Android 12 Developer Preview 1 Released
Google released the first developer preview of Android 12. It is the next version that will debut later this year as a successor to Android 11. However, it comes over five months after the arrival of the public release of Android 11. Just like the previous developer previews, this Developer Preview 1 release is aiming at developers. It is for making their apps ready for the next big Android update.
Android 12 is initially available for download on Google Pixel phones. However, developers can also look at its new features and changes over Android 11 through the Android Emulator available in Android Studio.
Android 12 Developer Preview Compatibility
In a blog post by Google, the Android12 Developer Preview 1 can be installed on Google Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, Pixel 4XL, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4a 5G, and Pixel 5. Moreover, the system images for all these models are provided for download. Alternatively, one can install it on a system through the Android Emulator in Android Studio.
In addition, developers working on Android TV apps can also get the first Android 12 developer preview via the ADT-3 device. Before proceeding to manually download any of the system images, it is important to note that the Developer Preview 1 is meant specifically for developers and not intended for end consumers.
- Android 12 Developer Preview 1: February
- Developer Preview 2: March
- Preview 3: April
- Beta 1: May
- \Beta 2, 3: June-July
- Beta 4: August
Google also shared the Android 12 release timeline to detail the milestones reaching the new update. One can check the timeline above.
In addition to the aforementioned timeline, Google has said that it will reach the ‘Platform Stability’ stage through the Beta 4 stage in August. This means there will not be further changes for developers after that point.
Android 12 New Features
- It brings interface-level changes to notifications. Google also mentions in its blog post that it was also working on optimizing transitions and animations across the system to make them smoother. Apps targeting this OS will also be able to include notifications with custom content views that will be based on a standard template.
- In addition to custom notifications-focussed updates, Android 12 is in development to bring more responsive notifications. One will notice the changes in the first developer preview that will likely further be polished in later updates.
- It also brings compatible media transcoding to support the HEVC format for video capture. Google has also provided platform support for AV1 Image File Format (AVIF) using AV1. This claims to dramatically improve the image for the same file size when compared to older image formats, such as JPEG.
- Apps designed for Android 12 will also be able to offer audio-coupled haptic feedback through the phone’s vibrator. This means that one will get more immersive audio experiences on the next-gen Android update.
- Furthermore, Google simplified immersive mode to smoothen gesture navigation and make it more consistent. It also comes with an Android Runtime (ART) module to let Google push new software updates to the core runtime and libraries available on devices. This will enable a more consistent experience for installed apps.
- Android 12 will also be about optimizations for tablets, foldable, and TVs. Some of those optimizations can be noticed from the first preview.
The first developer preview of Android 12 also includes modern SameSite cookie behaviors in WebView, Restricted Netlink MC, and safer exporting of components to prevent apps from inadvertently exporting activities, services, and receivers. There will also be other under-the-hood privacy and security changes that Google has detailed on a dedicated webpage.
- Is Google Pixel 4A a good pick in 2021? Should you invest in it right now? Read to know more.
- IPL Live Streaming Free Online: Best Free Ways to Watch IPL 2021 Cricket Matches on Your Mobile PhoneBest Free Ways to Watch IPL 2021 Cricket Matches for Free
- Read this to know the top five reasons to buy the all-new Vivo X60 Pro Plus.
- How To Save Your Smartphone From Water Damage During Holi
- Recently OPPO launched its latest smartphone, OPPO F19 Pro+ 5G. Speaking of the name first, Oppo could have used some other short and crisp name and yes there is 5G also. Here is a quick review of the all-new OPPO F19 Pro+ 5G in just 2 minutes. Design As for the design, there has been…