A fantastic mid-range model, Vivo V9, it has excellent AI integration in its powerful cameras. Priced at Rs. 14,994, the Vivo V9 can be a mid-range marvel with a bit of a hiccup in the performance department.
While the Vivo V9 appears beautiful with a comfortable design and a bright display, the phone begins to struggle with its weak battery and weak performance. However, if you are someone who’s looking for a phone with a great set of AI-integrated cameras arriving at a low price, then this can be a great phone to consider.
- The Vivo V9 has an almost premium design with ergonomic advantage for the comfort of the user.
- The Vivo V9 has a fantastic IPS screen with the latest 19:9 aspect ratio and a massive 90% screen to body ratio ensuring that you get an immersive experience.
- The AI integrated rear camera can work wonderfully to capture the details of daylight images.
- The selfie-camera is also AI integrated, and it helps to remove blemishes by using Beautify mode, which is capable of detecting several aspects of the human face.
- The back panel of the Vivo V9 attracts fingerprint smudges.
- The phone lags in the performance department as it is fitted with a mediocre processor that results in choppy gaming performance.
- The battery of the phone is just about average. With light use, it can get through an entire day, but it struggles with moderate use.
- The low-light performance of the camera is just average.
The Vivo V9 is a potent model and is capable of performing essential tasks without a stutter. However, it does lag when it is matched with the competitors that it is facing in the mid-range market. If you want a capable phone without shelling out too much money for a Samsung or Redmi, then this might be a good phone to consider.
The Vivo V9 is a brilliant mid-range phone with beautiful cameras and display, but it struggles to add enough power under its hood.
The Vivo V9 arrives with a 6.3-inch IPS screen with a 1080×2280 resolution and a modern 9:19 aspect ratio. The phone has decent viewing angles, but there is a bit of a reddish tinge to the colour, stealing its punchy effect.
The screen is large enough, and gives an immersive effect with a screen-to-body ratio of about 90 per cent. The display is quite bright, but the only problem is that the screen struggles when it comes under direct sunlight.
Vivo V9 comes with a user-friendly width and length which is adequate to be both comfortable as well as an immersive experience. The phone has a small notch which has the selfie camera and ambient light sensors on it, along with a tiny notification light. The mid-range phone may not feel premium, but it is not cheap either. The glossy rear panel is of a plastic build, and due to its glossy finish, it tends to get fingerprint smudges on it.
The back panel houses the fingerprint scanner, which is a bit too high to be completely comfortable. The phone comes with rounded corners and thus sits comfortably in your palm. Plus, at 150g, it is quite light-weight too.
The Vivo V9 may have a near-premium design, but its internals are a bit on the lower end. The phone is fitted with an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 626, SoC which is clocked at 2.2GHz, paired with 4GB of RAM. The Snapdragon 600 series is a reliable chipset, but it falls short of the faster and modern 800 series. However, the phone runs quite well, without lagging when running multiple apps. It gets 4546 points in multi-core score in Geekbench 4. In general, the Face Unlock feature works wonderfully and is quite snappy, especially in well-lit conditions.
Regarding gaming, the phone can run casual games smoothly without any issue. However, when it comes to modern games, the phone falters – especially with high-end games being run at high graphics. Being a mid-range phone, the Vivo V9 comes with quite a mediocre processor.
The Vivo V9 arrives with a 16MP primary sensor along with a 5MP depth sensor. It also has an AI-powered beautify mode which, as per Vivo, can detect gender, age, skin tone, texture, and lighting angles and use such information for enhancing the output. The phone could provide decent photos in ideal light conditions, with quick focus and accurate exposure.
However, the output lacked a bit of detail and was a bit grainy. Macros were better as it was possible to distinguish between background and subject. In low light, the camera quality dropped drastically. The focus was slow, and the phone failed to capture enough details. The shots turn out blurry.
The Vivo V9 arrives with a 24MP front camera along with AI-assisted beautify mode. The selfies carry enough details to be put on social media. However, at night, they capture a lot of visual noise.
The Vivo V9 maxes out at 4K video recording which results in fantastic footage being captured. However, the phone does not offer Optical Image Stabilization or Electronic Image Stabilisation, which means the footage can get shaky.
The Vivo V9 arrives with a 3260mAh battery which, as per the phone capacity, is quite an average one. Moderate use – like playing PUBG, streaming YouTube videos and WhatsApp – found the battery getting drained by evening.
Running an HD video on loop saw that the phone was able to last for about 8 hours and 49 minutes, which is quite average. All in all, the phone does not come equipped with a capable battery.
The Vivo V9 comes with a beautiful design and stunning display, but it falters when it comes to its internals. It arrives with a dated processor which tends to lag with intensive gaming. The battery powering the phone does not have enough juice to last the phone for a long time, and the cameras are just passable, struggling in low-light situations. On the whole, the phone is just okay and suitable for anymore looking for a cheap model to enter the low-tier mid-range phones.
However, there are much better phones present in the market, and so, Vivo V9 is not the best recommendation.
