Xiaomi has upset the budget flagship market yet again with the release of Redmi 4. Priced at a meagre Rs. 6,999 – this flagship product comes with a good camera and capable performance that is an exception in this range.
Redmi 4 runs Android 6.0 Marshmallow, which is a bit dated. MIUI does not boost its performance, and it might seem a bit slow. However, if you ignore a slight drop in an overall fantastic performance, Redmi 4 still packs power, great cameras, and a crisp display – all in one, coming in style at a great price range.
A bit bulkier due to the increased battery but still premium-looking, the Redmi 4 arrives with both looks and performance. It comes with a great camera, a supportive UI, and a significant improvement in low-light images. Plus, it packs quite a punch with its potent processor backed by a juicy battery that keeps chugging through the day, even after heavy use.
Amping up on photography features, Redmi 4 comes with an outstanding camera. It captures well-balanced pictures with excellent colour accuracy, faster focus, and quick processing. Though low-light suffers a blow, it is still better than Redmi 3s Prime.
A battery saver and a smoother performer, Redmi 4 works hard to keep you pleased. Though the MIUI might seem slightly sluggish, it can get you through basic calling, messaging, social media browsing functions, and moderate gaming easily without a hitch. Heavy games can get laggy but stay playable.
Arriving with few shortcomings that can be expected at this range, Redmi 4 will not disappoint its users. It feels great and works beautifully making it a stylish upgrade for power users.
Redmi 4 steps into the zone of clicking moderate low-light photography while backing it up with snappy performance and a great display, but it can get a bit sluggish at times.
Redmi 4 doesn’t go for any significant upgrades with their display. It comes with a 5-inch IPS LCD 720p HD display and a pixel density of 294 ppi, which produces a sharp display and bright colours. The screen is fitted with 2.5D glass on top to protect it from scratches. Harsh sunlight doesn’t make it difficult to read on the phone giving it good sunlight legibility. However, the navigation buttons sitting at the bottom of the display are not backlit which downgrades the style in comparison to the bright notification LED below the Home button.
In the price range, Redmi 4 is a premium-looking phone, especially the matte black variant. The back panel is made of aluminium while the head and chin get uninterrupted reception due to the use of polycarbonate. The rounded edges with a curved back and the 2.5D curved glass at the front make it handy and smooth to hold, even with one hand. Though a bit on the bulky side due to the juicy battery, Redmi 4 comes at 150 grams which won’t get your arms sore. At the back, the camera is nestled at the top corner, but the back-centre is housing the fingerprint scanner. It looks big, can be reached easily, and is quite snappy.
Powered by the Snapdragon 435 octa-core processor clocked at 1.4GHz coupled with the graphics performance of the Adreno 505 GPU, Redmi 4 is capable of smooth processing. Though the MIUI may get a bit sluggish at times, it does not create a significant slowdown issue. Moderate functions like multimedia use, social networking, and browsing are fast and does not cause any lag. However, heavy games like Asphalt 8 might stutter a bit. Redmi 4 scored 43,677 for processing and 5,890 for GPU, which is at par with other Snapdragon 435 powered phones.
Redmi 4 has a 13MP rear camera with f/2.0 aperture, activated with Phase Detection AutoFocus (PDAF), and an LED flash. The PDAF works like a charm with fast detection and snappy image processing that is much faster than the Redmi 3S Prime. Speed does not take away the quality – Redmi 4 produces detailed pictures with vibrant colours that are not distorted by noise. While Macro shots may get a slight haziness, turning on HDR mode helps to remove it. The problem is, HDR mode makes the capturing and image processing very slow, and without steady hands working behind the phone, the image quality will seriously deteriorate. Therefore, a proper light source is a must for well-balanced images.
Low-light photography gets a small boost in Redmi 4, capturing much better well-lit pictures than Redmi 3s Prime. Dim lights catch a lot of noise, and the low-light images lack definition. Even the motion blur increases significantly.
Redmi 4 has a 5MP front camera with a f/2.2 aperture which can click striking images under well-lit situations. Images clicked under dim light will produce graininess and loss of details. The lack of screen flash is noticeable, especially while clicking selfies in low-light conditions.
The Camera UI is excellent and helpful in most cases. You can get an added colour balance on well-lit images by adjusting the brightness level on the UI. It offers multiple modes and settings to play with. However, the thick black panel that the UI produces takes up about 70% of the phone which clutters the 5-inch display.
Despite being packed with a whopping 4,100 mAh battery, Redmi 4’s camera is its main highlight. Moderate use of basic features like calling, occasional use of social media, and browsing the internet gets you about 35 hours of backup. Heavy use can get you sailing to the end of the day without any issue. Constant HD video loop found it running for 14 hours 20 minutes which is marvellous for this range. Plus, Xiaomi has confirmed that Redmi 4 supports Quick Charge 3.0. So this juicy battery can get back all its power from 0% to 100% in just 2.5 hours!
Redmi 4, as is usual for Xiaomi releases, has set a standard for budget flagship models. While it does not ‘wow’ when it comes to its looks, the power-packed performance and juicy battery are enough to get you a smooth phone experience without creating any Low Battery Anxiety. This phone is for budget power user looking for a cheap upgrade.
