UPI 123Pay: How To Make UPI Payment Via A Feature Phone?
Out of 118 crore mobile phone users, 74 crores are smartphone users. That means a whopping number of Indians still use feature phones. But the question is- can they make UPI payments through it? Know here.
Table Of Contents
- 1How would UPI Payment for feature phones work?
- 2How to make digital payments through UPI 123Pay using the IVR service?
- 3Why is there a need for UPI payments for feature phones?
Highlights of the Story
- You don’t need smartphones anymore to make UPI payments.
- UPI123Pay is the new payment system for feature phones through which users can make transactions, pay utility bills and more.
What is the first thought that comes to your mind when you hear the word UPI payment? A smartphone and a stable internet connection, right? Well, not anymore. It was on Tuesday that the Reserve Bank Of India (RBI) launched a new digital payment method- UPI for feature phones, i.e., UPI 123Pay.
At present, UPI payment is limited just to smartphone users. However, with the introduction of UPI payment for feature phones, people not having smartphones can also be included in the mainstream digital payment.
“The goal behind UPI payment for feature phones is to promote financial inclusion in our country”, said RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das.
RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das further added to deepen the digital payment methods, it is proposed to
- Launch UPI payments for feature phones
- Simplify the process for small value transactions through an “on-device” wallet in UPI applications
- Enhance the transaction limit for UPI payments from Rs. 2,00,000 to Rs. 5,00,000.
How would UPI Payment for feature phones work?
UPI123Pay is a step towards the future of digital payments. It would help users make transactions without the internet and through their feature phones. However, the scan and pay option won’t be available in the UPI payment for feature phones, but the rest of the options would be the same.
With UPI123Pay, users can make payments, recharge FASTags, pay utility bills and check their account balance linked with UPI. And not just that, the new feature also allows you to set or change your UPI pins. A 24×7 helpline has also been established by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to help the users with any kind of support they need for 123Pay. Users can simply visit “www.digisaathi.info” or dial 14431 or 18008913333 and clear their doubts or queries regarding digital payments.
Users simply need to link their bank accounts with the feature phone to start using the UPI123Pay. The various payment options include person-to-person person-to-merchant. Initially, users can expect Hindi and English language in UPI123Pay.
The UPI123Pay would allow users to make transactions in four different ways-
- Through missed call
- Via app functionality in feature phones
- Calling an interactive voice response (IVR)
- And through proximity sound-based payments.
Also Read: How To Sell Old Oppo A53? Reasons To Sell
How to make digital payments through UPI 123Pay using the IVR service?
Interactive voice response (IVR) is the easiest way to make payments through UPI123Pay.
- Just dial “08045163666” from your phone.
- Choose your preferred language.
- Press the “1” key on your phone to transfer money.
- Select the bank by saying the bank’s name in which your account is linked.
- Press 1 to confirm the details.
- Press 1 to send money using your mobile number.
- Now, enter the mobile number.
- Next, confirm the details.
- Finally, enter the amount that you want to transfer.
- And lastly, enter your UPI Pin to authorize the money transfer.
Why is there a need for UPI payments for feature phones?
In recent years, UPI payments witnessed a dramatic growth in their usage. It is the most commonly used payment method in India, thus making it the single most extensive retail payment system in the country.
UPI payment for feature phones has come on the floor after rigorous successful pilot tests. The idea is simple, to make transactions simple for small and mid-scale consumers and vendors who are deprived of smartphone usage.
RBI Governor T Rabi Sankar said, “We have been growing impressively in digital payments, yet a large part of digitization is limited just to the smartphone users. Feature phone users are above 40 crores, the aim is to bring them under the gambit of UPI payment method.”
Also Read: Where To Sell Old Oppo A9 2020?
- The Nothing Phone 1 Vs OnePlus 9RT can both be compared here. You may contrast the statistics and distinctive features of Nothing Phone 1 with the OnePlus 9RT 5G. This article might clarify how the OnePlus 9RT 5G and Nothing Phone 1 compare and which one you should pick. However, the price difference between the OnePlus…
- This article will compare the Nothing Phone 1 Vs OnePlus 9 RT dedicated speed test. Both of these phones come within the same price range. However, the processors in both phones are different. Nothing Phone 1 is powered by the upper mid-range Snapdragon Qualcomm 778G+ chipset, whereas the OnePlus 9 RT comes with the Snapdragon…
- We’ll compare the speeds of the Nothing Phone 1 Vs Samsung S20 FE smartphones. Both phones are in the same range in terms of pricing. Additionally, the Nothing Phone 1 debuted recently, and the Samsung S20 FE was introduced two years ago. Furthermore, we’ll discuss the speed test between these two smartphones in this post,…
- The Oppo Reno 8 Pro is an amazing phone right now in the market by Oppo that grabs the attention of many customers in India with its flagship-grade cameras. The device comes with outstanding features, including its classy and premium look. Furthermore, it is made with a high-quality chassis and a reliable MediaTek chipset. However, would that…
- The big question for most of us is to know about the best OxygenOS 12 features on the OnePlus 9RT. Well, it’s here! As per reports, OxygenOS 12 is available for OnePlus 9RT users to download based on Android 12. With this update, users can access several apps quickly. Users will get several features from ColorOS…