4G vs VoLTE: Why Should You Upgrade?
About a year ago, everyone anticipated 4G LTE to be the next big thing in India. But due to a certain Reliance Jio, now the term 4G VoLTE overtook everything else.
However, only a few tech enthusiasts actually know about the 4G VoLTE technology. So we must try to clear your confusions regarding 4G LTE and 4G VoLTE, the key differentiators and which one you should pick.
4G is the fourth generation of data technology for mobile networks. LTE stands for Long Term Evolution. Combined, 4G LTE data technology helps cellular network providers to offer high speed data for every 4G supported device. In fact, a 4G Internet is actually 4 to 5x faster than 3G tech. It is however, only a data-based protocol. Through LTE, you’ll only be able to surf the web i.e. – use data. So, every other services like voice calls, SMS messages will actually not be served through the LTE network (they use 2G/3G technologies instead). This means your device will fall back to a 3G and 2G network whenever you do any such activities.
VoLTE actually stands for Voice Over LTE. What it means is that unlike in 4G LTE, even calls, SMS and web browsing will be served only through data channels. You’ll be using your Internet data plan to make calls, send SMS or browse the web all together.
There are several reasons why using the latest VoLTE technology over the LTE is beneficial. Below a few popular reasons.
- High quality voice calls
- High definition video calls
- Better battery life – since there’s no network switching happening.
- Quick call connection
- Increased VoIP functionality
- Instant switching between voice and video calls
Currently, Jio is the only carrier with a PAN India license for using the 2300 MHz spectrum.
The Broad Difference
With 4G LTE, you can use data to surf the web, and use apps that require Internet connection etc. All the calls and SMS services will be carried through either 2G or the 3G network.
Fortunately, in the case of VoLTE or Voice Over LTE, as the name suggests, all services like browsing, voice calls, SMS etc. will be handled through the data/Internet. This also enables you to make HD voice calls over the web (similar to the WhatsApp voice calling, which make calls over the IP network).
In summary we can say, that you can use LTE without VoLTE but if you carefully examine definition, it is not possible to deliver VoLTE without LTE. VoLTE is an improved, more refined version of 4G LTE.
The disadvantage with 4G LTE is that when you’re travelling to remote places, you will not be able to make calls since there will be no 2G/3G network to fall back to. But this is highly unlikely – regions across the world are more likely to have 2G/3G networks than 4G.
If you’re upgrading to a new phone, make sure it has 4G VoLTE support.
In the current scenario, Reliance Jio is the only cellular provider that is offering the 4G VoLTE services in India. All of the rest of the big players like Airtel, Idea, BSNL etc. are readying themselves to convert to the new technology in the coming days.
- Finally IPL 2020 is around the corner. After all the uncertainties because of this Covid-19 pandemic situation, the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League is ready to hit the ground. It's really good news to the cricket fans from every corner of the globe. People are searching for different streaming platforms to watch IPL online. Here we have provided 5 best platforms to stream IPL from mobile.
- Here are a few tips, tricks and hacks to play Garena Free Fire which will make you forget PubG.
- Sitting at the comfort of home, learn how you can change the battery of your OnePlus smartphone at home.
- If you are searching for a new smartphone, there are various features to look for, that you should consider while purchasing. In terms of internal specifications and exterior designs, smartphones have come a long way. While choosing a smartphone, one of the hard choices to make apart from other specifications is the smartphone body. Here…
- In this era, smartphones have grown to be an essential part of our lives but purchasing a perfect smartphone is a tedious process. Apart from other features, when it comes to buying a smartphone based on its display, a variety of displays are available in the market across a wide range of smartphones and it’s…
- Samsung Galaxy M31s is a new addition to the Monster M-series by Samsung with large battery life and great overall performance.
- The Redmi Note 9 Pro/Pro Max is a premium-looking phone with a good camera and battery.
- Vivo X50 is a mid-range smartphone with an ultimate camera performance.