Xiaomi is known for bringing flagship phones for much lower prices than its competitors. The Mi 8 was a brilliant success in China and is now available across the world.
Instead of the Mi 7, Xiaomi has released the Mi 8 for its 8th year anniversary. Like last year’s flagship, this phone is also made from shining Gorilla Glass 5. Around its edges is the curved aluminium frame and as a whole, the phone is rounded and comfortable to hold. The Mi 8 also comes with a soft plastic case. With there being no IP rating for dust and water resistance, it compels you to stay extra alert near water.
- Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen
- Supports HDR10 display and DCI-P3
- Front/rear glass and aluminium frame (7000 series)
- No 3.5 mm headphone jack
- No water or dust resistance
- No stereo speakers for the better multimedia experience
The phone has a lot going for it, with a 6.21 inch Super AMOLED screen which supports HDR10 display and DCI-P3 which will make for a sweet viewing experience. The phone also has a front/rear glass and aluminium frame (7000 series) which is a stellar design choice. The phone comes with its shortcomings though, having neither a 3.5mm jack nor an IP68 rating for dust and water resistance.
Xiaomi Mi 8 is a brilliant flagship that comes at an amazingly low price for the features it carries
One of the defining features of the Xiaomi Mi 8 is the larger screen size (6.21”) on the Super AMOLED, 1080x2246PX with 402 PPI touchscreen and an 18.7/9 aspect ratio, instead of the previously used IPS LCD. There is even a trendy notch cut out at the top to make room for extra space on the screen. The unique part of the software is if you want, you can choose to get rid of the notch by removing the extra space with a black strip.
The brightness is good as well, maxing at 458 nits, with the auto brightness mode taking it higher to 624 nits. Another benefit of the Mi8 is the always-on display so that you can get time and notifications at a glance.
The Xiaomi Mi 8 is a 7000-series aluminium frame covered in gorilla glass 5 all over. It has a 6.21″ Super AMOLED, 2,248×1,080px resolution, 18.7:9 aspect ratio, and a 402 PPI screen. With Android 8.1 Oreo, MIUI 9.5 custom overlay, and a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 octa-core CPU processor, the phone runs a 3400mAh Li-Po battery with Quick Charge 4.0. The Flagship has a 12+12MP dual camera setup with autofocus and a secondary telephoto lens.
Moving over to the back, you have the dual camera setup on the left with the fingerprint reader in the centre. The positioning of the reader is delightful as it is in the centre and secluded enough to not worry about smudging the lens of the camera — another option is infrared face recognition. The phone comes with storage either of 64, 126 or 356 gigs, and there is no expandable memory option. For audio, the Mi 8 has a single bottom speaker which scores high on loudness even against the stereo setup of certain competitors. It does not have a 3.5 mm jack and requires a type C adapter to use headphones
The phone runs a top of the line Snapdragon 845 with 6GB RAM and, as expected, the performance is excellent. However, it fails to reach the benchmarked expectation for other flagships due to poor heat management on the part of the processor.
The camera is a 12MP (f/1.8, 4-Axis OIS, Dual Pixel PDAF) + 12MP (f/2.4), 2x optical zoom dual LED flash. The images from the primary camera come out sharp and detailed with lively colours and excellent dynamic range, having very low noise. The AI mode is a beautiful addition as it recognises places and objects and enhances photos accordingly.
The telephoto camera allows you to go with optical zoom two times over to take a high-quality picture under good lighting.
In low light, the Mi 8 does an admirable job of delivering sharp photos with well-deserved colours – there’s still a little noise, though.
The portrait mode works very well, with subject separation providing the perfect ground for dynamic focus. The selfies also come out very good with the 20MP front camera. The Xiaomi Mi 8 records 4K videos in 30fps, and show good sharpness and detail, low noise, excellent contrast, and vivid colour rendition – the only issue is that they lack stabilisation.
The 3400 mAH battery has a total life endurance of 86 hours and comes with quick charge 4.0 – charging from 0 to 44% in half hour. The flagship phone runs an Android Oreo OS, but with enough proprietary changes to have its own identity.
The Xiaomi Mi 8 has a lot of strong points like the AMOLED screen, good battery life, nice cameras, tons of software features, and decent speakers (even though they are bottom firing). It has neither water resistance nor an audio jack, which was a problem with the Mi 6 as well. Despite that, the Mi 8 is a fantastic flagship that comes at a very good price.
- Bluetooth5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- Thickness0.30 inches
- Height6.10 inches
- Weight175 g
- ColorBlack, Blue, White, Gold
- BuildFront/back glass (Gorilla Glass 5), aluminum frame (7000 series)
- Width2.94 inches
- Display TypeSuper AMOLED capacitive touchscreen
- Screen Size6.21 inches
- Pixel Density402 ppi
- ProtectionCorning Gorilla Glass 5
- Display Resolution1080 x 2248 pixels
- Aspect Ratio18.7:9
- Screen to Body Ratio83.80%
- CPUOcta-core (4x2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold 4x1.8 GHz Kryo 385 Silver)
- Chipset GPQualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845 (10 nm)
- GPUAdreno 630
- OSAndroid 8.1 (Oreo), upgradable to Android 9.0 (Pie) MIUI 10.1
- Expandable MemoryNo
- RAM/Internal Storage64/128/256 GB, 6 GB RAM or 128 GB, 8 GB RAM
- Dual Camera12 MP, f/1.8, 1/2.55, 1.4 micron12 MP, f/2.4, 56mm (telephoto), 1/3.4, 1.0 micron, 2x optical zoom
- Back Camera FeaturesDual-LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Autofocusdual pixel PDAF, AF
- OIS4-axis OIS
- Back Camera Video2160p30/60fps, 1080p30/120/240fps, 720p960fps
- Front Camera Video1080p30fps
- Single Camera20 MP, f/2.0, 0.9 micron
- HeadPhone JackYes
- Audio FeaturesActive noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- User ReplaceableNon-removable
- Battery Capacity3400 mAh
- ChargingFast battery charging 18W (Quick Charge 4)
- Battery TypeLi-Po
- USBType-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Network SupportGSM / CDMA / HSPA / LTE
- GPSYes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- SIMDual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- WLANWi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- SensorsInfrared face recognition, fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, barometer, compass
- Announced On2018, May
- StatusAvailable. Released 2018, June
Price / Buy
Get the best price for Xiaomi Mi 8
- Monthly Round-up Of Smartphones Launched in August 2020!Sat, 26 Sep'20The August month of 2020 was full of exciting launches of new mobile phones. There were 15 new launches in total and some took the market by surprise and filled people with excitement while others didn't have such an impact. Here are all the new smartphones that were announced in August 2020.
