Love Crossword? This ages-old and beloved game was probably introduced to you from newspapers, with a fresh puzzle every day. While crossword never gets old, looking for clues and not finding them does get old quickly, and may prompt many to put down the puzzle. Fret not, as this handy listicle by Cashify has a dozen hand-picked choices to make short work of things! Read on for the top 12 best crossword solver apps and websites!
Let’s begin! (This list is not ranked)
1. Crossword Puzzle Free by Redstone Games
This is a free Crossword App rated 4.6 with 107k reviews and 1M+ downloads. If you are looking for a sure-shot Crossword app on the Android play store, this is the one to check out. Redstone Crossword solver is known as the best crossword solver app for a good reason because it delivers the best crossword solving experience on mobile devices, with fresh content and a well-designed UI.
Without the requirement for an internet connection, it lets you solve all crosswords offline. You can download American-style crossword puzzles and store them. If this does not quench your quest for Crosswords, the App also packs in four difficulty levels every week for Easy, Medium, Hard and very hard Crossword puzzles.
Here are some features:
- Smart Look Up: Provides word suggestions for tricky clues.
- Dark Mode: Dark colour scheme for visual comfort to have a great crossword solving experience at night or in low-light settings.
- Multi-word Entry Hints: Options to check whether an answer has two or more words.
- Smart Step: Skip filled cells when navigating through a puzzle
- Lock Completed Words: Lock the correctly guessed words to avoid accidentally erasing them while you assume and erase tangent words.
- Incorrect Puzzle Assistance: When you fill in the puzzle with the wrong cells, this feature sends you a reminder.
- Help: Reveal letters, words or the entire puzzle if you get listless.
- Show Errors: Highlights the incorrect letters to help you reach accurate words faster.
- Clear Errors: Magic button to remove all incorrect letters.
- Offline Mode: No Internet, no problem. Puzzles are also available offline.
Also read: Best BoAt Smartwatches To Buy
This crossword puzzle app provides crossword puzzles from the likes of Brendan Emmett Quigley, a professional Puzzle maker since 1996 and dozens of more.
2. Crossword Clue Solver
This best crossword solver is all about clues, rated 4.2 with 2k+ reviews and 100K+ downloads for Android. It is available for iOS and iPad as well and has a 4.8 rating on Apple App Store.
It is not a simple anagram solver but is prompt enough to provide a quick solution based on the pattern or the clue. Crossword Clue Solver App can easily find related words and synonyms using the Thesaurus dictionary, making it simple, quick and effective. Requires an internet connection to keep and sync the wordlist up to date.
3. Crossword Solver King
Aptly a King in terms of its content volume, Crossword Solver King (Free version) is rated 4.5 on the Google Play store with 3K+ reviews and 100K+ downloads. The Crossword Solver King Pro is for ₹10/$3.99 and rated 4.4. It is also available for iPad, rated 4.7 on the Apple App Store.
Search over 500K words, phrases and synonyms in no time. Simply enter crossword clues to explore the massive built-in Thesaurus or find words with missing letters. Flawlessly solve anagrams and code words with its powerful filters and look up word definitions.
Also read: Call of Duty Mobile: Top 5 BIG Mistakes to Avoid.
How this best Crossword Solver King App does it:
- For Crosswords: Use the question mark (?) to represent a missing letter. Type p????? a???? to find planetarium.
- For Crossword Clues: Use the built-in thesaurus to find related words.
- Crossword Phrases: Search in over 100K built-in phrases. Just use a hyphen to denote a space.
- Anagrams solved instantly: Try ‘dis garlic too’ to find a cardiologist, and you can also find smaller words.
- CODEWORDS: Try ?? 112332 to find cassette and pallette. Utilize the filters to remove letters you have already got.
- BLANK LETTERS: Use + to represent blank letters. Enter scrabb++ to find crabbers and scrabbly.
Even more features:
Definitions: Press hold a word to pull up websites and look for its definition, or just press the search icon next to the word.
Hints & Tips: A quick reminder of all the features. An online user guide to learn how to use the app to crack cryptic crosswords.
In the new thesaurus look-up, enter your crossword clue to find words and phrases with similar meanings. For example, enter energy to find vitality or electricity.
4. Crossword solver – Havos Word games
Are you looking for an App to help you solve English crosswords and other similar word games? The Havos Crossword Solver is your answer. Rated 4.3 with 1k reviews and 100K+ downloads. Also available for iPad, rated 4.2 on the apple app store. The application uses letters you already know to find a list of possible answers.
Some advantages of the Havos Crossword Solver App:
Crossword Solver – Havos is a bank to thousands of Proper Nouns, including full names, professions, nationality, date of birth and death for about 60,000 famous people, plus around 26,000 places. It also contains names and other data of 90,000 Proper noun items. These proper nouns are essential for solving general knowledge clues that constitute 20-25% of crossword clues.
