Mi, Apple, Samsung Dominated The Second-hand Phone Market In 2019
Smartphone penetration in India is getting bigger than ever. Upgrading their smartphones every 1-2 years by users’ point towards an immense growth.
Highlights of the Story
- 20% of the users left their phones unused in drawers.
- The average smartphone lifecycle is dropping every new launch.
India in the last few years has shown a boost in tech adaptability like never before. Thus, showing an increase in the upgrading of smartphones by 19% in the first year and 44% in the 1-2 years.
Cashify through its intense research with the help of International Data Corporation, Counterpoint Research brought many facts to show how the recommerce market has grown. Cashify runs a platform for users to choose and compare smartphones for consumers. It also provides a platform for selling and exchange of pre-owned smartphones.
In the last year, the second-hand smartphone industry rose to a new level. Newer launches, brand options, attractive price points, and the desire for an upgrade are some of the major factors.
With more consumers opening up about selling and buying used handsets, the recommerce industry has seen a definite surge in 2019. Counterpoint declared India as the fastest-growing market for refurbished mobile phones.
Leaders in the Market
Many brands have made a place in the market share as the top choice by consumers. Among them are the top three: Xiaomi, Apple, and Samsung.
Xiaomi is called the money of the second-hand smartphone industry due to its quicker updates, innovation, offbeat marketing, and most importantly, it’s super-competitive pricing.
The majority of the credit goes to the Redmi Note 7 Pro, Redmi Note 7A, and Redmi Note 7S. They collectively contributed about 50 percent to the brands’ overall shipments. Redmi K20 Series added nearly 13 percent to total shipments.
IDC reports that Xiaomi clocked up a market share of 27.1 percent in Q3 2019.
After Xiaomi as the top-selling second-hand sales by users comes Samsung and Apple with a share of 16% both.
Apple had a comeback this year with their launch of iPhone XR in the market last year. 16.49% of total used devices sold by smartphone users in 2019 were iPhones, making it the second most resold brand of the year.
iPhone 6 was sold the most by its users, contributing about 28 percent of the total iPhones sold in the pre-owned market.
As for Samsung, 16.44 percent of pre-owned smartphones sold by people in 2019 compared to 20.3% in 2018. 27% of the Samsung Galaxy J2 was sold by most users selling a Samsung smartphone, followed by Galaxy J7 with nearly 19 percent share.
Samsung provides diverse offerings ranging from feature phones to mid-tier and premium segments. Moreover, Galaxy M and A series acted as saving grace for Samsung.
Also Read: Nubia Red Magic 5S Teased On Weibo
Other Brands in the Competition
OnePlus, Vivo, Oppo, and Realme are the competitors in the market for second-hand smartphones. Here are some numbered facts of these brands:
- 4.23 % of users sold their old OnePlus smartphones in 2019.
- Oppo brought its resale market share to 4.2 % in 2019.
- Realme sold by 1.05 % of users in 2019.
- Vivo smartphone users sold about 5 % of users in 2019.
Additionally, major reasons for an upgrade for most smartphone users have been connectivity (3G to 4G), gaming capacity, updates in mobile photography, and so on.
From 14 million shipments in 2018-19, refurbished handsets are expected to grow by 20-25 percent by 2020.
In the context of this topic, the truth index of the users who report their smartphones with true conditions are lower than not mentioning it clearly. It happens in almost all cities like New Delhi, Gurugram, Kolkata, Chennai, and Bengaluru.
According to the surveys conducted, Android and iOS-based pre-owned smartphones sold at 80% and 20% Pan India.
Also read: Exchange Offers
- Thinking to buy iPhone 12? Well, I would be happy to tell you that this is the perfect time to buy iPhone. We all know that the annual Flipkart and Amazon sale is going to start in just a few hours. So sit tight and read this article to know how to buy iPhone 12…
- We all have been waiting for the annual Flipkart and Amazon sale. If you are looking to buy an iPhone 11 this would be the perfect time to get one for yourself. In this article, we’ll tell you how you can get a brand new iPhone 11 for just Rs 25,499*. But first, let us…
- The OnePlus 9R was launched in April as a reasonable and appealing option for smartphone users who did not want to spend more than Rs 40,000. Then the 2021 launches rolled down, and the OnePlus 9R was no longer as competitive as it had been– it had simply become the most affordable way to get…
- The IPL 2021 resumption matches have been scheduled to kick off from September 19, 2021. When it comes to the location, the matches will be held in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Now, as the IPL 2021 schedule and stadium information are out of the way, let us talk a bit about the matches. The…
- In this article, we will be talking about a very popular Apple phone which is the iPhone 11. There is a huge confusion revolving around whether one should buy this iPhone in 2021 or not? Hence, we will be talking about 5 reasons that make buying the iPhone 11 worth it even in 2021. Also…