Google Removes Over 2,500 China-linked YouTube Channels
It is a part of an ongoing investigation on some channels.
Highlights of the Story
- Google removes a number of YouTube channels linking to China.
- These are the channels sharing disinformation, according to reports.
- More than 2500 channels are on the list.
With respect to their investigations to weed out disinformation, Google has finally deleted more than 2,500 channels from YouTube. Moreover, these channels are linking with China and are under scrutiny.
If you are wondering what is disinformation, it means deliberately spreading wrong information into the system creating panic or doubts in the world.
Google states the channels were removed between April and June “as part of our ongoing investigation into coordinated influence operations linked to China.”
According to Google quarterly bulletin, these channels posted “spammy, non-political content,” but a few touched on politics.
However, Google did not identify these channels in detail and only divulged limited information on the same. Although, they linked it to a similar activity spotted by Twitter and to a disinformation campaign identified in April by social media analytics company Graphika.
Meanwhile, the Chinese Embassy in the U.S did not comment on the situation. Actively not responding to a message seeking their comment. However, Beijing has denied doing so in the past.
This is a burning concern for American politicians and technologists alike since the 2016 presidential election. As the Russian-Government linked actors seeded deceptive messages into the social media during the time.
Many giants like Facebook, Google are continuously working on updating their systems to avoid such incriminations on the internet.
The bulletin also mentioned activity tied to other countries, including Iran and Russia.
Also read: Best mobile phones under 35000
- The OnePlus 9R was launched in April as a reasonable and appealing option for smartphone users who did not want to spend more than Rs 40,000. Then the 2021 launches rolled down, and the OnePlus 9R was no longer as competitive as it had been– it had simply become the most affordable way to get…
- The IPL 2021 resumption matches have been scheduled to kick off from September 19, 2021. When it comes to the location, the matches will be held in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Now, as the IPL 2021 schedule and stadium information are out of the way, let us talk a bit about the matches. The…
- In this article, we will be talking about a very popular Apple phone which is the iPhone 11. There is a huge confusion revolving around whether one should buy this iPhone in 2021 or not? Hence, we will be talking about 5 reasons that make buying the iPhone 11 worth it even in 2021. Also…
- Should you buy iPhone 12 in 2021? Or wait for iPhone 13?
- Lately, Tecno has been slaying the competition in the sub-Rs10,000 price bracket. Last we made a video of Tecno Spark 7, which was launched at Rs 8,999. Today, the brand has sent us their Tecno Camon 17, which is launched in India at Rs 12,999. Processor Gone are the days when we used to complain…