Everything is achieved at a cost as WhatsApp has now become the country’s most widely used app for chatting but, it also has to fight the battle against fake news circulating and harassing messages sent almost every day.
Its simplistic design and ease in sending messages have made it easy to spread fake messages among the public on WhatsApp. Whatsapp has decided to put an end to this, with the Department of Telecom(DoT) by helping people report these fake or abusive messages. This is because WhatsApp has been in trouble for the last few years for serving as a channel that spread fake news which triggered several incidents of mob lynchings.
How to Report Individual WhatsApp Messages
Once you submit a report, WhatsApp’s moderators review it and depending on the message, may even ban the user if the messages violate the company’s Terms of Service.
Also, reporting a spam message or contact doesn’t undermine WhatsApp’s end-to-end encryption (E2EE) practice. Reporting only submits a copy of the last five messages of the contact you report. It does not share the entire chat history or break end-to-end encryption in any way.
Follow these simple steps to report any message:
- Open your WhatsApp application and then the conversation which you wish to report. The conversation can contain any potentially harmful message or any spam messages.
- Now, long press on the message that you wish to report to select it. Select the three dots present on the top right corner to present the menu or settings.
- A ‘Report’ option will be present in that menu now. Select that option to report the message.
- A ‘Pop-up’ may appear to warn you that a copy of that message will be sent to the Whatsapp headquarters. But, you can stay calm, the contact who had sent the message, will not receive any notification of the action.
- You can also follow this action by blocking the contact to put a stop to any future conversations with them.
However, you must remember that you can report only a single message. The report option will not appear when you select more than one message. Whatsapp is working on improving this feature to allow users to report more than one message, however, it may take time. A way to work around this can be to report the contact. This will allow you to report the last 5 messages sent by the contact to you, at once.
We hope that this information helped you and now, you will not have to accept any unsolicited messages as you can easily report them and punish the person. For more such important updates and information follow us and read more blogs.
Completed my B Tech in last year and now doing Content Writing work and also working on my own blogging website.