UPI-based Payment Products for Feature Phone Users To Launch: RBI
Highlights of the Story
- RBI is planning to launch a UPI-based payment product for feature phone users.
- As of now, feature phone users have limited access to innovative payment products.
- RBI further wants to simplify the process flow for small value transactions over UPI.
RBI has proposed to launch UPI-based payment products for feature phone users. Governor Shaktikanta Das also announced to enhance the transaction limit for payments through UPI for the Retail Direct Scheme from Rs. 2 lakh to Rs. 5 lakh. As we know, feature phones are basic phones, which typically provide voice calling and text messaging functionalities. Although it does have basic multimedia and internet options.
In the past couple of years, Unified Payments Interface (UPI) has emerged as a popular mode of payment through smartphones. India has a large mobile phone consumer base of about 118 crore users (TRAI, October 2021). In this, a significant number of users are still on feature phones. But feature phone users have limited access to innovative payment products. Although these phones have NUUP (National Unified USSD Platform) as an option for availing basic payment services using the shortcode of *99#, the same has not picked up.
Also read: Samsung Galaxy S21 FE Details Leaks Again!
“UPI is the single largest retail payment system in the country in terms of volume of transactions (14 crore transactions per day, October 2021). One of the initial objectives of UPI was to replace cash for low value transactions. Transaction data analysis shows that 50 per cent of transactions through UPI were below Rs. 200, indicating its success. These low value transactions, however, utilise significant system capacity and resources. At times leading to customer inconvenience due to transaction failures because of issues related to connectivity.”RBI in a statement
On-Device Wallet For Small Value Transactions
In order to further deepen digital payments and make them more inclusive, it has it is proposed to:
(1) launch UPI-based payment products for feature phone users, leveraging on innovative products from the RBI’s Regulatory Sandbox on Retail Payments;
(2) make the process flow for small value transactions simpler through a mechanism of ‘on-device’ wallet in UPI applications; and
(3) enhance the transaction limit for payments through UPI for the Retail Direct Scheme for investment in G-secs and Initial Public Offering (IPO) applications from Rs. 2 lakh to Rs. 5 lakh.
All of this aims to ease transactions for consumers, facilitate greater participation of retail customers in various segments of financial markets and enhance the capacity of service providers. Governer Das also proposed to release a discussion paper on various charges in the payment system to have a holistic view of the issues involved and possible approaches to mitigating the concerns so as to make digital transactions more affordable.
- We’ll discuss the camera quality of iPhone 11 Pro Vs iPhone 12 Pro Vs iPhone 13 Pro here. The iPhone 13 Pro’s A15 Bionic processor produces more consistent and quicker shots. In the 11 Pro and even the 12 Pro, there was a frequent lag between hitting the button and taking the photo. You’ll get the iPhone 11 Pro at ₹79,999…
- Everyone is eagerly waiting to know about the camera specs and quality of the newly launched Nothing Phone 1. Also, most of us are well aware of the camera quality of the other two phones. Nothing Phone 1’s lowest price currently available is Rs. 31,999, whereas the OnePlus 9RT 5G is listed at Rs. 42,999, and iPhone 12 costs Rs.…
- In 2022, most of the smartphone launches were boring. But with the much-hyped Nothing Phone 1 launch, the revolution in the smartphone industry took place. Also, the Nothing Phone 1 is the first smartphone produced by Nothing, a technological organisation established by Carl Pei, who was also a co-founder of OnePlus. Furthermore, the Phone 1’s…
- In this article, the POCO F4 Vs iQOO Neo 6 are compared. Both smartphones are excellent. But one is superior to the other. On June 23, 2022, the POCO F4 5G was made available. The iQOO Neo 6 launch was on May 31, 2022. The price of the POCO F4 5G is Rs. 27,999. The cost…
- The iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max are still in excellent condition, and Apple’s flagship iPhone 13 series devices are wonderful, but some of you might want to wait for the iPhone 14, which is likely to launch at the end of 2022. We know the iPhone 13 has great…