WhatsApp video call has undoubtedly brought us closer to our friends and family. With over 2 billion global users, the platform is used for texting, calling, sharing media, documents and more. While the app is known for its instant service, one question that bothers users is how safe the video call option is.
And you must be aware that WhatsApp data privacy has been a hot topic for a long now. Well, we will talk about the same in this article. So stay tuned and read till the end to know about the security and safety of WhatsApp video call.
Which Data is Collected by WhatsApp?
Before we move ahead, let us first see which data is gathered by WhatsApp.
- Name present on your account
- Your current WhatsApp profile picture
- Device that you are using
- Your last active status on WhatsApp
- Your contact details including individual and group contacts
- The groups that you are a part of on WhatsApp
- IP address
- Device build number
- Your WhatsApp about and Story shared
How Safe is WhatsApp Video Call?
WhatsApp video call is fast but is it secure? Well, just like messages, WhatsApp calls are also end-to-end encrypted. And when you make a call with WhatsApp, you can see “end-to-end encrypted” text on the top. This makes it difficult for the hackers to get through the calls and the information remains just between you and the person whom you have called.
However, WhatsApp can retain your data but it remains just with the app. So, in a way, the calls made through WhatsApp are safe. But you must keep in mind that the person on the other end can do screen recording or take screenshots, so always be careful what you are doing on calls or with whom you are doing the WhatsApp video call.
What is meant by End-to-end encryption?
When using WhatsApp, you would have seen the text “Your messages or end-to-end encrypted” and the same “end-to-end encrypted” text appears on the call screen too. So, what does it mean? Well, end-to-end encryption means the information remains just between you and the other person with whom you are sharing the information. No third person can have access to your messages and calls.
How to enable end-to-end encrypted backup?
The end-to-end encryption option offered by WhatsApp is not new. But now, the platform has added an extra layer of security to chat backups as well. Here’s how you can do it:
1: Open WhatsApp on your smartphone.
2: Tap on the three dots present at the top right corner of the screen.
3: In the drop-down menu that appears, click on Settings.
4: Now, go to Chats> Chat Backup> End-to-end encrypted backup.
5: Next, click on “Turn on” and then create a password or key.
6: Finally click on “Create” and wait till WhatsApp prepare the end-to-end encrypted backup.
How to stay safe on WhatsApp?
While the messages and WhatsApp video call are end-to-end encrypted, there still are chances for you to get exposed to hackers. Here are some ways to stay cautious on the app.
- Take advantage of the Privacy features
WhatsApp gives you the option where you can choose who can see your profile picture. You can set the privacy to either “Everyone”, “My Contacts”, “My Contacts Except” or “Nobody”. Here’s how to do so:
- Open WhatsApp on your smartphone or desktop.
- Go to Settings.
- Click on Privacy> Profile Photo.
- Choose your desired privacy option.
- Blocking is an option too
If anyone is misbehaving or becoming a hindrance to your privacy on the app, you can simply block them.
- Tap on the person’s chat on WhatsApp.
- Click on the three-dot option in the top-right corner of the chat.
- Then, tap on “More”.
- Finally, click on Block and you are done.
The person won’t be able to call or text you on WhatsApp anymore.
- Don’t share critical information through texts or calls
This one is general advice. No matter what platform you are using, you should not share your critical information like bank details, OTP, passwords, etc. with another person on the app.
- Never pick up calls from strange numbers
We know that the country code for calling for India is +91. And you would mostly get calls with numbers starting with the same. However, if you see any strange number, you must refrain from accepting the call as it might be of some scammer.
- Activate two-factor authentication
With two-factor authentication, you can double-lock your WhatsApp account. It gives you an additional hand on security. Here’s how you can activate two-factor authentication:
- Open WhatsApp on your smartphone.
- Tap on the three dots present at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Click on Accounts> Two-step verification> Turn on.
- Now, set a six-digit password of your own choice.
- Then, provide an email address that will help you reset the password in case you forget it.
- Now, tap Next.
- Confirm the email address and then click on Save.
Final Thoughts: Is WhatsApp Video Call Safe?
WhatsApp video call is trusted and safe. The app claims not to be releasing any of your data. However, the other person can do screen recording or take screenshots, thereby exposing you if they want to. So, you need to be sure with whom you are doing calls.
Also Read: Read This Before You Download Yo WhatsApp