm it simultaneously. Hopefully, in the near future, we may have the perfect, both power efficient as well as eco friendly air conditioners, but for now, we are one down on eco friendly.

 

So, what can you do with you old air conditioner to help contribute in saving the environment?

 

The best thing you can do, without much loss to yourself, is of course selling your old ACs. We at ReGlobe help you sell your AC both Window or Split with home pick and Cash payment. Use this link to find out the price. This way, you will be making a difference too and saving our Mother Earth.

SHARE
Previous articleRishabh Kumar
Next articleVipul Limbachiya

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here