- Bluetooth4.2, A2DP, LE
- Back Camera13 MP
- Front Camera5 MP
- Thickness0.34 inches
- Height5.48 inches
- Weight150 g
- ColorBlack, Gold
- BuildFront glass, aluminum body
- Width2.76 inches
- Display TypeIPS LCD capacitive touchscreen
- Screen Size5.0 inches
- Screen Resolution720X1280
- Display TypeIPS LCD
- Pixel Density294 ppi
- ProtectionCorning Gorilla Glass (unspecified version)
- Display Size4.75 inch to 5 inch
- Display Resolution720 x 1280 pixels
- Screen to Body Ratio70.70%
- CPUOcta-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A53
- Chipset GPQualcomm MSM8940 Snapdragon 435 (28 nm)
- RAM2 GB RAM
- GPUAdreno 505
- OSAndroid 6.0.1 (Marshmallow), upgradable to 7.1.2 (Nougat) MIUI 10
- ChipsetQualcomm MSM8940 Snapdragon 435
- Expandable MemorymicroSD, up to 128 GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Storage16 GB
- RAM/Internal Storage64 GB, 4 GB RAM or 32 GB, 3 GB RAM or 16 GB, 2 GB RAM
- Single Camera13 MP, f/2.0
- Back Camera FeaturesLED flash, HDR, panorama
- Back Camera Video1080p30fps
- Front Camera Video1080p30fps
- Single Camera5 MP, f/2.2
- HeadPhone JackYes
- Audio FeaturesActive noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- Talk TimeUp to 36 h (3G)
- User ReplaceableNon-removable
- Battery Capacity4100 mAh
- Battery Capacity4100 mAh
- Music TimeUp to 87 h
- Battery TypeLi-Po
- USBmicroUSB 2.0
- RadioFM radio
- Network SupportGSM / HSPA / LTE
- GPSYes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- SIMHybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM/ Micro-SIM, dual stand-by)
- WLANWi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- SensorsFingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Announced On2017, May
- StatusAvailable. Released 2017, May
Price / Buy
Get the best price for Xiaomi Redmi 4
Get the best price for Xiaomi Redmi 4
- With each passing day, online streaming providers including Netflix. Prime Videos and Hotstar is getting more popular. These internet content providers make it extremely easy to stream content on portable devices including smartphones. New smartphones such as the OnePlus 7 Pro, iPhone 11 and the Samsung Galaxy S20 now support HDR Displays that can really improve the quality of content delivery for the supported content.
- Best Smartphones with 8GB RAMFri, 27 Mar'20RAM is an important and integral component of a smartphone, it has generally been in our minds that having more RAM makes a smartphone faster, we don’t deny it but it’s not true completely. Having more RAM in a smartphone makes app loading times faster, and enables a smoother overall smartphone experience. And here is the list of the few best smartphones with 8GB RAM in India.
- Best 5G Smartphones That You Can Buy Right Now In India!Thu, 26 Mar'205G rumours and testing has been hovering all around the world, and India has finally got some officially launched 5G Smartphones that are available for sale. Many People do not change their smartphones every now and then, and continue to use it for 4-5years. India will be getting the 5G services in the upcoming few years, and if you are the one who doesn’t change the phone often and want to be ready with a 5G handset before the network becomes live, here are a list of the best few 5G Smartphones available in India right now.
- The COVID19 Crisis has left kids and elders stranded at home all alike, without regular classes going on for children it is important to keep them busy with something productive so that they don’t get bored. This is a great opportunity to get your children familiar with something that they can enjoy without having to keep them under constant supervision.
- The COVID-19 outbreak might have got everyone around here by a surprise but we gotta respect the government's decision to keep things outright. While doing so, which means you have to stay under any circumstances, it gets really boring for not being able to catch up with your friends and whatnot. Well, here are some games for you to try out when quarantined.
- Best Budget Smartphones Under Rs. 7000 In IndiaThu, 26 Mar'20Budget smartphone category is the one that most buyers in India aim for, this range of smartphones is best suited for those who are looking for a smartphone that is good for basic social media, calling and internet browsing. In this article, we list out some of the best smartphones that fall under this under Rs. 7000 price segment.
- Top 5 Android Smartphones with 6GB RAMThu, 26 Mar'20With advancements in technology, smartphones have become extremely common these days. It is something that most people use several times a day to communicate, to play games and sometimes, even to get work done. RAM is an integral component of the smartphone that helps it perform smoothly. Here is a list of top 5 smartphones with 6 GB RAM.
- Best Apps For Android And iOS To Help You Work From HomeThu, 26 Mar'20The Novel Corona Virus or COVID19 has caused major disruption in work schedules for many people, offices are being shut down and people are being asked to work from home all across the world. This massive change in the work climate demands changes in the ways you work, applications like Slack, Zoom, and Trello help you work easily from home collaborating with your team remotely.
- Best Free Android Launchers to Hide ApplicationsThu, 26 Mar'20While each Android Smartphone comes with a default launcher, most people tend to replace the default launcher with one of the amazing 3rd party launchers in the Google Play Store. There are several amazing launchers such as the Microsoft Launcher and Poco launcher that add a lot of functionality and come with the Hide Application feature as well that lets you hide some of your apps from the app drawer.
- Useful Ways to Utilise Your Smartphone CameraTue, 24 Mar'20There are ways to use your smartphone’s camera other than shooting photos and videos. This can include scanning barcodes, taking pictures for proof, etc and we will discuss the best ways in which you can utilize your phone’s camera.
Discover Phones Best For You
- 7.8spec scoreRealme 6₹12,999Add to compare
- 6.8spec scoreOPPO Reno3 Pro₹29,990Add to compare
- 7.6spec scoreRealme X50 Pro 5G₹37,999Add to compare
- 7.8spec scoreSamsung Galaxy S20 Ultra₹92,999Add to compare
- 7.6spec scoreXiaomi Black Shark 3Add to compare
- 8spec scoreOPPO Find X2Add to compare
- 7.6spec scoreRealme 6 Pro₹16,999Add to compare
- 8spec scoreXiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro MaxAdd to compare
- 7.8spec scoreXiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro₹12,999Add to compare
- 7.6spec scoreSamsung Galaxy S20₹66,999Add to compare