Almost every computer has problems with performance at some point. Fortunately, there are simple solutions available that do not necessitate contacting technical assistance. One of these methods is to format your laptop in order to eliminate any viruses, boost its speed, or prepare it for a new user.
To begin, you must first determine your operating system and the steps necessary to reset your laptop. If you’re using another operating system than Windows, you’ll need to follow various steps to do a full factory reset, so make sure you know which one you’re using before you start.
In comparison to previous versions of the Microsoft operating system, doing a factory reset in Windows 10 is a little different. It’s a lot easier to do, and it simplifies the procedure for people who are doing a reset for the first time. Other versions of Windows may be significantly more difficult, necessitating system backups.
This guide will show you how to effortlessly format your laptop.
Before you begin
It’s recommended that you back up your system first, regardless of the operating system you’re using. Even if you don’t anticipate the need for a backup, it’s a good idea to have one in case you need to reload files or transfer them to a new device.
You may even set up frequent backups so you don’t have to worry about losing vital data if your operating system fails to launch. You should also make sure that these backups are routed to somewhere other than your hard drive, such as cloud storage, in case something goes wrong and your hard drive crashes.
Steps to format Windows 10 laptop
- To begin again, go to Reset this PC and select Get Started.
- Navigate to settings by choosing the gear symbol on the start menu to reset your Windows 10 laptop.
- From the menu, select the Update & Security option.
- In the left pane, select Recovery. You can also use the laptop’s search function to find the reset option.
- You can find Reset this PC, Go back to an earlier build, and Advanced startup. The advanced setup allows you to boot from a recovery USB drive or disc, whereas Go to an earlier build is for Windows Insiders who want to revert to a previous version of the operating system. To start over, select Get Started from the Reset this PC menu.
- On your screen, you’ll see the options Keep my files and Remove everything. The former will format your laptop without deleting your personal files, whilst the latter would delete everything on your computer, including apps, settings, and personal files. All of your settings will be reset to their defaults, and programmes will be uninstalled in any case.
- Click the option, then Remove files and clean the drive > Next > Reset > Continue if you want to remove everything. The laptop will automatically restart and reset.
- Aside from the Remove files and clean the drive, Windows 10 also allows you to Just remove my files, which is faster but less safe. Anyone who intends to keep the laptop should do so.
Steps to format Windows 7 laptop
- Click Start and then go to Control Panel to reset your Windows 7 laptop.
- From the pop-up menu, select System and Security.
- Click Backup and Restore, then Recover system settings on your computer > Advanced Recovery Methods
- Restore files from a system image backup and Return Your Computer to Factory Condition are the two options presented by Windows. To reset your computer, select the second option.
- You’ll have two choices this time: Back up now, or continue with the factory reset without saving any of your current files. Make your decision based on this.
- To restart your computer and begin the format procedure, press the Restart button.
The laptop will turn off and resume after a few moments, with the System Recovery option prompting you to choose a keyboard input method. For the following options, select Next:
- Restore the factory defaults of the operating system.
- Restore operating systems while preserving user information (You still have the option to restore your data)
Choose the first choice, Restore operation system to factory default > click Next, then Next again, and finally Ok. The system will be reset and a fresh copy of Windows will be installed.
Also read: 5 Best Free Cloud Storage Softwares
A creative writer and an artist by heart! I discovered writing as a way to express myself in ways I wouldn't otherwise be able to. I felt I was losing myself, but somewhere between commas and rhythmic parameters, I rediscovered myself.