Redmi 8 has a look that can make it seem like a phone that’s stepping out of the budget zone. Priced at Rs. 7,999, the phone does come at the budget range but has to fight several contenders to take over the budget king spot.
Redmi 8 has a weak processor that might help you with your daily tasks, but overall, it is a very dated and slow chipset. While the battery is good, the lack of proper power under its hood makes it a disappointing phone to go for.
Redmi 8 is a budget phone from one of India’s best selling brands. It has a few pros and cons:
- The phone has a beautiful gradient look to it, which makes it look brilliant.
- The Redmi 8 arrives with a decent display.
- The phone comes with a massive battery that can keep chugging for more than a day.
- The Redmi 8 can click decent shots in the daytime.
- The Redmi 8 has a very dated processor.
- It fails to click decent pictures in low-light situations.
Redmi 8 may look good, but inside, it remains a poor handset. Even as a budget phone, it is not recommended.
Despite coming with a handsome look, the budget king Xiaomi disappoints with the Redmi 8 arriving with a weak processor and a passable camera, but a massive battery pack.
The Redmi 8 arrives with a 6.22-inch screen with a 720×1520 pixel resolution. It also has an aspect ratio of 19:9. The colours presented on display are quite decent though you may not get the vibrant AMOLED screen experience from this phone. Plus, the phone has a thick bottom bezel, which makes it a less immersive phone in general. On top of that, the colours on this phone can seem a bit washed out.
Redmi 8 arrives with a gradient look that puts it outside its budget zone. It seems like Xiaomi has put an effort to create a near-premium-looking phone with the Redmi 8. The phone is quite compact, and the overall build quality is satisfactory. The buttons are placed at an ergonomic position too. The fingerprint scanner is at the center of the back panel, and it can be reached with ease. It comes with dimensions of 156.30 x 75.40 x 9.40mm. It is quite lightweight, too, at 188 grams. Redmi 8 has been released in Sapphire Blue, Ruby Red, and Onyx Black colours.
Redmi 8 gets its power from the 2GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 439 processor. The processor is inferior and cannot be justified when compared with the price. The phone comes with 3GB RAM. You can handle basic tasks with this processor, but you cannot handle intensive tasks. You cannot run graphics-intensive games like PUBG properly on this handset. Even games like Subway Surfer might struggle on this phone.
Redmi 8 arrives with a 12MP primary camera with a supporting 2MP camera for depth sensing. The photos captured by this phone in the morning, when there is adequate light, are quite decent. The details are adequately captured. However, at night, there is a bit of grain present. The portraits are not very good, either. On the front, the phone comes with an 8MP selfie camera. It can click decent selfies when the lights are adequate.
The Redmi 8 gets its fuel from a 5000 mAh non-removable battery. The battery is the main USP of this phone. Even with heavy tasks, the phone can chug on for more than a day. It can be a reliable companion for your daily use. Redmi 8 also has fast charging though it can still take nearly 2 hours to get the battery fully charged.
Redmi 8 may not look like a budget phone, but under its hood, it presents mostly budget specifications. The USP of this model is the 5000 mAh battery that it arrives with. However, along with that, Redmi 8 comes with a poor performance, which cannot be expected from a phone at this price. The performance can only allow you to conduct essential tasks without going for any intensive activity. The display of the phone is quite poor too. Overall, it is not a recommended phone as there are better phones present in this price range.
- Bluetooth4.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- Thickness0.37 inches
- Height6.15 inches
- Weight188 g
- ColorOnyx Black, Ruby Red, Sapphire Blue
- BuildGlass front (Gorilla Glass 5), plastic back, plastic frame
- Width2.97 inches
- Display TypeIPS LCD capacitive touchscreen
- Screen Size6.22 inches
- Pixel Density270 ppi
- ProtectionCorning Gorilla Glass 5
- Display Resolution720 x 1520 pixels
- Aspect Ratio19:9
- Screen to Body Ratio81.8%
- CPUOcta-core (4x1.95 GHz Cortex-A53, 4x1.45 GHz Cortex A53)
- Chipset GPQualcomm SDM439 Snapdragon 439 (12 nm)
- GPUAdreno 505
- OSAndroid 9.0 (Pie), MIUI 11
- Expandable MemorymicroSDXC (dedicated slot)
- RAM/Internal Storage32GB 3GB RAM, 64GB 4GB RAM
- Single Camera12 MP, f/1.8, 1/2.55", 1.4micron, Dual Pixel PDAF2 MP, (depth)
- Back Camera FeaturesLED flash, HDR, panorama
- Back Camera Video1080p30fps
- Front Camera Video1080p30fps
- Single Camera8 MP, f/2.0, 1.12 micron
- Front Camera FeaturesHDR
- HeadPhone JackYes
- Audio FeaturesActive noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- User ReplaceableNon-removable
- Battery Capacity5000 mAh battery
- Charging18W fast charging supported with Type-C port
- Battery TypeLi-Po
- USB2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- RadioWireless FM radio (no wired headphones required)
- Network SupportGSM / HSPA / LTE
- GPSYes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- SIMDual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- WLANWi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- SensorsFingerprint (rear-mounted), Ambient Light Sensor,Proximity Sensor,E Compass,Accelerometer
- Water ResistantWater-repellent coating
- Announced On2019, October
- StatusAvailable. Released 2019, October
Price / Buy
Get the best price for Xiaomi Redmi 8
- Monthly Round-up Of Smartphones Launched in August 2020!Sat, 26 Sep'20The August month of 2020 was full of exciting launches of new mobile phones. There were 15 new launches in total and some took the market by surprise and filled people with excitement while others didn't have such an impact. Here are all the new smartphones that were announced in August 2020.
