The Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus bring with them a revolution, by moving away from the flat S-series design. The S8 and S8 Plus both feature curved screens, better known as the “Infinity Display” screens.
A Midnight Black Samsung Galaxy S8 with 64GB internal memory and 4GB RAM comes for around Rs40,000. Knowing how good the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus is, and given the specifications of the Galaxy S8, could it be possible that the little brother brings a better deal?
With their new flagships, Samsung has ventured into a new direction, spearheaded by their new Infinity Display screen. They say it’s the next big thing, and they have bet all their chips on the success of the AMOLED curved screen, which to be honest, makes us drool! The Samsung Galaxy S8 has done away with the home button, and in its place, we find the on-screen navigation bar and a slight sensation at pressing it, emulated by the haptic flutter. It runs the latest Android on an Exynos 8895 Processor with a 10nm chip. The 5.8 inch Quad HD+ Curved Screen featuring the Infinity Display is a pleasure to have on this phone. It has a 12MP rear camera and an 8MP front camera as well.
With its unique set of features and the Infinity Display, it’s definitely primed to be a bestseller.
The battery life is a bit poor, and Bixby does have some problems with recognising items.
Poor Battery Life
Awkward position of the fingerprint sensor
As a compact masterpiece set to bring all the best-in-class features to your fingertips, the Galaxy S8 is worth your every buck
The Galaxy S8 has an elegant appearance just like the Galaxy S8 Plus. You get the same curved AMOLED Screen with the diagonal being smaller in this iteration. It gets its name “Infinity Display” because of the minimal bezels, and provides the same resolution for the S8 as you may find on the S8 Plus. The home button is history, having been replaced by a virtual one on the screen which provides a haptic flutter sensation on pressing.
The size almost aligns perfectly for a user as you find yourself using it with one hand. The fingerprint scanner is also placed at the back, albeit in a very awkward position.
The Samsung S8 comes with a great craftsmanship. It has a bigger screen and though it does have bezels, the display is immersive. Gorilla Glass in the front and back which gives it a premium effect. However, the fingerprint scanner is placed beside the camera and can confuse people who would smudge the camera needlessly. Plus, the phone attracts fingerprint smudges. The core features of the Galaxy S8 are the same as those of the S8 Plus, as you get the IP68 rating for dust and water resistance, expandable storage capacity, and of course, Bixby!
The speakers on the S8 are louder than most phones on the market, but they’re still not stereo and hence lack a definition that would’ve been expected from this handset.
The Samsung Galaxy S8 comes with an Exynos 8895 Processor with a 10nm chip. It’s really snappy and can breeze through games without an issue. Even high-end games can run on this set without a problem. On top of that, multitasking works like a breeze on this handset. However, it does fall short of Apple iPhone 8’s A11 Bionic Chip’s processor.
The Galaxy S8 has a 19MP (f/20 aperture) 25mm rear camera. The quality is excellent, and the autofocus speed is groundbreaking – no wonder it leads the industry in this spec. The camera utilizes “multi-stacking”, a feature made famous by the Google Pixel, which helps get the best quality pictures out of the lot.
Samsung S8 comes with a 3000 mAh battery. Since the display is large, the battery consumption is also multiplied and so, it gets a lot of battery drainage. It may run for an entire day but at the end the phone will struggle a bit with the battery life.
The question that is prevalent with this review though, is whether the Galaxy S8 is worth it or would you want to spend more and go with the Galaxy S8 Plus. For a higher price, the Galaxy S8 Plus does give you a bigger screen – but the S8 fits well in one hand and allows for much more to be accomplished. If you are looking for a compact phone and a big size isn’t your priority, the Galaxy S8 should serve you perfectly.
- Bluetooth5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX
- Back Camera12 MP
- Front Camera8 MP
- Thickness0.31 inches
- Height5.86 inches
- Weight155 g
- ColorBurgundy Red
- ColorMidnight Black, Orchid Gray, Arctic Silver, Coral Blue, Maple Gold, Rose Pink, Burgundy Red
- BuildFront/back glass (Gorilla Glass 5), aluminum frame
- Width2.68 inches
- Display TypeSuper AMOLED capacitive touchscreen
- Screen Size5.8 inches
- Display TypeSuper AMOLED
- Pixel Density570 ppi
- ProtectionCorning Gorilla Glass 5
- Display Size5.75 inch to 6 inch
- Display Resolution1440 x 2960 pixels
- Screen to Body Ratio83.60%
- CPUOcta-core (4x2.3 GHz Mongoose M2 4x1.7 GHz Cortex-A53)
- Chipset GPExynos 8895 (10 nm)
- RAM4 GB RAM
- GPUMali-G71 MP20
- OSAndroid 7.0 (Nougat), upgradable to Android 9.0 (Pie) One UI
- Expandable MemorymicroSD, up to 1 TB (uses shared SIM slot) - dual SIM model only
- Storage64 GB
- RAM/Internal Storage64 GB, 4 GB RAM
- Single Camera12 MP, f/1.7, 26mm (wide), 1/2.55, 1.4 micron
- Back Camera FeaturesLED flash, auto-HDR, panorama
- AutofocusDual Pixel PDAF
- Back Camera Video2160p30fps, 1080p60fps, 720p240fps, HDR, dual-video rec.
