From 1 February 2020, WhatsApp will pack up on a variety of Android and iOS smartphones. The FAQ section of the WhatsApp states that several smartphones won’t be able to run the app as support is withdrawn for older versions of OS.
According to the WhatsApp FAQ section, Android phones running on Android 2.3.7 OS and lower in addition to iPhones running iOS 8 and lower won’t be compatible in the future.
However, WhatsApp will continue functioning on select phones that run on KaiOS 2.5.1+ OS, including JioPhone and JioPhone 2.
WhatsApp has mentioned that these older versions of Android and iOS “cannot create new accounts, nor re-verify existing accounts after 1 February 2020.”
If you’re still using these lower version OS on your phones and don’t want to lose all of your chats after 1 February, 2020, there’s a way to save your chats:
- Open the chat you would like to save, and tap on “options”.
- Tap’ Export Chat’. You’ll then have the choice to download the chat with or without media.
- You can also backup all your chats on Google Drive by going to options>chats>backup.
If you’re looking to buy a new phone, make sure you know this: Things To Know Before Buying A New Smartphone
WhatsApp also highlighted that ending support for these Android phones and iPhones won’t affect many users.
WhatsApp has listed the operating systems that the app supports and recommends users to use updated devices:
- Android running OS 4.0.3+
- iPhone running iOS 9+
- Phones running KaiOS 2.5.1+, like JioPhone and JioPhone 2
WhatsApp withdrew support for Windows Phone operating systems on 31 December, 2019. It said that the app is “no longer actively developed for these operating systems.”
Stay up to date with the latest smartphone news with Cashify.
Image source: empresa-journal.com
- iQOO smartphones are doing well in the market because they have an understanding of the desires of an Indian consumer, a good smartphone at a reasonable price. Read this article if you are confused about which phone to buy between iQOO Neo 6 and iQOO 7. Also read: New OnePlus Phone Tipped To Launch With…
- If you frequently travel on Delhi Metro, you must have noticed that the internet does not work well during peak hours and when the metro goes through underground tunnels. We tested both Jio and Airtel while travelling from Noida to Gurugram. Although this is not a scientific experiment, we tried to be as fair as…
- iQOO Neo 6, with its price range similar to iQOO 7 and OnePlus Nord 2, directly competes with them. Both of them were the best mid-range smartphones of the previous year. Let’s find out the similarities, differences and which phone among these three at the price of Rs. 30,000 will suit you the most. Also…
- Xiaomi 12 Pro comes with high-end specifications, but while paying Rs. 70,000 a user thinks they should buy an iPhone rather than a Xiaomi phone. They are buying an Apple iPhone 13 or a feature-packed Xiaomi mi 12 Pro in this price range; what would be a better option? Let’s find out! Also read: iPhone…
- iPhone 13 is a charming device with excellent specs, but what if you can get the same hardware in a compact size; enter Apple iPhone 13 Mini. This pocket size performance packed mobile phone is a charmer when it comes to features, looks and usability. So, if you’re confused about whether you should buy the…