Smartphone Shipments Decline 41% In Q2 2020: Research
A nationwide lockdown and disruptive supply chains affected the shipments of smartphones for Q2 2020.
Highlights of the Story
- Shipments declined by 41 percent in Q2 2020.
- Signs of revival seen in the second half of the year.
A research firm CMR, states that disruption in supply chains and the nationwide lockdown affected the smartphone industry immensely this quarter. A dip in shipments declines to 41% in Q2 2020 affected the country.
However, the industry is showing some signs of revival or recovery in the second half of this year.
With Chinese smartphone players’ market share dipping to 73%, it is helping Samsung to shine. Although, the research firm highlights three top brands in the quarter. Xiaomi with 30% market share, Samsung with a 24% market share, and Vivo gets a 17% market share in the industry.
“As a consequence of the pandemic, Q2 2020 was, in essence, a lost quarter. While the mobile handset industry faced multiple challenges with respect to their supply and demand-side dynamics, the industry looks set on the path to a potential recovery in the coming months,” said Amit Sharma, Manager-Industry Intelligence Group, CMR.
At the same time, Nokia and Apple’s shares have declined.
Also Read: Samsung Galaxy M31s Launched In India
Leading Brands in the Industry now?
Meanwhile, Vivo’s V and Y series were popular and gave a 55 percent share in the shipment. On the other hand, shipments of both Realme and Oppo witnessed a two to three percent decline in Q2. Oppo was also under the top 5 brands this quarter.
In conclusion, the smartphone industry is looking for a great quarter with the festive season just around the corner.
Also read: Top 10 Mobile Phones
- With the massive digital advancement, some negative sides came hand in hand. This includes leaving our digital footprint and sharing unnecessary data on every end. From our personal data like name, email id, to bank details, all are vulnerable on our Android phone if privacy is not set properly. We have unveiled 5 secrets of changing privacy settings on Android phones here. Check out all the steps to safeguard your personal information.
- Should you buy the iPhone 12 Mini or get the cheaper iPhone SE instead? Here’s what you need to know.
- If you have WhatsApp Payments option in the app, let's take a look at how you can set up your account, and send and receive money.
- Mi 10T, Mi 10T Pro both feature triple rear camera setups.
- Micromax In series finally launched in India after much anticipation.
Latest ReviewsView All
- Samsung Galaxy M51 is a feature-packed phone and promises great performance, backed by a huge 7000 mAh battery.
- Realme 7 Pro offers some good set of specs like the OLED display, stereo speakers and the 65W fast charging but it misses out on others like the 90Hz refresh rate.
- The 6.1-inch iPhone 12 comes with 5G connectivity and sports a magnetic backing which Apple loves to call as ‘MagSafe’ for wireless charging.
- Samsung Galaxy F41 has a combination of a large and vibrant display with a powerful battery, a stunning design, and HD support.