- Front Camera Video1440p30fps
- Single Camera8 MP, f/1.7, 25mm (wide), 1/3.6, 1.22 micron, AF
- Front Camera FeaturesDual video call, Auto-HDR
- HeadPhone JackYes
- Audio Features32-bit/384kHz audioActive noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- Talk TimeUp to 20 h (3G)
- User ReplaceableNon-removable
- Battery Capacity2800 mAh to 3000 mAh
- Battery Capacity3000 mAh
- Music TimeUp to 67 h
- ChargingFast battery charging 15W (Quick Charge 2.0)Qi/PMA wireless charging (market dependent)
- Battery TypeLi-Ion
- USB3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Network SupportGSM / HSPA / LTE
- GPSYes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- SIMSingle SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- WLANWi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- SensorsIris scanner, fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, heart rate, SpO2
- Water ResistantIP68 dust/water proof (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Announced On2017, March
- StatusAvailable. Released 2017, April
Price / Buy
Get the best price for Samsung Galaxy S8
- Comparison: Apple iPhone 11 vs Samsung Galaxy S10 LiteThu, 20 Feb'20The newly arrived Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite has been taking over the budget flagships category, where it takes on the OnePlus 7T, the ROG Phone 2 and the iPhone 11. But the most interesting topic that the people are confused about is “How Does it Compare to Apple’s iPhone 11”, and that’s what we will…
- How To Transfer WhatsApp Data From Android To iOSWed, 19 Feb'20Source: Youtube One of the main reasons we have seen people switching from Android to iOS is because of the fact that iPhones from Apple are just a complete package overall. If we look at the Android side of things, it is no longer the case that Android phones, especially the flagships that used to…
- Best Android One Smartphones That You Can Buy Right NowWed, 19 Feb'20When you are out in the market for a new smartphone you expect the new smartphone should come with the least possible bloatware so that it can deliver the maximum performance. Right now this is only possible with Pixel devices from Google that offers clean stock Android version with no third-party app installed. And that’s…
- Galaxy A70e Renders Leaked!Tue, 18 Feb'20It seems Samsung is about to launch the successor to the Galaxy A70s by the name of Galaxy A70e. A few renders of the A70e have leaked and are doing the rounds on the internet. The leaks are courtesy of the famous leaker @OnLeaks. Based on information from him and the leaked renders, the phone…
- The Best Smartphones You Can Buy In India In 2020Mon, 17 Feb'20Smartphones and gadgets play an important role in one’s life in the current generations. One tends to use them for work, for casual usage, for gaming, media consumption, and whatnot. Life without a phone even for a day is like, life without food for a month. While there are a variety of phones available in…
- Samsung Galaxy S20 First ImpressionsMon, 17 Feb'20Samsung has launched a new trio of phones in the Galaxy S20 Series for the year 2020, these include the Galaxy S20, the S20 Plus and the Galaxy S20 Ultra with that hybrid 100x zooming capabilities. But that is not we will be focussing on here, while most of the people will be buying the…
- iQoo 3 AnTuTu Benchmark Scores Better Than iPhone 11?!Mon, 17 Feb'20The iQoo 3 is expected to launch in India on February 25th, the same day as its debut in China. It’ll also mark the entry of iQOO in India. The iQOO 3 is about to become India’s first Snapdragon 865 and 5G support. It’s expected to be a quick and powerful phone. This is now…
- OnePlus 8 Finally Shows Up On GeekbenchFri, 14 Feb'20A device with the codename IN2025 has gone through Geekbench and this might be the vanilla OnePlus 8. It’s powered by a Snapdragon 865 chipset (“kona”) just like the OnePlus 8 Pro, and therefore the Geekbench score of both the devices is similar. But notice the RAM – it’s 8GB while the professional model packed…
- Realme X50 Pro 5G To Have 65W(!) Fast ChargingFri, 14 Feb'20Since MWC has been canceled, Realme is holding a web launch event for the X50 Pro 5G on February 24. Earlier it was alleged to take the wraps off it in Barcelona at the conference. The phone has now been confirmed by Realme to have 65W fast charging, which uses the recently trademarked SuperDart brand.…
- Xiaomi Launches Mi 10 And Mi 10 Pro In ChinaThu, 13 Feb'20Xiaomi has finally launched the Mi 10 in China, which is a successor to the Mi 9 smartphone. The 5G device ships with the newest Android 10 OS. Read also: Redmi 8A Dual Launched in India Xiaomi Mi 10 Specifications and Features The latest Xiaomi Mi 10 features a curved 6.7-inch AMOLED display with 1,120…
Discover Phones Best For You
- 8.2spec scoreSamsung Galaxy Note 8₹52,999Add to compare
- 7.9spec scoreMotorola Moto Z2 Play₹10,499Add to compare
- 8spec scoreMotorola Moto Z3Add to compare
- 8.4spec scoreSamsung Galaxy S10₹22,416Add to compare
- 8.2spec scoreSamsung Galaxy S8 Plus₹38,999Add to compare
- 8.2spec scoreSamsung Galaxy S9 Plus₹27,999Add to compare
- 8spec scoreSamsung Galaxy S9₹22,999Add to compare
- 8spec scoreMotorola Moto Z3 PlayAdd to compare
- 8spec scoreSamsung Galaxy Note 7Add to compare
- 8.3spec scoreSamsung Galaxy Note 9₹22,571Add to compare
- 7.6spec scoreXiaomi Poco X2₹15,999Add to compare
- 7.9spec scoreOPPO F15₹19,990Add to compare
- 7.9spec scoreSamsung Galaxy A71Add to compare
- 7.6spec scoreNokia 6.2₹13,349Add to compare
- 7.4spec scoreMotorola Razr 2019Add to compare
- 7.3spec scoreRealme 5i₹8,999Add to compare
- 7.6spec scoreXiaomi Redmi K30Add to compare
- 7.8spec scoreLG G8X ThinQAdd to compare
- 7.7spec scoreVivo V17₹22,990Add to compare
- 8spec scoreVivo Z1 Pro₹12,990Add to compare