Table Of Contents
- 14G LTE
- 24G VoLTE
- 3The Broad Difference
- 4Which is preferable: LTE or VoLTE?
About a year ago, everyone anticipated 4G LTE to be the next big thing in India. But due to a certain Reliance Jio, now the term 4G VoLTE overtook everything else.
However, only a few tech enthusiasts actually know about the 4G VoLTE technology. So we must try to clear your confusions regarding 4G LTE and 4G VoLTE, the key differentiators and which one you should pick.
4G is the fourth generation of data technology for mobile networks. LTE stands for Long Term Evolution. Combined, 4G LTE data technology helps cellular network providers to offer high-speed data for every 4G supported device. In fact, a 4G Internet is actually 4 to 5x faster than 3G tech. It is, however, only a data-based protocol. Through LTE, you’ll only be able to surf the web i.e. – use data. So, every other service like voice calls, SMS messages will actually not be served through the LTE network (they use 2G/3G technologies instead). This means your device will fall back to a 3G and 2G network whenever you do any such activities.
VoLTE actually stands for Voice Over LTE. What it means is that unlike in 4G LTE, even calls, SMS and web browsing will be served only through data channels. You’ll be using your Internet data plan to make calls, send SMS or browse the web altogether.
There are several reasons why using the latest VoLTE technology over the LTE is beneficial. Below are a few popular reasons.
- High quality voice calls
- High definition video calls
- Better battery life – since there’s no network switching happening.
- Quick call connection
- Increased VoIP functionality
- Instant switching between voice and video calls
Currently, Jio is the only carrier with a PAN India license for using the 2300 MHz spectrum.
The Broad Difference
With 4G LTE, you can use data to surf the web, use apps that require an Internet connection etc. All the calls and SMS services will be carried through either 2G or the 3G network.
Fortunately, in the case of VoLTE or Voice Over LTE, as the name suggests, all services like browsing, voice calls, SMS etc. will be handled through the data/Internet. This also enables you to make HD voice calls over the web (similar to WhatsApp voice calling, which makes calls over the IP network).
In summary, we can say, that you can use LTE without VoLTE but if you carefully examine the definition, it is not possible to deliver VoLTE without LTE. VoLTE is an improved, more refined version of 4G LTE.
The disadvantage with 4G LTE is that when you’re travelling to remote places, you will not be able to make calls since there will be no 2G/3G network to fall back to. But this is highly unlikely – regions across the world are more likely to have 2G/3G networks than 4G.
If you’re upgrading to a new phone, make sure it has 4G VoLTE support.
In the current scenario, Reliance Jio is the only cellular provider that is offering the 4G VoLTE services in India. All of the rest of the big players like Airtel, Idea, BSNL etc. are readying themselves to convert to the new technology in the coming days.
Which is preferable: LTE or VoLTE?
The acronyms 4G and LTE refer to long-term evolution (LTE), which allows for download rates of up to 100 Mbit/s and upload speeds of up to 50 Mbit/s. According to the preceding description, VoLTE provides several advantages over LTE in regarding internet performance, connection, battery capacity and connection duration, among other things.
- iQOO Neo 6, with its price range similar to iQOO 7 and OnePlus Nord 2, directly competes with them. Both of them were the best mid-range smartphones of the previous year. Let’s find out the similarities, differences and which phone among these three at the price of Rs. 30,000 will suit you the most. Also…
- Xiaomi 12 Pro comes with high-end specifications, but while paying Rs. 70,000 a user thinks they should buy an iPhone rather than a Xiaomi phone. They are buying an Apple iPhone 13 or a feature-packed Xiaomi mi 12 Pro in this price range; what would be a better option? Let’s find out! Also read: iPhone…
- iPhone 13 is a charming device with excellent specs, but what if you can get the same hardware in a compact size; enter Apple iPhone 13 Mini. This pocket size performance packed mobile phone is a charmer when it comes to features, looks and usability. So, if you’re confused about whether you should buy the…
- We all have to agree that the Apple Airpods Pro is an exceptional earbud, and because it is outstanding, it has multiple evil twins, aka fake Airpods. So, have you recently bought an Apple Airpods pro and wondered if the product is original or not? There is a quick and effective way to check its…
- There is probably a thin line between Realme GT Neo 3 and OnePlus 9RT; both mobile phones are spectacular in their price bracket. However, experts like us only notice a few bits here and there. So, to help you out, we have brought a full comparison between the Realme GT Neo 2 VS OnePlus 9RT.…