8 Things To Do Immediately When You Have Lost Your Phone
We all have lost a phone at some point, and its important to not panic at the moment and take appropriate steps to keep your data secure We have shared 8 mindful tips that will help you act immediately after losing your smartphone. And also, make sure that it does not happen again.
Highlights of the Story
- Smartphones contain all our personal data, our banking information and much more of our personal and professional life.
- Nothing is worse than losing your smartphone, and if you have been the unfortunate once. Make sure to follow these immediate actions to keep your data secure.
Whenever we lose our phone, we panic. That’s the first thing we do. Whether you just lost it somewhere or your phone has been stolen, other than panicking over it, you must act immediately to keep your personal information secure. People lose their smartphones quite often, and nothing holds more personal information than our smartphone itself.
So, Don’t panic and do the following steps in case of an unfortunate event.
1. Try Calling Your Number Immediately
The first thing you should do after discovering that you have lost your phone, call it from another number. Maybe you have not lost it yet; maybe you have replaced it with someone’s phone or mistakenly left it at a store. If your phone is not in silent mode, you could still hear it and if it is nearby you can locate it.
But if someone has picked up the phone after it fell down from your pocket or pouch, they can answer it immediately after seeing you calling. If it rings and somebody answers the phone, it is safe, but if they don’t answer the phone or your number is off, you need to call for big help.
2. Lock Down Your Phone Right Away
It is always recommended for Android and iOS users to keep their phones locked with patterns, face-recognition lock, fingerprint, voice-recognition lock, passwords, etc. But you can also lock your iPhone remotely so that no one can access your private information. You can Activate Lost Mode on your iPhone by logging into another device and clicking on Find My iPhone option by logging into your Apple account.
If it’s an Android device, you can use the Android Device Manager and look for the recent location of your device with Find My Device option with your same google id. Here you also get an option to secure your device, that will start displaying a message on the smartphone. You can even erase your device remotely in with Android Find My Device.
3. Track Your Phone Using GPS
If calling does not help, try to locate the phone using your phone’s GPS. However, if you haven’t activated your phone’s GPS from the start, this method won’t help you at all. Your Android devices come with an inbuilt location tracking service that tracks the activities you do with your mobile phone. You can log in to your Google account from another device and go to Google Location History to track your lost phone’s current location.
Or with the help of Android Find My Device for Android or Find My iPhone you can check the recent location of your smartphone.
4. Erase All the Data Remotely
If calling or using GPS is not enough to know your phone’s location, maybe the person who got it took out the battery and your sim card as well. You can try to erase all your data from your iCloud or Google account, but this won’t let you track your device again. But if you had kept a backup of all your data before you lost your phone, you can restore it back again.
5. Report Your Stolen or Lost Phone to the Cops
If you think that you have not lost your phone, preferably, it was stolen, then report it as soon as possible to the cops. Though the chance of getting your phone back is nearly zero, you can at least show the reference number to demand your insurance. However, you need to make sure that your phone is stolen and not lost.
In India you can file your FIR (First Information Report) online using this link and report your stolen device without visiting the Police station.
6. Deactivate Your SIM Card
As soon as you discover that your phone is not receiving any calls from you, contact your service provider to ask them to suspend your SIM card. This is not going to get your phone back, but you can at least prevent the misuse of your number. Moreover, if your mobile wallets are linked to your phone number, then the person who stole your phone can rob your account, as the OTP will be sent to your phone number during a purchase. This is a stressful situation as it is, and the last thing you want right now is no balance on your account to buy a new phone.
7. Secure Your Online Accounts
Not only your emails but your social network accounts are also important. The moment someone finds your phone or steals it from you, that person can easily look into your social media accounts and pretend to be you. They can access your Facebook, Whatsapp, Instagram, and other networks and text people you usually do. To prevent this, change your passwords from all of those accounts, including Google and other emails you have.
Preferably try to wipe your smartphone with the help of Android Device Manager or iCloud.
8. Unlink Your Accounts
If changing passwords does not give you that mental satisfaction, you can unlink all your cloud accounts manually. Unlinking your cloud storage like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc., can also stop the syncing process, making your accounts safer. You can do this from your desktop or another mobile device by going to the account’s security page and removing your lost device from the list.
Also Read: Best Upcoming Smartphones of 2021 in India
How to Keep Your Device Safe, Always
If you have already spent more than 3 months without your previous smartphone and using a new one, you need to take some precautionary measures to make sure the disaster does not happen again. Here are some things you should do after getting a new phone in your pocket.
1. Try to Enable Tracking Location
With Android Device Manager, you can track your phone from anywhere, but you need to make sure that your phone’s location is turned on. When you access the Android Device Manager from another phone, it will show you the latest position of your mobile and when it was online for the last time.
2. Secure Your Phone with a Password
As soon as you get a new phone in your hand, make sure to secure it with a password, pattern, voice recognition, or anything of that sort. These security features will keep your data safe for at least a while until the person hacks your phone. And it will also buy you some time to change your passwords, lock your SIM card, and secure your cloud storage by unlinking them.
3. Keep Your Mobile Internet Data Enabled
A tracking app needs your phone’s location to be turned on, but it also needs your mobile’s internet connection. Even if you have access to a high-speed WIFI network, always keep your mobile data on though it affects your battery life. If you haven’t turned it on, consider it gone forever.
4. Back Your Data By Syncing to Cloud Storages
You don’t want to lose all your photos and stuff that you have kept for a long time. Instead, try to sync them to your cloud storage every day to get to see them again. In fact, it will help you keep everything in place when you get a new phone in your hand. Try a monthly backup of your data to google drive, iCloud or any offline storage to make sure you have a copy of data in case of any unfortunate event.
Also Read: Top 5 Cloud Storage Apps for iOS And Android
5. Maybe Always Purchase a Phone with Non-Removable Batteries
If your phone’s battery is not removable, they can’t track you by removing the battery. Most of the types of phones these days come with this feature.
Now that you have taken all the safety measures, it’s hard to lose your phone, but if you still do, you know how to find it.
- Here's how to watch India vs England test, T20, and ODI series online for free. The series is set to begin on February 5th, Friday
- Tempered glass has the ability to protect your mobile phone screen from accidental drops to a certain limit. Installing a tempered glass is not an easy task and it requires precision. Here we list out a step-by-step installation process to apply the tempered glass on your smartphone.
- Rooting your Android phone brings numerous benefits that most people are unaware of. Not only does it improve your mobile phone's functioning, but it also gives you a wide variety of new features that were not available before. These advantages have been explained in this article, so do not miss out on them anymore.
- Free Fire has a variety of character skins that can be purchased via diamonds. Diamonds are the in-game currency of the game and this is how you can get it for free without purchasing.
- #LeBechDiya. What exactly are we talking about here? Well, here we want you to imagine a scenario where selling your used phone is so easy, so simple, and so convenient that you can literally brag about it. Usually when we think about selling something, it can be quite a hassle. Putting it up on some…
Latest ReviewsView All
- Redmi 9 Power is for you if you are looking for a phone which is under Rs 12,000/-, has a large battery, and you want to multi-task.
- Xiaomi Mi 10i is an excellent phone at a budget in India with a blend of more than an average processor.
- The compact and handy design of iPhone 12 Mini will make you fall for it at the first looks.