Considering how fast the mobile gaming market is changing, it’s no surprise that PlayStation controllers are being used for smartphone gameplay. Although multiple mobile controllers let you play your favourite games, none can quite match the quality of a PlayStation controller. Apple had introduced wireless controller support with the iOS 14.5 update. For Android, support varies slightly but works in most cases. So, whether you’re playing high-end games through the cloud or the latest mobile games, we’re here to help. This article will show you how to connect PS5 and PS4 controller to Android and iOS devices.
Since the PS5 controller, the DualSense, is the latest addition, we’re going to tackle this first. Either way, the process is relatively easy and won’t take you too long. Let’s get started!
To connect your DualSense controller with your iPhone, ensure that your iPhone has the latest updates installed. More importantly, the update should be iOS 14.5 or newer. Once that’s verified, here’s what you need to do:
- Go to your phone’s Settings app.
- Navigate to the Bluetooth section. Here, you’ll find two different lists. The first is “My Devices”. These are devices that are already paired with your phone. The second will be “Other devices”, a list of devices that can be paired.
- Ensure that your Bluetooth is switched on.
- Take your DualSense controller and press the “PS” button and “Share” button simultaneously. Ensure that you’ve pressed and held them for at least three seconds.
- Your controller’s light bar should start flashing with a blue light.
- Once you see the light bar flashing, check your phone. Under the “Other Devices”, your DualSense controller should be listed.
- Select the DualSense controller under “Other Devices” and wait for it to pair with your phone.
- Once the pairing is done, you can use the controller on your iPhone.
There’s not much of a difference with the pairing technique for Android. However, once again, you need to ensure that your phone has the latest updates installed. If your smartphone is updated, we can proceed to the steps:
- Swipe down on the phone screen to bring up the Notification tray. Tap on the Bluetooth icon to switch it on, if it wasn’t already.
- Now, tap and hold the Bluetooth icon to bring up the Bluetooth settings.
- You should now be at the screen to pair new devices to the smartphone.
- Check your DualSense controller and press the “PS” and “Share” buttons together until the light bar starts flashing blue.
- If you see the blue light flashing on the controller, you can check your phone’s Bluetooth settings page.
- The DualSense controller should be listed under “Available devices”. Tap on it and confirm the pairing through the “Pair” option.
DualShock 4/PS4 controller
Now that we’ve seen the method for connecting the DualSense controller to both iPhone and Android, we can check the method for the DualShock 4. The methods are essentially the same for both controllers.
Thankfully for PS4 controller owners, the iOS support for this controller is much more flexible. Let’s check the steps.
- Go to your iPhone’s Settings app and navigate to the Bluetooth section.
- Switch on your phone’s Bluetooth.
- Keep the Bluetooth menu open and check your PS4 controller.
- With the controller in your hand, press both the “PS” and “Share” buttons together for a while. Keep it pressed until the controller’s lighting at the back starts flashing.
- You should check your phone now and see if the “DUALSHOCK 4 Wireless Controller” option pops up under “Other devices”. If yes, tap on it and let it connect to the controller.
- If the controller has been paired successfully, the lighting at the back of the DualShock 4 will turn reddish-pink.
To pair your DualShock 4 controller with your Android smartphone, here’s what you should do:
- Switch on your smartphone’s Bluetooth and keep the Bluetooth settings open on the screen.
- Take your DualShock 4 controller and press the “PS” and “Share” buttons together for a little while. Do this until the controller’s lights start flashing.
- Ensure that your smartphone is scanning for Bluetooth devices to connect with, and it should show “Wireless Controller” as an option under “Available devices”. If it does, select the “Wireless Controller” option on your phone.
- A pop-up should appear asking for the pairing confirmation. Select “Pair” to connect the controller to the smartphone.
- If the connection is successful, the controller’s lights should be a solid blue.
Also read: How to Play BGMI with a Controller?
The processes to connect PS5 and PS4 controller to Android and iOS devices are quite similar. In fact, they’re relatively easy too. A successful pairing makes it much easier for you to play your favourite games without the limitation of the touchscreen. However, not all mobile games will work with a controller. Make sure you find out if the game you want to play features controller support. If it does, use any of these methods, and you’ll be able to play games the way you want to!