- Bluetooth Headsets have become quite common over the recent few years given the fact that most premium smartphones have decided to stop including the 3.5mm audio jack. Several smartphone manufacturers have launched Wireless headsets of their own to capture a fair share of the market. However, one question that has not been answered for several years is how does one decide between Bluetooth Headphones or True Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds.
- Top 10 Racing Games For Android And iOS!Sun, 20 Sep'20We all have grown up playing racing games all our life and these games are still very popular which is why these racing games are evergreen and everyone loves them. With smartphones becoming more and more powerful in recent times with highly powerful processors and GPUs, gaming on smartphones is much more fun than ever. And racing games being favorite of all here we list out the Top 10 Racing Games For Android And iOS!
- Best Emulators For Playing Console Games On Android!Sat, 19 Sep'20The classic console games were a lot of fun back then and we enjoyed playing these on our consoles a lot. These games included Super Mario, Contra, Pokemon, Pac-MAN etc. Fortunately we have some emulators on Android that ca run these same classic console games on our Android smartphone, and here are the Best Emulators For Playing Console Games on Android!
- How To Watch IPL 2020 For Free On Your Mobile Phone?Tue, 15 Sep'20Finally IPL 2020 is around the corner. After all the uncertainties because of this Covid-19 pandemic situation, the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League is ready to hit the ground. It's really good news to the cricket fans from every corner of the globe. People are searching for different streaming platforms to watch IPL online. Here we have provided 5 best platforms to stream IPL from mobile.
- Top 5 Flagship Smartphones That You Can Buy Right NowMon, 14 Sep'20When most people are buying a new smartphone, they consider a lot of factors to ensure that they make the right purchase decision for themselves, the price segment is an important aspect for purchase for the vast majority of the users. However, if you are not one among them and want the absolute best smartphone experience that money can buy, then we have compiled a list of the top 5 flagship smartphones that offer the most premium experience at a price.
- Top 5 Smart Watches You Can Buy In India Right Now!Thu, 10 Sep'20Smart Watches is a segment of the technology and wearable space that has seen a massive rise in the past few years, we’ve seen multiple iterations of the original Apple Watch over the years and also several Android Wear watches that have good integration with the Android smartphones. Samsung, Huami, Fitbit, and other brands have also launched multiple smartwatches that run on Tizen and other proprietary operating systems with good integration with both Android and iOS.
- 10 Best Apps To Learn Cooking On Android!Fri, 4 Sep'20Though there are hundreds of cooking apps to choose from, these cooking apps are top-rated and highly recommended owing to their unique features and also ease of use. All these apps have made everything handy, easy to follow, and quick. These apps also try to make the cooking experience more creative and enjoyable. Cooking apps are truly helpful not only for beginners but also for regular cooks. From breakfast to dinner, you can count on their recipes as they all provide irresistible recipes. You just need to get into the kitchen and follow them without any ifs or buts. They will surely lend a helping hand in the kitchen through their recipes.
- 10 Best Mobile Games That You Must Play In 2020!Fri, 4 Sep'20While everyone is staying home being safe, mobile gaming is something that has kept us entertained during this pandemic. Here we have listed out some of the best mobile games that you must not miss and should definitely try it out. All these games are free to download and are available on both Android and iOS app stores.
- Top 10 Best Gaming Phones In India – 2020 Edition!Thu, 3 Sep'20Gaming smartphones is a new segment that has recently developed into a massive interest for many, we have even started seeing several new devices come with budget gaming focussed processors such as the Snapdragon 765G by Qualcomm. However, if you are looking for the ultimate gaming smartphone then there’s more to consider than just the SoC on the smartphone, factors like the display, audio, and the overall software experience add up to offer the smoothest gaming experience. Here are the top 10 gaming smartphones to buy in 2020.
- 7.9spec scorePOCO X3₹16,999Add to compare
- 7.6spec scoreRealme 7₹14,999Add to compare
- 6.9spec scoreTecno Spark Go 2020₹6,499Add to compare
- 7.2spec scoreVivo Y20i₹11,490Add to compare
- 7.6spec scorePOCO M2₹10,999Add to compare
- 7.5spec scoreInfinix Note 7₹11,499Add to compare
- 7.6spec scoreNokia 5.3₹13,999Add to compare
- 7.1spec scoreMotorola Moto E7 Plus₹9,499Add to compare
- 7.5spec scoreRealme Narzo 20 Pro₹14,999Add to compare
- 7.4spec scoreRealme Narzo 20A₹8,499Add to compare