Apple To Reduce App Store Commission For Certain Developers
Apple will reduce App Store cut to 15 percent for most developers starting January 1st.
Highlights of the Story
- Apple said it will cut App Store fees by half for most developers.
- Any developer that earns less than $1 million in revenue per year is eligible.
- This is called as the new App Store Small Business Program.
Apple announces a reduction in its App Store commission rate for smaller businesses. It is an industry-leading new developer program to accelerate innovation. Additionally, it is to help small businesses and independent developers propel their businesses forward.
Under the new guidelines of the “App Store Small Business Program,” developers earning up to $1 million per year will only have to pay a 15% commission. Moreover, it is half of Apple’s standard 30 percent fee, on all paid app revenue and in-app purchases.
What will the App Store Small Business Program entail?
The App Store, which generated an estimated $50 billion in revenue in 2019, according to CNBC. It is one of Apple’s most pivotal businesses beyond the iPhone.
The company says the “vast majority” of iOS app developers will be able to access the program. However, they have not mentioned any numbers clearly. On the other hand, Apple has not specified how much of its App Store revenue would be affected.
Apple says it will benefit the vast majority of developers who sell digital goods and services on the store. In addition, this program will provide them with a reduced commission on paid apps and in-app purchases. The new program for the app store will launch on Jan. 1, 2021, and will be based on the business’s revenues in 2020. Subsequently, it will be based on how many existing developers made across all their applications on a post-commission basis. It means the businesses could actually earn up to $1.3 million in gross revenues. The reduced fee will also apply to new developers launching their apps for the first time.
If the developer’s apps surpass the $1 million thresholds, they will be moved to the standard commission rate. In the end, the App store commission will be 30%, for the remainder of the year. On the other hand, if it is the opposite, they can re-qualify for the program and its reduced commission rate.
Also Read: Mi 11 Camera Specifications Leaked
“We’re launching this program to help small business owners write the next chapter of creativity and prosperity on the App Store, and to build the kind of quality apps our customers love.”Apple’s CEO Tim Cook said in a statement
Apple today has 1.8 million apps on its App Store, which reaches over 1.5 billion Apple devices across 175 countries worldwide. Right now, Apple’s demands for a 30% cut — which the company recently argued is comparable to other marketplaces of this nature
Also read: Best mobile phones under 10000
- I recall my first hands-on experience with a Tecno smartphone was in 2018. From then till now, Tecno has significantly grown in India. I have had friends coming up to me talking about their Tecno smartphones. Today, we have one such promising smartphone from the brand, it’s their all-new Tecno Spark 7. For those who…
- Is Google Pixel 4A a good pick in 2021? Should you invest in it right now? Read to know more.
- IPL Live Streaming Free Online: Best Free Ways to Watch IPL 2021 Cricket Matches on Your Mobile PhoneBest Free Ways to Watch IPL 2021 Cricket Matches for Free
- Read this to know the top five reasons to buy the all-new Vivo X60 Pro Plus.
- How To Save Your Smartphone From Water Damage During Holi