At first glance both the iPhone 7 and 6s seem to have an identical design. The appearance of both the devices is pretty similar. But there are some major differences between the two devices under the hood. Is the iPhone 7 really better than iPhone 6s after having removed essentials like the headphone jack? Let’s find out who wins in the iPhone 6s vs 7 battle.
Size and weight
- Don’t expect any size changes, as the iPhone 7 has identical measurements to the iPhone 6s.
- The iPhone 7 is a tab bit lighter than the 6s though. There’s a five gram difference between the two devices – the 7 being 138g and 6s with 143g.
- Many OEMs fit larger screens onto similarly sized phones every year, but Apple decided not to follow suit and keep the display size similar to 4.7″ for both phones. The 6s comes with a Retina HD display (IPS Panel) the display resolution is 1334×750 at 326ppi.
- Coming to the iPhone 7, it is said to have a wider colour gamut and 25% brighter display. Both phones feature 3D Touch technology (which helps launch shortcuts when you long press the screen). Another feature included in both devices is the use of Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front.
- One of the biggest advances for iPhone 7 is the A10 chip powering it. There is a noticeable boost in speed between the A10m and A9 chip that powers the 6s.
- Apple claim that the A10, its first quad core chip, is 40% faster than the A9 (as seen on iPhone 6s). The A10 also has two high-performance cores and two lower powered cores for everyday tasks – so it can perform many functions buttery smooth without draining much battery. The iPhone 6s still performs well though.
- On the camera front, the iPhone 6s vs 7 competition is a relatively close one. Apple did improve a key area in the iPhone 7 however – low light photography.
- The front-facing camera also got an upgrade in the iPhone 7. A jump from 7MP to 5MP. Apple has installed a larger aperture lens in its rear-facing cameras for iPhone 7 with f/1.8 compared to f/2.2 seem on 6s.
- Some other camera improvements also include the use of OIS on iPhone 7, which helps in camera stabilization.
The exact battery capacity for the iPhone 7 is unknown, but it is said to last up to 2 hours longer than iPhone 6s which has a 1715 mAh battery.
- Here we see the lack of 3.5mm headphone jack for the iPhone 7, which many have criticised. Apple however went on to say it takes ‘courage’ to do that – which quickly became the butt of jokes online.
- To minimize the effect of removal of the jack, Apple has included stereo speakers on the iPhone 7. The 6s has just a single firing speaker.
- On this front however, many would say the 6s wins the iPhone 6s vs 7 battle.
Pricing and verdict
- The iPhone 7 retails at a starting price of Rs 49,999 and goes upto Rs 54,990. The iPhone 6s starts at Rs 33,999.
Neither of the phones are cheap and when compared to the 6s, the iPhone 7 is much more expensive. If you own an iPhone 6 and have the money to buy the iPhone 7, it’s worth an upgrade. The 6s owners are not missing out on lot of things and it is better off sticking with it.
iPhone 6S vs 7: The Rest
|Other Features||iPhone 7||iPhone 6S|
|Storage||32, 128, 256 GB||16, 32, 64, 128 GB|
|Software||iOS 11||iOS 11|
|Water-resistant||IP67 Rated||No water resistant|