How To Track Your Lost Mobile Phone With IMEI Number?
Each mobile phone, including feature phones and smartphones, has a unique identification number. This is commonly called an IMEI number and is used by the network providers to identify the phone on network. Here’s how we can track a lost mobile phone with its IMEI number even if the SIM card has been changed!
Table Of Contents
- 1How to Find a Lost or Stolen Phone Using IMEI Number – IMEI tracker
- 2Benefits of IMEI tracker
- 3What is CEIR?
Highlights of the Story
- IMEI is the unique identification number for any mobile phone and is used by network providers to identify a smartphone.
- The IMEI number is linked to the mobile phone hardware and does not change even if we remove or replace the SIM Card.
- IMEI number is commonly used to trace a phone location even if the SIM card has been changed.
Did you know that you can use the IMEI number to track your lost Android phone? IMEI Number for the IMEI tracker is the unique identification number for each mobile phone. Fun fact; almost every one of us has lost our phone once in our lives, but without a SIM card, GPS location or Internet access, it may seem like all is lost when your phone goes missing. However, IMEI number is here to save the day!
IMEI number is like an identity certificate for your phone, however, it can also come in SUPER HANDY to track your lost mobile phone. IMEI Tracker is used by the network providers to uniquely identify a mobile phone on the network and extend its services. An IMEI number of the smartphone can be found at the back of the device, either underneath the battery or on the device’s back panel. In addition, the IMEI number is commonly used to track a phone even if the SIM card has been changed.
The phone tracking project has been in development for a while, and it was formed with the sole intention of reducing theft and the counterfeit mobile phone business. The government of India has allocated about Rs 15 Crore to this project with hopes of a solid outcome.
How to Find a Lost or Stolen Phone Using IMEI Number – IMEI tracker
Step 1: The first step is to file a report with the police about the lost or stolen phone and keep a copy of the report.
Step 2: Then, contact your service provider to issue a duplicate SIM card; when you request the blocking of the IMEI number, you will get an OTP on this number. This will not allow you to track your lost mobile but basically render it entirely useless for the person who finds it with malicious intent.
Step 3: Visit the portal here for blocking the IMEI and attach the required documents. You will need a copy of the police report, identity proof, purchase invoice, and other details.
Step 4: You will get an OTP On the number you entered; this should be the same number active on the phone before it gets lost.
Step 5: You will then be given a request ID, and you can check the requestor’s status to unblock the IMEI if required in the future.
IMEI Tracker – What Then?
When you file a complaint against a lost or stolen mobile phone, the network operator will share the device’s IMEI number as blacklisted to the central database, and other operators will also ban the device so that it doesn’t work on any network even if the SIM card is removed or replaced. This new initiative from the Department of Telecom has considerable potential and will hopefully help many users.
Also Read: What Is IMEI Number And How To See It!
Please note: While it is technically not possible to track the lost mobile directly from your phone, it is possible to put the phone on an alert list by the network operator. This way, the phone can be identified when connected to a network. You can do this by following the FIR process and adding your phone IMEI to the blacklist using the method above.
You will ensure that the law enforcement authorities and the network operators are on the lookout for your mobile phone. And when they identify the mobile phone on their network, the law enforcement authorities will reach out to you.
Benefits of IMEI tracker
IMEI number cannot be changed
The IMEI number cannot ever be changed by anyone, which is precisely what is used to track lost mobile phones. Even the thieves who stole your mobile cannot change that number. The sim can, or the location can be turned off, but the IMEI number can never get replaced. Therefore, it is essential to store the IMEI number of the phone.
You can block the IMEI number
Blocking the IMEI number enables you to stop your mobile phone usage. So, even if the thief has your phone, he cannot use it if you block the IMEI number. So, if your phone gets stolen, the first thing to do is block the IMEI number. However, you need to contact the police for doing so.
While we have some excellent tools such as Find my iPhone or Find my Phone on android, they are useless if the phone lacks an internet connection. Every third-party or first-party app on the phone fails to work generally without an active internet connection.
What is CEIR?
The Government of India has unveiled the Central Equipment Identity Register or CEIR. This basically allows users to block or track a lost phone. Even the new SIM card is removed or replaced. This, the latest technology will work, in turn, efficiently tracks a lost mobile phone. The registry is managed by the Centre for Development of Telematics.
They work with telecom operators and other regulatory authorities to track lost smartphones. CEIR is a central database with the IMEI numbers of all mobile operators. Since each mobile phone has a unique IMEI number, it is easy to differentiate the device from others.
If you are looking to sell your old phone or recycle your old phone, go with Cashify and get rewarded instantly! Check out all the most exciting deals on mobile phones, laptops and other gadgets, today!
- iQOO Neo 6, with its price range similar to iQOO 7 and OnePlus Nord 2, directly competes with them. Both of them were the best mid-range smartphones of the previous year. Let’s find out the similarities, differences and which phone among these three at the price of Rs. 30,000 will suit you the most. Also…
- Xiaomi 12 Pro comes with high-end specifications, but while paying Rs. 70,000 a user thinks they should buy an iPhone rather than a Xiaomi phone. They are buying an Apple iPhone 13 or a feature-packed Xiaomi mi 12 Pro in this price range; what would be a better option? Let’s find out! Also read: iPhone…
- iPhone 13 is a charming device with excellent specs, but what if you can get the same hardware in a compact size; enter Apple iPhone 13 Mini. This pocket size performance packed mobile phone is a charmer when it comes to features, looks and usability. So, if you’re confused about whether you should buy the…
- We all have to agree that the Apple Airpods Pro is an exceptional earbud, and because it is outstanding, it has multiple evil twins, aka fake Airpods. So, have you recently bought an Apple Airpods pro and wondered if the product is original or not? There is a quick and effective way to check its…
- There is probably a thin line between Realme GT Neo 3 and OnePlus 9RT; both mobile phones are spectacular in their price bracket. However, experts like us only notice a few bits here and there. So, to help you out, we have brought a full comparison between the Realme GT Neo 2 VS OnePlus 9RT.…