SBI Sends Out A Warning To Prevent An Upcoming Phishing Attack Pan-India
The State Bank of India has issued a warning about possible phishing attack promising people for free COVID-19 testing and it could affect major cities in India.
Highlights of the Story
- SBI has sent out a warning to all the users/account holders in India to beware of an email, text, or social media post promising free COVID-19 testing.
- Cybercriminals reportedly have access to 2 million individuals whom they will contact to carry out the supposed phishing attack.
- Not opening any attachments in any email or links arriving in any email from suspicious sender must be ignored.
India’s biggest lender State Bank of India (SBI) has tweeted and issued a public warning to account holders to be cautious of a cyber attack that could hurt almost 2 million people if not more. The tweet states that as per the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In), cybercriminals might try a phishing attack on a large scale starting June 21st.
According to the warning, cyber criminals claim to have records of over 2 million citizens with their email addresses. They can attempt to send in a phishing email or use social media or other platforms with the subject “Free COVID-19 Testing” prompting users to click on the link. This is where they will urge users to provide personal details thereby taking the phishing attack to its ultimate goal.
The advisory also states that citizens/individuals living in metropolitan cities like Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Delhi, and Ahmedabad could be under cybercriminal’s radar where they will be sending an email with the said subject line and the emails will be coming from firstname.lastname@example.org which appears to be an official email address thereby people will automatically trust on it.
The advisory further adds that the phishing attack is not just limited to sending emails to millions of Indians but it could also arrive through text messages and social media posts asking users to sign up for a free COVID-19 testing pan-India which isn’t a thing.
There are multiple steps that one can take when he/she receives a malicious or suspicious email. First thing, never open attachments in emails from any unknown sources. Next up, if an email adds an URL that looks genuine such as from a bank, it is better to visit their website separately than clicking the link that arrived in the mail. Cybercriminals often use powerful words like free COVID-19 testing, in this case, winning lottery or prizes as a way of luring people to surrender their personal information which allows criminals to carry out phishing attacks without any hassle.
- iQOO smartphones are doing well in the market because they have an understanding of the desires of an Indian consumer, a good smartphone at a reasonable price. Read this article if you are confused about which phone to buy between iQOO Neo 6 and iQOO 7. Also read: New OnePlus Phone Tipped To Launch With…
- If you frequently travel on Delhi Metro, you must have noticed that the internet does not work well during peak hours and when the metro goes through underground tunnels. We tested both Jio and Airtel while travelling from Noida to Gurugram. Although this is not a scientific experiment, we tried to be as fair as…
- iQOO Neo 6, with its price range similar to iQOO 7 and OnePlus Nord 2, directly competes with them. Both of them were the best mid-range smartphones of the previous year. Let’s find out the similarities, differences and which phone among these three at the price of Rs. 30,000 will suit you the most. Also…
- Xiaomi 12 Pro comes with high-end specifications, but while paying Rs. 70,000 a user thinks they should buy an iPhone rather than a Xiaomi phone. They are buying an Apple iPhone 13 or a feature-packed Xiaomi mi 12 Pro in this price range; what would be a better option? Let’s find out! Also read: iPhone…
- iPhone 13 is a charming device with excellent specs, but what if you can get the same hardware in a compact size; enter Apple iPhone 13 Mini. This pocket size performance packed mobile phone is a charmer when it comes to features, looks and usability. So, if you’re confused about whether you should buy the…