Things To Consider While Buying A Used Or Refurbished Android Phone!
With brand new smartphones costing upwards of $1000, it can become extremely tempting to buy a refurbished smartphone or even used smartphones given how much lesser they cost than the brand-new device. While you can get a used Samsung Galaxy smartphone or an iPhone for as little as half the price of a brand-new smartphone, is it really safe to use. Phones that are released years ago run on outdated versions of Android and that might mean that they don’t have critical security updates, here are a few things that you need.
Highlights of the Story
- Refurbished and Used smartphones are generally available in the market for as less as half the price of a brand-new Samsung or Apple smartphone
- Phones that are released over a year ago might be running on outdated versions of Android further increasing the security risk
- If you plan to buy a refurbished or used smartphone then there are a few steps you can take to ensure that you have a better experience
When you are planning to make a purchase decision in getting a new Android smartphone, it might be very tempting to get a used or refurbished smartphone. Refurbished Android Phones cost as less as half the price of a brand-new smartphone, but these devices might come with an old version of Android and this might impose security constraints on the device making it riskier to use.
Also read: Buyback Offers
Most of the smartphones stop getting critical security updates after about 2 years that can help keep your data safe. If you are planning to buy a used or a refurbished Android phone then it is important to consider a few factors and risks before making the decision.
It is common for hackers to discover a new loophole and the phone manufacturers generally quickly send in security fixes patching the loopholes. Over a period of time smartphones get multiple security patches that help with the security of the phone and this is a continuous cycle of finding and fixing security issues in software.
Also read: Mobile Repair
Most of the manufacturers including Samsung, Google, OnePlus, and more support a phone for a specific period, and each new device that is released with a newer version of Android require a new set of threat assessment and patching. This is a lot of work to find and patch security loopholes for each smartphone and it becomes difficult for a brand to extend these security patches for more than a few years.
If your phone doesn’t run on the latest security patch then it is vulnerable for a few attaches, there have been reports that suggest that a vulnerable smartphone could allow full access to everything on the smartphone including personal and professional data, banking information, and more.
You could go to the Settings app and check for the Software Updates to see if there are any pending updates for your smartphone. If your smartphone says that it is running on the latest version, but the last update was several months ago then it might mean that your device is no longer supported.
Most users do not even realize when the safety of their device is compromised and Cybercriminals try to access the device as subtly as possible without triggering any alarms. Lookout for unknown but high data usage and sluggish performance which are both reasons that can also be attributed to older hardware as they degrade with time.
The best way to ensure your data safety is by not using a smartphone that is no longer supported for latest software updates, if you do not wish to upgrade just yet then there are a few things you can do that could help to an extent with your security.
- Make sure that you have the latest software installed on your smartphone if you purchased a used or a refurbished smartphone then do a full factory reset and only install apps from the Google Play Store and avoid third-party sources.
- Avoid banking apps or syncing company email and storing private pictures on your old phone, reports suggest that hackers might be able to manipulate a lot of data on the device and it is thus a good choice to keep as less data on it as possible
- Make sure you have Google Play Protect enabled and set to scan all the installed apps to ensure that your device doesn’t get affected with malware
While it is always a good option to upgrade to a newer smartphone when the support cycle of a device dies down, sometimes it is not possible to upgrade due to financial or other constraints. In these cases, it is extremely important to take additional care of your smartphone to keep it in good running condition.
- Here's how to watch India vs England test, T20, and ODI series online for free. The series is set to begin on February 5th, Friday
- Tempered glass has the ability to protect your mobile phone screen from accidental drops to a certain limit. Installing a tempered glass is not an easy task and it requires precision. Here we list out a step-by-step installation process to apply the tempered glass on your smartphone.
- Rooting your Android phone brings numerous benefits that most people are unaware of. Not only does it improve your mobile phone's functioning, but it also gives you a wide variety of new features that were not available before. These advantages have been explained in this article, so do not miss out on them anymore.
- Free Fire has a variety of character skins that can be purchased via diamonds. Diamonds are the in-game currency of the game and this is how you can get it for free without purchasing.
- #LeBechDiya. What exactly are we talking about here? Well, here we want you to imagine a scenario where selling your used phone is so easy, so simple, and so convenient that you can literally brag about it. Usually when we think about selling something, it can be quite a hassle. Putting it up on some…
Latest ReviewsView All
- Redmi 9 Power is for you if you are looking for a phone which is under Rs 12,000/-, has a large battery, and you want to multi-task.
- Xiaomi Mi 10i is an excellent phone at a budget in India with a blend of more than an average processor.
- The compact and handy design of iPhone 12 Mini will make you fall for it at the first looks.