Top New Smartphone Roundup: May 2020
We see new smartphone launches in the market every month; However, the month of May was different than the others. May saw the relaxation of the lockdown and restrictions in some sectors and enabled smartphone manufacturers to launch some of their pending smartphones as we saw the relaxation of the lockdown to an extent in most Green and Orange zones across the country. This relaxation came as a huge benefit to smartphone manufacturers who have been putting off their new launches and sales through offline and online channels. The month of May saw a few significant launches in the smartphone market and here is the best of them.
Highlights of the Story
- The smartphones market is ever-evolving, and we see new smartphone launches almost every month with improvements and upgrade over the predecessors
- The month of April was rather silent for most smartphone manufactures due to the lockdown restrictions and the relaxations led to several new launches in May
- The new relaxations in Lockdown allow online and offline retailers to resume their businesses and start selling the latest smartphones
Not very long ago the whole world was forced into a rather unfortunate lockdown and everything including sales of smartphones came to a grounding halt. This meant that most manufacturers even refrained from launching their new devices for a month or more. Luckily, this situation wasn’t forever, and the government brought in some relaxations starting in the month of May allowing smartphone manufacturers to begin the sale of their smartphones in the online and even offline channels.
A lot of manufacturers took this as an opportunity to launch their pending smartphones that were already delayed. This led to a busy month of May as most manufacturers who were waiting for the right time to launch the new smartphones finally had an opportunity. We saw new launches from Motorola, Infinix, Realme, Xiaomi, and even Apple this month. Here are the top smartphones launched in May’20.
The brand-new Mi 10 is powered by the flagship chipset Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 based on the 7nm manufacturing process and has Adreno 650 GPU. The smartphone also comes with 8GB LPDDR5 RAM and either 128GB or 256GB of internal storage. One of the key highlights of the smartphone is not just the massive 4,780mAh battery or the 30W charging support but the ability to Wirelessly charge at 30W and Wireless reverse charging up to 10W.
The Mi 10 comes with a massive 6.67-inch display that uses a Curved AMOLED panel with a FullHD+ resolution and 19.5:9 aspect ratio. The smartphone also boasts a 108MP sensor with a 1/1.33-inch large sensor having an f/1.7 aperture. There is also a secondary 13MP ultra-wide sensor paired with a dedicated 2MP f/2.4 depth sensor and macro lens. The smartphone not only supports recording at FullHD or 4K at 60FPS but also supports 8K recording at 30FPS enabled by the extremely capable sensor and chipset. The 20MP front sensor has an f/2.3 aperture and supports FullHD recording at 30FPS.
Price: Rs 49,999
Apple launched the new iPhone SE based on the iPhone 8 chassis. The new iPhone SE packs the most powerful chipset from Apple into what they claim is their most popular size for an affordable price of just $400 in the united states market, the Indian pricing is a little higher overall but a lot lower by Apple standards. The smartphone is built very well and uses a durable glass and aluminum design to give a premium feel in the hand.
The display on the smartphone is a 4.7-inch Retina HD display and comes with massive bezels, forehead, and chin similar to the iPhone 8 and predecessors, this also means that Apple was able to bring back the much-loved Touch ID which many users feared might have gone extinct. iPhone SE is powered by the Apple A13 chipset which is the same chipset powering their current flagships. The smartphones come with a single camera setup but support some of the advanced techs from the portrait mode including Depth control, Portrait lighting, and more. The iPhone also supports recording in 1080p and 4K resolutions with great amounts of detail in highlights and shadows.
Price: Rs 42,500
Realme Narzo 10
The Realme Narzo 10 is powered by the MediaTek Helio G80 chipset and Mali G52 chipset. The RAM on the device is a 4GB LPDDR4x module and uses a 128GB internal storage solution. The display on the smartphone is decently big at 6.5-inches HD+ panel with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection and a small waterdrop notch for the camera. The battery on the smartphone is of 5,000mAh capacity and supports 18W Quick Charge through the Type-C port in the smartphone.
The primary camera on the Realme Narzo 10 is of 48MP resolution and supports f/1.8 aperture, there is also an 8MP sensor for ultra-wide shots and has an f/2.3 aperture. The black and white sensor has an f/2.4 aperture and there is a final 2MP Macro Lens with f/2.4 aperture. The smartphone supports recording in FullHD and HD resolution at 30 FPS. The selfie shooter on the smartphone is powered by a 16MP sensor with an f/2.0 aperture and captures decent pictures overall.