The App provides filters to reduce the list of possible answers. It is required when only a few letters are known. You can even choose the language of the word list. Currently, 36 languages are available in the downloadable dictionaries.
This best Crossword Solver contains five modes for solving Crosswords, Cryptic Crosswords, Codewords, Synonyms, and Anagrams. Codeword mode allows users to specify which letters are already known and which unknown letters have the same codeword, and Cryptic mode contains extra help with examples.
Solves two-word answers too. Real handy when looking for a combination that contains the first and last names of famous people. Plus, it also finds two-word anagrams. This best Crossword Solver App can be played in a portrait or landscape mode. Rotate your device to adjust the display. You can also view answers in multiple columns that optimise the use of screen space, taking full advantage of the tablet size.
The vast dictionary also contains foreign language words often used in some crosswords. Words are available in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian and Latin languages. The App also contains about 150,000 synonyms, using the built-in Thesaurus dictionary to help find the solution from the clue.
All these features are available offline! Other features unique to this Crossword solver are:
- Lightning-fast search engine.
- Search button is not required as possible matches are displayed instantly as you type.
- A comprehensive list of 300,000+words that are split into common and rare lists to help you find the right match.
- View detailed word definitions of the possible answers which require an internet connection.
Dictionaries are in many languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Polish, Hungarian, Czech, Russian, Arabic, Bulgarian, Croatian, Greek, Indonesian, Romanian, Serbian, Serbo-Croatian, Slovak, Slovene, Ukrainian, Turkish, Afrikaans, Albanian, Azeri, Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Catalan, Galician, Tagalog.
This disproportionately large feature list of this app is an accurate descriptor of why this is one of the best crossword solvers out there.
5. Alphacross Crossword.
The Alphacross Crossword is rated 4.6 with 3k reviews and 50K+ downloads The Crossword app for Android with a modern, intuitive interface. Quickly and effortlessly download and play puzzles from:
- American Values Crosswords (AVCX)
- Los Angeles Times
- New York Times (syndicated)
- Universal Daily
- Joseph Crossword
- Sheffer Crossword
- Premier Sunday
Powerful puzzle solving features
- Graphical preview of each crossword puzzle.
- Statistical information, such as total time played, last played time and a gauge that displays squares solved, cheated or incorrect.
- Extensive collection features organised such as in archival, deletion and group selection.
- Automatic background downloads with notifications.
The puzzle solver includes features such as Rebus puzzle support, Flexible and customizable navigation options, smart undo, error highlighting, and smooth, animated scrolling and zooming.
Alphacross can also import puzzles. It has a rating of 4.7 stars and was rated 1.1K times by users.
6. Wordsolver by Mooflower Ltd.
For iPad and Web, Rated 4.7 with 1.1K ratings, the Wordsolver uncovers the finest words for your word games!
- Type in up to 15 letters and let this best crossword solver descramble all the words inside.
- Supports blank tiles (called wildcards), just type in a question mark (?);
- Click on a word to see the definition of the word if the mobile device has a built-in dictionary;
- It also provides optional additive filters for fitting words around pre-existing letters on a game-board.
Ideal for most anagram-based word games, Wordsolver can crack both online word games and the typical back-of-the-newspaper type anagram puzzles in an instant. Input up to 15 letters, and use question marks (?) for the blank tiles. Wordsolver will return a list of every valid word that can be made using those letters.
Quick use guide
Click any word on the results screen to see the definition of that word using the built-in dictionary. Wordsolver also features additional filters so that letter inputs wrap around letters that other players have placed on the board.
Set up the filter mode to “Starts”, “Contains” or “Ends” and enter the alphabets that you want to appear in every result. It comes in handy when attempting to find a place to put letters on a game board where there are already letters on the board!
Their dictionaries cover almost every online word game. Wordsolver has dictionaries for:
- US / Canada (TWL)
- English (SOWPODS)
- WWF (ENABLE)
7. Crossword Solver by Mohamed Fahmy
Featuring an expansive library of more than 5 million-plus Crossword Clues! This Crossword Solver by Mohamed Fahmy lets you search over 500K words, phrases and synonyms, faster than ever. Use powerful filters to find your searches, search word definitions, info, clues, and even other puzzles!
Features and usage:
- Type the crossword puzzle answer below.
- Optionally, input any part of the clue in the “Contains” field.
- Click “clues” to locate other crossword solutions with the exact same clue
- Input the crossword answer and click “Find Clue” to explore crossword clues.
- For more precision you can enter words you know from crossword clue in the field “where the Clue Contains”.
- Input the crossword clue and click “Find Answers” to explore answers to specific crossword puzzle clues.
- Optionally, for improved precision, enter the pattern. For example: if Answer is Delay and you know the first letter D pattern will be D????
