Jio Android Phone Could Cost Under Rs 5,000
Jio is working on launching affordable smartphones in the country.
Highlights of the Story
- This phone will run on Google’s custom OS, according to the company.
- Jio Platforms and Google have a commercial agreement to jointly develop an entry-level affordable smartphone.
- These phones will be under sub-Rs.5,000 price category.
Jio announced that it partnered with Google to introduce an Android-based operating system for affordable smartphones soon. However, a report by Bloomberg, these smartphones will be priced around Rs.4,000.
The report claims that the company asked local suppliers to increase their production capacity. Their aim is to make approximately 200 million units in the span of the next two years. In addition to these claims, people knowing this matter say it will be low-cost and will come with Jio branding.
Google will build an Android operating system (OS) to power a low-cost “4G or even 5G” smartphone that Reliance would design, according to Mukesh Ambani. In July, Reliance announced that Google would invest $4.5 billion in the Jio Platform.
What this phone is aiming to offer?
To remember, Jio also partnered with Google to introduce an Android-based operating system for affordable smartphones. This will be a step to give a push to their mission of converting 2G users into 3G, 4G users. This phone bundled with data packs from Jio can launch in December 2020 or early next year, according to reports.
“We believe we can design an entry-level 4G or even a 5G smartphone for a fraction of its current cost. But to power such a value-engineered smartphone we also need an equally value-engineered smartphone operating system. Google and Jio are partnering to build an Android-based smartphone operating system,” said Ambani at the AGM.
Also Read: Top 10 Racing Games For Android And iOS!
Subsequently, it also says it is a commercial agreement to jointly develop an entry-level affordable smartphone. It will offer an optimized Android operating system and the Play Store.
It is a step to give a push to their mission of converting 2G users into 3G, 4G users. However, as of now, the budget phone segment is ruled by Chinese companies. They currently dominates a $2 billion (roughly Rs. 14,713 crores) market for sub-$100 (roughly Rs. 7,360) smartphones in India.
This phone will give direct competition to brands like Xiaomi, OPPO, Vivo. This budget phone segment is ruled by Chinese companies. However, it looks like Jio is ready to push them into a corner.
Also read: Repair Offers
- Here is the third video of our ongoing series of best smartphone deals 2020. With Amazon and Flipkart’s biggest annual sale underway, we bringing you a series of YouTube videos so you know exactly how to claim these offers and don’t miss out on the absolute best ones. In the video below, we’ll tell you…
- In this continuation of our series of the best Flipkart smartphone deals 2020, we have brought you another video explaining just how you can buy the iPhone XR for under 20,000. Flipkart has been surprising everyone this year with its massive discounts on smartphones, and with Cashify you’ll find out about all the latest and…
- As we all already know by now, Flipkart’s Big Billion Days and Amazon’s Great Indian Festival are upon us. And we all know what that means. Discounts raining everywhere! However, it can get quite confusing among so many offers that exactly what is the best smartphone deal. In order to help you solve that problem,…
- Vivo V20 is a mid-range smartphone, which is an impeccable deal from the brand and starts in India at a price of Rs.24,990.
- Your smartphone is always prone to security risk by hackers. Read and watch this to know how you can keep yourself safe.
Latest ReviewsView All
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is a top-of-the-line flagship device and a great companion for anything and everything you can think of.
- Xiaomi Redmi 9 Prime does make a strong contender since it has a few specs of the Note 9 series as well while arriving at a most affordable price tag.
- Samsung Galaxy M31s is a new addition to the Monster M-series by Samsung with large battery life and great overall performance.
- The Redmi Note 9 Pro/Pro Max is a premium-looking phone with a good camera and battery.