- Bluetooth Headsets have become quite common over the recent few years given the fact that most premium smartphones have decided to stop including the 3.5mm audio jack. Several smartphone manufacturers have launched Wireless headsets of their own to capture a fair share of the market. However, one question that has not been answered for several years is how does one decide between Bluetooth Headphones or True Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds.
- Top 10 Racing Games For Android And iOS!Sun, 20 Sep'20We all have grown up playing racing games all our life and these games are still very popular which is why these racing games are evergreen and everyone loves them. With smartphones becoming more and more powerful in recent times with highly powerful processors and GPUs, gaming on smartphones is much more fun than ever. And racing games being favorite of all here we list out the Top 10 Racing Games For Android And iOS!
- Best Emulators For Playing Console Games On Android!Sat, 19 Sep'20The classic console games were a lot of fun back then and we enjoyed playing these on our consoles a lot. These games included Super Mario, Contra, Pokemon, Pac-MAN etc. Fortunately we have some emulators on Android that ca run these same classic console games on our Android smartphone, and here are the Best Emulators For Playing Console Games on Android!
- How To Watch IPL 2020 For Free On Your Mobile Phone?Tue, 15 Sep'20Finally IPL 2020 is around the corner. After all the uncertainties because of this Covid-19 pandemic situation, the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League is ready to hit the ground. It's really good news to the cricket fans from every corner of the globe. People are searching for different streaming platforms to watch IPL online. Here we have provided 5 best platforms to stream IPL from mobile.
- Top 5 Flagship Smartphones That You Can Buy Right NowMon, 14 Sep'20When most people are buying a new smartphone, they consider a lot of factors to ensure that they make the right purchase decision for themselves, the price segment is an important aspect for purchase for the vast majority of the users. However, if you are not one among them and want the absolute best smartphone experience that money can buy, then we have compiled a list of the top 5 flagship smartphones that offer the most premium experience at a price.
- Top 5 Smart Watches You Can Buy In India Right Now!Thu, 10 Sep'20Smart Watches is a segment of the technology and wearable space that has seen a massive rise in the past few years, we’ve seen multiple iterations of the original Apple Watch over the years and also several Android Wear watches that have good integration with the Android smartphones. Samsung, Huami, Fitbit, and other brands have also launched multiple smartwatches that run on Tizen and other proprietary operating systems with good integration with both Android and iOS.
- 10 Best Apps To Learn Cooking On Android!Fri, 4 Sep'20Though there are hundreds of cooking apps to choose from, these cooking apps are top-rated and highly recommended owing to their unique features and also ease of use. All these apps have made everything handy, easy to follow, and quick. These apps also try to make the cooking experience more creative and enjoyable. Cooking apps are truly helpful not only for beginners but also for regular cooks. From breakfast to dinner, you can count on their recipes as they all provide irresistible recipes. You just need to get into the kitchen and follow them without any ifs or buts. They will surely lend a helping hand in the kitchen through their recipes.
- 10 Best Mobile Games That You Must Play In 2020!Fri, 4 Sep'20While everyone is staying home being safe, mobile gaming is something that has kept us entertained during this pandemic. Here we have listed out some of the best mobile games that you must not miss and should definitely try it out. All these games are free to download and are available on both Android and iOS app stores.
- Top 10 Best Gaming Phones In India – 2020 Edition!Thu, 3 Sep'20Gaming smartphones is a new segment that has recently developed into a massive interest for many, we have even started seeing several new devices come with budget gaming focussed processors such as the Snapdragon 765G by Qualcomm. However, if you are looking for the ultimate gaming smartphone then there’s more to consider than just the SoC on the smartphone, factors like the display, audio, and the overall software experience add up to offer the smoothest gaming experience. Here are the top 10 gaming smartphones to buy in 2020.
- 7.9spec scorePOCO X3₹16,999Add to compare
- 7.6spec scoreRealme 7₹14,999Add to compare
- 6.9spec scoreTecno Spark Go 2020₹6,499Add to compare
- 7.2spec scoreVivo Y20i₹11,490Add to compare
- 7.6spec scorePOCO M2₹10,999Add to compare
- 7.5spec scoreInfinix Note 7₹11,499Add to compare
- 7.6spec scoreNokia 5.3₹13,999Add to compare
- 7.4spec scoreOPPO F17₹17,990Add to compare
- 7.4spec scoreSamsung Galaxy Z Fold2₹149,999Add to compare
- 6.9spec scoreXiaomi Redmi 9i₹8,299Add to compare