- For even more accuracy you can input Answer Length: if Answer is Play so answer length will be 4.
????: the answer is 4 letters, no letters are known.
???d: answer length 4 and ends with “d”.
P??y: answer length 4 starts with “p” and ends with “y”.
?ol? : answer length 4 has “ol” at 2nd, 3rd letters.
By using the crossword-solver.io web-based word-finder, crossword fans can easily enter the clues that are stumping them and let this word-grabber find several different options. There are two primary strategies for getting crossword puzzle help from this app: input the clue and have the crossword-tracker grab answers or try the word-solver to locate the specific word you’re looking for by the letters you have and the size of the space you need to fill in.
Want to become the best crossword solver? Let this app help you find answers to crossword puzzles online, whether you hold a word on the tip of your tongue or just need one more clue. Crossword answers for the day are available so you don’t have to wait for the next day’s newspaper.
- Enter crossword clues to search.
- Explore specific words by the number of alphabets.
- Learn from the “Ultimate Guide” to learn new strategies for solving your daily crossword puzzles.
Crosswordsolver.io’s guide has everything, like where to find crossword games, how to solve crosswords, the most common crossword clues and answers, and more! Enter that tricky crossword mystery clue into this tool and find yourself in crossword heaven!
9. Dictionary.com’s Crossword solver
Stumbling to get that one last solution to a confusing clue? Search thousands of crossword puzzle answers on the Dictionary.com crossword solver. In the website’s games section, you will not just find this best crossword solver, but also word puzzle, scrabble word finder, quizzes and daily crossword puzzles.
Play the daily crossword puzzle from Dictionary.com grow your vocabulary and improve your language skills. Discover new words and practise your problem-solving skill when you play the everyday crossword puzzle. Employ the crossword solver from Dictionary.com to aid in plugging in all the clues.
The themed crosswords on bestcrosswords.com are published daily by a group of skilled contributors. The most recent crossword is ready to play via the link below and you can use the filter menu to access their archive of more than 6,000 puzzles of various themes, difficulty levels and styles (American, British, straight or cryptic). New puzzles are published daily. The puzzles are clever, refined, witty and yet fairly easy to solve. The crosswords are available for free to all users. Start playing today’s theme
- Interactive Puzzles
- Crossword Tournaments
- Printable Crossword Puzzles
Casual interactive puzzles are fun, light and great for those who want to train their memory, enrich their language and maintain mental skills. The section features seven everyday crossword puzzles of increasing difficulty. Start playing today’s batch
Crossword tournaments for players who want to put their solving skills to the test. Participants are scored on speed and accuracy. Seven new puzzles are posted every day, open to play on the same day. Enrol in this month’s tournament.
- Partake in their monthly crossword puzzles contest and put your skills to the test!
- 7 new American style crosswords are published daily there.
- Unlimited attempts across the month to improve your ranking and perhaps make it to the top 5!
Printable crosswords for those who prefer using a pen and paper to do their crosswords. Casual, interactive, and themed crossword puzzles feature in this section, and solutions are available every next day.
11. Wordplays Crossword Solver
The Wordplays Crossword Solver uncovers answers to American crosswords, British crosswords, general knowledge crosswords and other cryptic crossword puzzles. This Crossword Solver answers clues from popular puzzles such as the New York Times Crossword, The Guardian, LA Times Crossword, USA Today Crossword, Daily Celebrity Crossword, Daily Mirror, Coffee Break puzzles, Telegraph crosswords and many other widely available crossword puzzles. Enter the length or pattern for better results. Click the answer to find similar crossword clues.
Features & Usage
Type the crossword puzzle answer into the text field labelled “Enter a Crossword Puzzle Clue”. Clues of a crossword puzzle can be words or phrases of up to 100 characters. Punctuation within a clue can change the meaning, so remember to enter precise punctuation.
You likely have an idea of the crossword answer, and you might even know a few of the letters. The Crossword Solver finds the correct answer by entering a pattern that describes the answer. Use a ‘?’ to represent unknown letters.
The Wordunscrambler Crossword Word solver will take the clue and optionally, an answer pattern to assist you in solving the puzzle. To utilise wildcards, make a pattern, for example, G??? for a 4 letter word starting with G.
How Does This Best Crossword Solver Work?
This crossword puzzle solver is simple on purpose, so you can rapidly solve tough crossword puzzle clues and move on. Just enter the clues and optionally, a pattern, and it will do the rest! Answers include clues from all major publications, such as The NY Times, LA Times, USA Today, The Guardian, Daily Celebrity, and more.
Those were our top 12 picks for the best Crossword Solver apps and websites available today! These were hand-picked and shortlisted on the basis of user reviews, functionality, features, and compatibility with popular crossword puzzles from major publications. Which one did you decide to use, and why? Let us know in the comments below!