Carl Pei’s Nothing Now Owns Andy Rubin’s Essential
Nothing, the new startup by OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei, is making news for quite some time now. The company has now acquired the one-time (and now defunct) smartphone brand Essential. After securing 7 million in round one funding, Alphabet’s GV had also invested in this Carl Pei-led brand. Moreover, the company is notably tight-lip on how the new company plans to make its mark in the technology market.
Earlier this month, Nothing was reportedly looking at launching true wireless stereo (TWS) earbuds this year. Now, the latest acquisition hints that it can be looking at coming up with its own smartphone lineup as well. However, one should note that it is not confirmed.
Nothing and its Future Plans?
According to a report by 9to5Google, recent filings at the UK Intellectual Property Office show that Essential co-founder, former Android CEO Andy Rubin, has signed over ownership of the company to Carl Pei’s Nothing Technologies Limited. The publication says that the application was filed as early as November 11, 2020. Additionally, it happened on January 6 this year.
Also Read: How To Recover Deleted Photos On Android?
Moreover, the deal also ensures that all existing trademarks, logos of Essential are now intellectual property of Nothing. In turn, it leads to speculations that they can be entering the smartphone market in the near future.
To recall, Essential was apparently working on its own Home Smart Hub and a speaker that will run “Ambient OS”. It originally planned to launch in 2017 but did not for reasons unknown. Since Nothing is about audio, it makes sense for it to acquire Essential considering the latter was reportedly working on audio products as well.
Additionally, there are speculations that the company acquires to get access to the latter’s patent catalog based on “voice-enabled home setup and Voice setup instructions”. Moreover, Pei’s Nothing will be coming to India as well. This is according to what looks like a trademark application filed in the country and spotted by Mukul Sharma. Considering India is one of the fast-growing markets with regards to electronics and connected home solutions, it only makes sense for Nothing to leverage on that.
- I recall my first hands-on experience with a Tecno smartphone was in 2018. From then till now, Tecno has significantly grown in India. I have had friends coming up to me talking about their Tecno smartphones. Today, we have one such promising smartphone from the brand, it’s their all-new Tecno Spark 7. For those who…
- Is Google Pixel 4A a good pick in 2021? Should you invest in it right now? Read to know more.
- IPL Live Streaming Free Online: Best Free Ways to Watch IPL 2021 Cricket Matches on Your Mobile PhoneBest Free Ways to Watch IPL 2021 Cricket Matches for Free
- Read this to know the top five reasons to buy the all-new Vivo X60 Pro Plus.
- How To Save Your Smartphone From Water Damage During Holi