Jio Android Phone Could Cost Under Rs 5,000
Jio is working on launching affordable smartphones in the country.
Highlights of the Story
- This phone will run on Google’s custom OS, according to the company.
- Jio Platforms and Google have a commercial agreement to jointly develop an entry-level affordable smartphone.
- These phones will be under sub-Rs.5,000 price category.
Jio announced that it partnered with Google to introduce an Android-based operating system for affordable smartphones soon. However, a report by Bloomberg, these smartphones will be priced around Rs.4,000.
The report claims that the company asked local suppliers to increase their production capacity. Their aim is to make approximately 200 million units in the span of the next two years. In addition to these claims, people knowing this matter say it will be low-cost and will come with Jio branding.
Google will build an Android operating system (OS) to power a low-cost “4G or even 5G” smartphone that Reliance would design, according to Mukesh Ambani. In July, Reliance announced that Google would invest $4.5 billion in the Jio Platform.
What this phone is aiming to offer?
To remember, Jio also partnered with Google to introduce an Android-based operating system for affordable smartphones. This will be a step to give a push to their mission of converting 2G users into 3G, 4G users. This phone bundled with data packs from Jio can launch in December 2020 or early next year, according to reports.
“We believe we can design an entry-level 4G or even a 5G smartphone for a fraction of its current cost. But to power such a value-engineered smartphone we also need an equally value-engineered smartphone operating system. Google and Jio are partnering to build an Android-based smartphone operating system,” said Ambani at the AGM.
Also Read: Top 10 Racing Games For Android And iOS!
Subsequently, it also says it is a commercial agreement to jointly develop an entry-level affordable smartphone. It will offer an optimized Android operating system and the Play Store.
It is a step to give a push to their mission of converting 2G users into 3G, 4G users. However, as of now, the budget phone segment is ruled by Chinese companies. They currently dominates a $2 billion (roughly Rs. 14,713 crores) market for sub-$100 (roughly Rs. 7,360) smartphones in India.
This phone will give direct competition to brands like Xiaomi, OPPO, Vivo. This budget phone segment is ruled by Chinese companies. However, it looks like Jio is ready to push them into a corner.
Also read: Repair Offers
- The OnePlus 9R was launched in April as a reasonable and appealing option for smartphone users who did not want to spend more than Rs 40,000. Then the 2021 launches rolled down, and the OnePlus 9R was no longer as competitive as it had been– it had simply become the most affordable way to get…
- The IPL 2021 resumption matches have been scheduled to kick off from September 19, 2021. When it comes to the location, the matches will be held in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Now, as the IPL 2021 schedule and stadium information are out of the way, let us talk a bit about the matches. The…
- In this article, we will be talking about a very popular Apple phone which is the iPhone 11. There is a huge confusion revolving around whether one should buy this iPhone in 2021 or not? Hence, we will be talking about 5 reasons that make buying the iPhone 11 worth it even in 2021. Also…
- Should you buy iPhone 12 in 2021? Or wait for iPhone 13?
- Lately, Tecno has been slaying the competition in the sub-Rs10,000 price bracket. Last we made a video of Tecno Spark 7, which was launched at Rs 8,999. Today, the brand has sent us their Tecno Camon 17, which is launched in India at Rs 12,999. Processor Gone are the days when we used to complain…