Price Rs 11,999
Honor 9X Pro
The Honor 9X Pro is perhaps one of the cheapest smartphones to come with a 7nm chipset, the smartphone uses Kirin 810 chipset. The RAM on the device is 6GB and it comes in up to 256GB internal storage. The smartphone uses a triple camera setup with a primary 48MP sensor having an f/1.8 aperture, the Super wide-angle lens is an 8MP sensor with an f/2.4 aperture. There is also a 2MP depth assist sensor with f/2.4 aperture for better portraits.
The smartphone comes with a wide and large sensor allowing for better photography. The video mode also comes with new AI video stabilization and allows you to take video clips on the move even in low lighting conditions without additional stabilization gear. The front camera is housed in a pop-up mechanism to maximize the screen real estate, it is a 16MP sensor and supports FullHD recording. The display on the smartphone is a 6.59-inch panel with FullHD resolution and takes up most of the front area on the smartphone.
Price: Rs 14,999
The Vivo V19 is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 712 processor and comes with 8GB of RAM. The internal storage on the smartphone is either 128GB or 256GB based on the variant. The smartphone comes with a massive 4,500mAh battery and supports 33W fast charging. The front display is a 6.44-inch panel with FullHD+ resolution based on AMOLED technology. The fingerprint sensor is tucked under the display for maximizing the screen area.
The front camera is a dual-camera setup with a primary 32MP sensor having an f/2.08 aperture and an 8MP secondary sensor with an f/2.28 aperture. The rear camera uses a primary 48MP sensor with an f/1.8 aperture paired with an 8MP ultra-wide-angle lens having an f/2.2 aperture. There is also a 2MP depth sensor and a 2MP macro lens both of which have an f/2.4 aperture.
Price: Rs 27,990
Also Read: Vivo V19 Review
Infinix Hot 9
The Infinix Hot 9 is a new smartphone from the brand and targets the budget segment. The smartphone is powered by the MediaTek Helio P22 chipset and has 4GB of RAM. The internal storage on the device is 64GB which can be expanded to up to 256GB via a microSD card slot. The device uses a 6.6-inch HD+ panel with medium size bezels.
The smartphone is powered by a 5,000mAh battery based on Li-Po technology and uses AI Smart power-saving features for the best output. The rear camera is powered by a 13MP primary lens which is paired with a 2MP depth sensor, 2MP macro lens, and a dedicated low light sensor with a triple LED flash. The front camera is a more subtle 8MP sensor with a dedicated flash allowing you to capture images in low light situations.
Price: Rs 8,499
Moto G8 Power Lite
The Moto G8 Power Lite is an addition to the existing Moto G8 series and is powered by the MediaTek Helio P35 chipset. The smartphone comes with 4GB of RAM, 64GB of internal storage which can be expanded to up to 256GB using a micro SD card slot. The 6.5-inch display on the smartphone has an HD+ resolution and offers a decent resolution. The rear camera is a triple camera setup comprising of a 16MP primary sensor paired with a 2MP depth sensor, and a 2MP macro lens. The front camera on the smartphone uses an 8MP sensor and offers decent photos as output. The Moto G8 Power Lite is powered by a 5,000mAh battery for the best power output. The fingerprint sensor is on the rear of the smartphone and works very effective overall.
Price: Rs 8,999
- Here is the third video of our ongoing series of best smartphone deals 2020. With Amazon and Flipkart’s biggest annual sale underway, we bringing you a series of YouTube videos so you know exactly how to claim these offers and don’t miss out on the absolute best ones. In the video below, we’ll tell you…
- In this continuation of our series of the best Flipkart smartphone deals 2020, we have brought you another video explaining just how you can buy the iPhone XR for under 20,000. Flipkart has been surprising everyone this year with its massive discounts on smartphones, and with Cashify you’ll find out about all the latest and…
- As we all already know by now, Flipkart’s Big Billion Days and Amazon’s Great Indian Festival are upon us. And we all know what that means. Discounts raining everywhere! However, it can get quite confusing among so many offers that exactly what is the best smartphone deal. In order to help you solve that problem,…
- Vivo V20 is a mid-range smartphone, which is an impeccable deal from the brand and starts in India at a price of Rs.24,990.
- Your smartphone is always prone to security risk by hackers. Read and watch this to know how you can keep yourself safe.
Latest ReviewsView All
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is a top-of-the-line flagship device and a great companion for anything and everything you can think of.
- Xiaomi Redmi 9 Prime does make a strong contender since it has a few specs of the Note 9 series as well while arriving at a most affordable price tag.
- Samsung Galaxy M31s is a new addition to the Monster M-series by Samsung with large battery life and great overall performance.
- The Redmi Note 9 Pro/Pro Max is a premium-looking phone with a good camera and battery.