Table Of Contents
- 1Rise of Qualcomm
Highlights of the Story
- Qualcomm and MediaTek are the two major smartphone chip manufacturers in 2022.
- Both have shown massive growth in their chipset shipment and revenue.
- Qualcomm is still leading the premium smartphone segment.
In 2022, Qualcomm and MediaTek will be the two biggest smartphone chip makers; Qualcomm will continue to lead the premium smartphone category, but MediaTek’s premium Dimensity 9000 series will catch up.
According to Counterpoint’s Global Headset Model Sales Tracker, MediaTek has the upper hand in the Android smartphone SoC market in 2021. With over 44 per cent of shares compared to Qualcomm’s 35 per cent.
Rise of Qualcomm
However, Qualcomm reclaimed the top spot in the first quarter of 2022. They reported sales of $11.6 billion for the third quarter in a row, with an annual growth rate of 28 per cent to 61 per cent.
Qualcomm’s concentration on the premium smartphone category is the primary driver of this development. Qualcomm’s flagship Snapdragon 8 Gen1 processor, which is used by most Android smartphone makers in their flagship smartphones, is the company’s principal volume-generating tool.
Furthermore, Qualcomm owns a 75 per cent share of the Samsung Galaxy S22 5G series. It is the key driver of this tremendous revenue growth. The Galaxy series is one of the most popular smartphone models worldwide.
In recent news, we’ve heard that Qualcomm’s flagship processor, the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, is experiencing severe heating and throttling concerns, prompting numerous manufacturers to underclock the chipset which is negatively impacting the device’s performance.
On the other side, MediaTek’s flagship processor, the Dimensity 9000 series, has been praised for its improved thermal control system and substantial performance improvement, which in many situations outperforms the overall performance of Snapdragon 8 Gen 1.
If Qualcomm fails to address this issue, we may see MediaTek taking the lead in the flagship market in the future.
- iQOO smartphones are doing well in the market because they have an understanding of the desires of an Indian consumer, a good smartphone at a reasonable price. Read this article if you are confused about which phone to buy between iQOO Neo 6 and iQOO 7. Also read: New OnePlus Phone Tipped To Launch With…
- If you frequently travel on Delhi Metro, you must have noticed that the internet does not work well during peak hours and when the metro goes through underground tunnels. We tested both Jio and Airtel while travelling from Noida to Gurugram. Although this is not a scientific experiment, we tried to be as fair as…
- iQOO Neo 6, with its price range similar to iQOO 7 and OnePlus Nord 2, directly competes with them. Both of them were the best mid-range smartphones of the previous year. Let’s find out the similarities, differences and which phone among these three at the price of Rs. 30,000 will suit you the most. Also…
- Xiaomi 12 Pro comes with high-end specifications, but while paying Rs. 70,000 a user thinks they should buy an iPhone rather than a Xiaomi phone. They are buying an Apple iPhone 13 or a feature-packed Xiaomi mi 12 Pro in this price range; what would be a better option? Let’s find out! Also read: iPhone…
- iPhone 13 is a charming device with excellent specs, but what if you can get the same hardware in a compact size; enter Apple iPhone 13 Mini. This pocket size performance packed mobile phone is a charmer when it comes to features, looks and usability. So, if you’re confused about whether you should buy the…