How Cashify Complies With E-Waste Management Rules
Garbage made up of discarded electronic products like computers and cell phones is known as e-waste. India is fifth in the world in the production of waste, which is more than 2,000,000 tonnes annually. This is according to the UN’s global e-waste monitor 2014.
In order to control this menace, in 2017, India’s central government brought out the e-waste management rules. These rules required that any electronics producer should re-collect their old devices once they have reached the end of their life.
In India recycling of e-waste is left almost entirely to the informal sector which is ill-equipped to handle the increasingly complex smartphones.
This is where Cashify comes in, as we have set up a safe and effective way of old phones refurbishment and disposal to ensure that it does not end up haphazardly in the natural environment.
Initiatives have been taken to support the dismantlers and recyclers with modern technologies to handle the e-wastes in an environmentally friendly manner.
The e-waste management rules specifically state an Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) programme, which makes electronics producers liable for collection of their e-waste. They can partner with Producer Responsibility Organisations (PRO) for this collection and proper disposal.
State governments and Urban Local Bodies (municipalities) have been asked to assist in the collection of e-waste. Producers have been asked to collect 10% of the e-waste generated by their brand starting from 2017, which will increase by 10% every year. By 2023, producers are expected to recollect 70% of the waste generated.
How Cashify Is Playing Its Part
Cashify (Manak Waste Management Private Limited) has joined a Producer Responsibility Organisation (PRO) Karo Sambhav Private Limited. This is to ensure that our Extended Producer Responsibility compliances are met. We want to ensure that all our products, once they have reached the end of their life, are collected, stored, and disposed of in an environmentally safe manner. We try to make sure that all our collected devices can either be refurbished or recycled before turning to disposal as a last resort. This helps extract the maximum value out of your used device.
Responsible recycling also ensures that all valuable components are extracted from the device, in turn reducing our reliance on fresh extraction from the planet. Cashify, along with its PRO, is consistently working alongside bulk consumers and RWAs to work alongside the government in curbing India’s e-waste menace and therefore helping move us all towards a sustainable, greener future.
(Cover image source: The Mobile Association)
- Here is the third video of our ongoing series of best smartphone deals 2020. With Amazon and Flipkart’s biggest annual sale underway, we bringing you a series of YouTube videos so you know exactly how to claim these offers and don’t miss out on the absolute best ones. In the video below, we’ll tell you…
- In this continuation of our series of the best Flipkart smartphone deals 2020, we have brought you another video explaining just how you can buy the iPhone XR for under 20,000. Flipkart has been surprising everyone this year with its massive discounts on smartphones, and with Cashify you’ll find out about all the latest and…
- As we all already know by now, Flipkart’s Big Billion Days and Amazon’s Great Indian Festival are upon us. And we all know what that means. Discounts raining everywhere! However, it can get quite confusing among so many offers that exactly what is the best smartphone deal. In order to help you solve that problem,…
- Vivo V20 is a mid-range smartphone, which is an impeccable deal from the brand and starts in India at a price of Rs.24,990.
- Your smartphone is always prone to security risk by hackers. Read and watch this to know how you can keep yourself safe.
Latest ReviewsView All
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is a top-of-the-line flagship device and a great companion for anything and everything you can think of.
- Xiaomi Redmi 9 Prime does make a strong contender since it has a few specs of the Note 9 series as well while arriving at a most affordable price tag.
- Samsung Galaxy M31s is a new addition to the Monster M-series by Samsung with large battery life and great overall performance.
- The Redmi Note 9 Pro/Pro Max is a premium-looking phone with a good camera and battery.