Why Is Picture In Picture Implementation On iOS 14 Better Than Android?
Apple recently had its completely online WWDC Event in which they revealed their iOS 14 operating system for iPhones. This new software release soon made its way out as a developer beta and allowed users to try out the latest features added in this year’s release. iOS 14 comes with a new picture in picture mode that allows you to minimize a video in the form of a small floating thumbnail and use them alongside a full-screen application. While this feature was already present on Android devices for a few years now, here’s how iOS 14 does it better.
Highlights of the Story
- Apple conducted its WWDC Event completely online amidst the coronavirus pandemic to ensure no physical contact between people
- The company announced its latest iOS 14 software that introduces several new features including some features that were supposedly inspired by Android
- While the picture in picture mode of iOS 14 was previously found on Android devices for a few years now, here’s why iOS implements it better
Apple recently introduced the iOS 14 software during its completely online WWDC Event amidst the coronavirus pandemic. The newly announced software came with a lot of features and apple was subtly criticized for these “New” features that Android has already had for years. One of the prominent features that were inspired by Android was the Picture in Picture mode, a feature that we first saw on some Samsung smartphones before coming to Google’s Android OS by default.
Also read: Compare Mobile Phones
This feature is new to the iPhone, but it was already present on the iPad. While this option is completely new for millions of iPhone users worldwide, Android smartphone users have been using this feature to the fullest for a few years now. However, Apple has done a better job of implementing this feature in its latest operating system, and here is why we feel so.
The Picture in Picture mode allows you to watch a thumbnail size video play in the corner of your display while you can do other things on the phone. The video sticks around when you pop open a chat window, scroll through a website on a browser (Safari Only as of now), or browse through your Instagram feed so that you can continue to watch the video on your iPhone from any screen.
While Apple calls this feature as Picture in Picture, it is commonly known as picture-in-picture in the Android world or as PiP in short.
Also read: Apple Mobile Price List In India
Apple announced support for the Apple TV, Podcasts, Safari, FaceTime, iTunes, Home, and any other app that supported the same feature on the iPad. App developers can take advantage of the Picture in Picture will have to use Apple’s APIs for this feature. Picture in Picture mode is of great convenience no matter which phone you use it on.
When you start watching a video on a compatible app, if you open another app such as WhatsApp to reply to a text, or open your Mailing application to check for a mail when you swipe up to go to the Home, your video shrinks down and continues to play in a thumbnail view and this works even with the FaceTime video calls.
This thumbnail view is persistent which means that you can switch to any app that you want for as long as you want without the video disappearing. You can pinch to zoom on the video window, you can also simply drag it with your fingertip to move it around the display.
If you feel distracted with picture in picture window, you can swipe it off to the side so that it docks in and disappears, you will be left with a tab that you can pull when you want it out again. While the video is hidden the audio continues to play even when you dock the video thumbnail out of view.
You can pause, go forward, and more on apps that support these controls in the picture in picture view. You can tap on a control on the window to go full screen or choose to close the video if you are done with the view.
The most important feature of the iOS 14 Picture in Picture mode was the docking feature, it caught a lot of people’s attention when Apple demonstrated this feature to the world. On Android smartphones, you can drag around the PiP window anywhere on the screen but if you move it to the edges it will bump back into the view and stay within the display. There were multiple times that users have ended up close the window because it was always in the way, iOS comes with a better implementation.
Also Read: 5 Reasons To Sell Your Old iPhone SE
Users don’t always want to close the video, the option to keep the audio playing when the video is docked is extremely useful, this can be especially helpful while making a FaceTime call so that you can use the entire display while still talking to the other person.
- Here's how to watch India vs England test, T20, and ODI series online for free. The series is set to begin on February 5th, Friday
- Tempered glass has the ability to protect your mobile phone screen from accidental drops to a certain limit. Installing a tempered glass is not an easy task and it requires precision. Here we list out a step-by-step installation process to apply the tempered glass on your smartphone.
- Rooting your Android phone brings numerous benefits that most people are unaware of. Not only does it improve your mobile phone's functioning, but it also gives you a wide variety of new features that were not available before. These advantages have been explained in this article, so do not miss out on them anymore.
- Free Fire has a variety of character skins that can be purchased via diamonds. Diamonds are the in-game currency of the game and this is how you can get it for free without purchasing.
- #LeBechDiya. What exactly are we talking about here? Well, here we want you to imagine a scenario where selling your used phone is so easy, so simple, and so convenient that you can literally brag about it. Usually when we think about selling something, it can be quite a hassle. Putting it up on some…
Latest ReviewsView All
- Redmi 9 Power is for you if you are looking for a phone which is under Rs 12,000/-, has a large battery, and you want to multi-task.
- Xiaomi Mi 10i is an excellent phone at a budget in India with a blend of more than an average processor.