- Bluetooth4.2, A2DP, LE
- ColorSapphire Blue
- Back Camera5 MP
- Front Camera24 MP
- Thickness0.31 inches
- Height6.09 inches
- Weight150 g
- ColorSapphire Blue
- ColorGold, Black, Sapphire Blue
- BuildPlastic body
- Width2.96 inches
- Display TypeIPS LCD capacitive touchscreen
- Display Size6.25 inch to 6.5 inch
- Screen Size6.3 inches
- Display Resolution1080 x 2280 pixels
- Display TypeIPS LCD
- Pixel Density400 ppi
- Screen to Body Ratio85.20%
- CPUOcta-core 2.2 GHz Cortex-A53
- OSAndroid 8.1 (Oreo) Funtouch 4
- Chipset GPQualcomm MSM8953-Pro Snapdragon 626 (14 nm)
- RAM4 GB RAM
- GPUAdreno 506
- Storage64 GB
- Expandable MemorymicroSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)
- RAM/Internal Storage64 GB, 4 GB RAM
- Back Camera FeaturesDual-LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Dual Camera16 MP, f/2.05 MP, depth sensor
- Back Camera Video2160p30fps, 1080p30fps
- Front Camera Video1080p30fps
- Single Camera24 MP, f/2.0
- Audio FeaturesActive noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- HeadPhone JackYes
- Battery Capacity3260 mAh
- User ReplaceableNon-removable
- Battery Capacity3200 mAh to 3400 mAh
- Battery TypeLi-Ion
- USBmicroUSB 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- RadioFM radio, recording
- SIMDual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Network SupportGSM / HSPA / LTE
- GPSYes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- WLANWi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, WiFi Direct, hotspot
- SensorsFingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Announced On2018, March
- StatusAvailable. Released 2018, April
Price / Buy
Get the best price for Vivo V9
- All flagships, and even mid-range devices now offer fast charging support. But they all seem to be called by different names. From a consumer perspective, this can get rather confusing. Which is why we’re here to clarify it for you. Let’s compare OnePlus’s Dash Charging, LG’s Rapid Charging, and the popularly used Quick Charging. Quick…
- 5 Famous Cricketers And Their GadgetsMon, 14 Oct'19If you’re among the top professional cricketers, you’re going to be getting both money and fame, at least here in India. So it doesn’t come in as any surprise that all the major cricketers have a lot of fancy gadgets they would like to show off. Let’s focus on their gadgets – smartphones, consoles and all!…
- Selling your old smartphone was never this easyFri, 11 Oct'19With each and every day technology is evolving and so are we. With daily upgrading technology, we also get the urge of owning a new iteration of the gadget over their previous one and the most countable among them is your smartphone. Isn’t so? But, the biggest question that becomes the concern is, what will…
- Where To Buy And Sell Refurbished Mobile PhonesFri, 11 Oct'19Everyone is looking for a high-end phone, but the problem is paying the high prices associated with them. Some are quite happy to pay the retail price, but there are many others who are always looking for a deal. One of the ways we can find our favourite smartphones for cheap is to look for…
- While buying a new smartphone we make sure to accessorise our phone well. We doll it up and take care of it like a baby. Screen guards or screen protectors are very essential while ensuring the well-being of your phone screens. They will help you shield your phone screens from everyday scratches, breakage or any…
- Battery anxiety isn’t uncommon on smartphones. If anything, it is the universal truth of the smartphone age we live in. That doesn’t mean it is here to stay though. With some handy tips and tricks, it is possible to fix common battery drain issues. #1 – Use Battery saver apps Battery saver apps like Dr.…
- What Phone Would Stranger Things Characters Use?Tue, 9 Jul'19Everyone knows about the Stranger Things TV show on Netflix. Those who don’t are obviously living under a rock. The TV series based on the 80s is grabbing a lot of eyeballs across the globe, and it seems logical, being the gadget enthusiasts we are, that we tell you each characters’ mobile phone preference if…
- What Phones Would Breaking Bad Characters Use?Tue, 9 Jul'19Breaking Bad can be considered as one of the most revered TV series of all time. We can’t deny that the drama, suspense and the hype it created around itself is something of a legend itself. Even 5 years after the historic show ended, quotes and dialogues from some of the most epic moments in…
- While scrolling through your old photos, ever wondered where a certain pic was taken? Every smartphone has some essential details about the photos taken such as its date, time, size, etc. It also stores the location the photo was taken at, provided your phone had GPS running at that point. In this comprehensive guide, we…
- Chinese smartphone maker Huawei is at the forefront of the 5G tech – it recently conducted successful trials of the technology in partnership with Ericsson in Europe. As India is trying to formulate a roadmap for the introduction of 5G in the country, Huawei is again becoming an active participant to bring about innovation in telecommunication. Airtel…
Discover Phones Best For You
- 8spec scoreOppo F9Add to compare
- 7.8spec scoreHonor Play₹11,999Add to compare
- 7.8spec scoreHonor 10 Lite₹8,999Add to compare
- 7.9spec scoreVivo V9 Youth₹13,000Add to compare
- 8spec scoreOppo F7₹21,923Add to compare
- 8spec scoreHonor 10₹24,999Add to compare
- 7.7spec scoreVivo Z1Add to compare
- 7.8spec scoreVivo V11IAdd to compare
- 8.3spec scoreRealme 3 Pro₹12,999Add to compare
- 8.1spec scoreRealme U1₹8,999Add to compare
- 7.1spec scoreApple iPhone 11 Pro Max₹109,900Add to compare
- 7.9spec scoreSony Xperia 10Add to compare
- 8spec scoreXiaomi Black SharkAdd to compare
- 7.4spec scoreXiaomi Mi Mix 3Add to compare
- 7.8spec scoreVivo S1₹17,990Add to compare
- 7.9spec scoreOppo A5s₹8,990Add to compare
- 7.9spec scoreXiaomi Redmi Y3₹8,999Add to compare
- 7.7spec scoreXiaomi Redmi 7₹5,999Add to compare
- 7.8spec scoreSamsung Galaxy M30₹11,999Add to compare
- 8spec scoreHonor View 20₹23,990Add to compare