The Central Board Of Direct Taxes has extended the last date to link Aadhar with PAN for the fifth time. The last date for doing the same is June 30th, 2023. As per the government, every person who has been allotted PAN as of July 1st, 2017, needs to link it with the Aadhar card on a mandatory basis. Failure to do so will result in repercussions. So, by July 1st, 2023, for taxpayers who haven’t linked both these identification cards, their PAN will become inoperative.
Linking Aadhar with PAN is a simple and straightforward process, and it can be done Online and via SMS too. In this post, we have shared all the details about the same. So, let’s get started.
Also Read: Link Aadhaar With Mobile Number In Three Different Ways
What Happens If You Don’t Link Aadhar With PAN?
Before moving to the steps, let us first see what happens if you don’t link Aadhar with PAN.
- Your PAN will become inoperative if not linked with Aadhar.
- Refunds won’t be made against such PANs.
- No interest will be payable on the refund for PANs which are not linked.
- TDS deduction will attract a higher rate.
What Happens if Your PAN becomes Inoperative?
If by any chance you fail to link Aadhar with PAN in the given time period, you can still make it functional by paying a late fine of Rs. 1,000.
As per CBDT, “The PAN can be made operative again in 30 days, upon intimation of Aadhaar to the prescribed authority after payment of a fee of Rs 1,000”.
How To Link Aadhar With PAN?
Let us now see all the ways to link Aadhar with PAN.
- Visit the e-filing website of the Income Tax Department of India.
- Now, log in to your account.
- Next, under the Profile section, click on “Link Aadhar”.
- Then, enter your PAN, Aadhar number and name as per the Aadhar.
- Finally, verify the details and click on submit.
- An OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number. Enter it and validate the process, and you are done.
- Type UIDPAN <12-digit Aadhar number><10-digit PAN>.
- Now, send it to 567678 or 56161.
The format would be like this:
|SMS ‘UIDPAN Aadhaar-number PAN-number to 567678 or 56161|
Failed To Link Aadhar with PAN? What to do?
If while linking Aadhar with PAN, you get an error message, you need to visit your nearest PAN centre and submit a signed Aadhar seeding form. You also need to carry all the relevant documents like PAN and Aadhar card along with the seeding form. But you must know that it is a chargeable process.
Linking Aadhar with PAN is not mandatory for these People
These four categories need not link their Aadhar with PAN. However, if they wish to, they can do so, but it is not mandatory by the government.
- Residents of Jammu & Kashmir, Assam and Meghalaya
- Non-resident Indians (NRIs)
- People above the age of 80 years or more at any time during the previous year
- Individuals who are not a citizen of India.
Linking Aadhar with PAN has been made mandatory by the government. In a press release released on March 28, 2023, CBDT said, “In order to provide some more time to the taxpayers, the date for linking PAN and Aadhaar has been extended to 30th June 2023, whereby persons can intimate their Aadhaar to the prescribed authority for Aadhaar-PAN linking without facing repercussions.” So, go ahead and do the needful.
Also Read: How To Change Mobile Number In Aadhaar Card Online?
Cashify can help you Sell phone online at the best prices. You can also Recycle old phone from your doorsteps.