Clubhouse Popularity Soars As Privacy And Security Remain Key Challenges
Clubhouse, an audio-only social networking app, has been getting immensely popular in the last couple of weeks. The app gained popularity when Elon Musk, the founder of Tesla and SpaceX, gave an interview on the platform.
The interview was being heard by more than 5,000 people on the app. The interview was streamed on YouTube, which is against the Terms of Services of Clubhouse. Since then, the Clubhouse has found its way to the top of the list of startup apps.
Paul Davison and Rohan Seth founded the app in March of 2020, Clubhouse currently has more than two million users.
One interesting thing to note here is that the app is invite-only, with one user able to invite only two more to the platform. Many popular celebrities such as Jared Leto, Kevin Hart, Kayne West have made an appearance on the platform.
In the last few days, many users were concerned about their privacy when speculations about the app being not safe came to the spotlight.
Also Read: Whatsapp To Soon Get New Media Footers
What are Clubhouse privacy concerns?
The biggest privacy concern when it comes to Clubhouse is that anyone can record a room. Last month, the Stanford Internet Observatory found out that one user was recording all audio from various rooms and streaming it to another website. The app quickly responded to Bloomberg, stating they immediately banned the user for breaching their ToS. Moreover, the company said they have implemented safeguard features that will ensure this does not happen again.
A week later, several other privacy concerns put Clubhouse back in the spotlight. This time, the Stanford Internet Observatory found out that the app lacked basic security features. Clubhouse shared users Clubhouse ID and their chatroom ID in plaintext. Also, the company responsible for handling the backend is a Chinese company named Agora.
It seems like the company has to still work on user privacy quite a bit before it is publicly available. Despite all privacy concerns, Clubhouse continues to gain popularity at a steady pace.
- IPL Live Streaming Free Online: Best Free Ways to Watch IPL 2021 Cricket Matches on Your Mobile PhoneBest Free Ways to Watch IPL 2021 Cricket Matches for Free
- Read this to know the top five reasons to buy the all-new Vivo X60 Pro Plus.
- How To Save Your Smartphone From Water Damage During Holi
- Recently OPPO launched its latest smartphone, OPPO F19 Pro+ 5G. Speaking of the name first, Oppo could have used some other short and crisp name and yes there is 5G also. Here is a quick review of the all-new OPPO F19 Pro+ 5G in just 2 minutes. Design As for the design, there has been…
- How To Win A OnePlus 9 For FREE?
Latest ReviewsView All
- Read the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra review to know if it is really the best camera phone of the year.