Environmental Toll Of e-Waste & How To Responsibly Dispose of Smartphone Batteries!
Phone batteries may appear small in size, but they hold a lot of toxic chemicals that are hazardous to the environment and health. They can harm the soil in which they are buried and can even pollute the air. Disposing of them in the correct ways is a necessity, and here we discuss the best way to dispose of your smartphone’s battery, the Right way.
Highlights of the Story
- Phone batteries are incredibly hazardous for the environment and our health.
- It is crucial to dispose of the phone batteries in the right manner.
- Any carelessness in this task can lead to dangerous consequences.
It is easy to toss your old battery into the garbage or throwing away your smartphone in the dump when it becomes of no use. But do you know how harmful it actually is for you, your family, and everyone around?
Smartphone batteries contain harmful and toxic elements that can damage the air, soil, and every other aspect of the environment. It ultimately affects us and every other living being as well. Let us have a look at these hazardous consequences in detail.
Environmental Hazards of these batteries
1. Spreads pollution
Old phone batteries are one of the leading factors that cause environmental pollution-. The batteries contain toxic chemicals like lithium, and any leakage of these chemicals is dangerous. Almost every kind of pollution such as air pollution, water pollution, land pollution and so on can be caused because of the phone batteries.
2. Threat to wildlife
There have been cases reported all over the world wherein fishes were found dead because of the toxic elements released in the water from batteries. Not only for fishes but birds and other aspects of wildlife have already suffered a lot and are still suffering because of the wrong disposal of batteries.
3. Food production and human health
The wrong disposal of phone batteries also affects us through our food consumption. It happens when the chemicals of the batteries end up mixing into the soil that later harms the food production and makes it hazardous for our health.
There are a lot of other ways through which humans can come in contact with the toxicity of phone batteries. Cases where the sanitization workers were affected while collecting garbage that included wrong battery disposal have happened before and are still happening. The only way to stop it is through correct disposal.
Also Read: How To Save Battery Life On iPhone!
4. Long term impact
As a matter of fact, only 4-5% of lithium batteries are correctly recycled from the tons of lithium batteries created every year. You can imagine the harm that is being caused every year to our mother earth from these estimates.
The batteries are capable of converting their chemical energy into electrical energy over time. For making this happen, chemicals like lithium, mercury, lead etcetera are added into them, and these chemicals are utterly dangerous.
Once the battery breaks down and these chemicals get leaked, then the harm to the environment is caused for at least ten years. The effect of these batteries in the environment is chronic and terrible. These were some of the major harms, but the list is not limited to these points. There are many more aspects in which the phone batteries are harming us and our environment.
Also Read: Top 10 Non-Chinese Smartphones Of All Time!
Why opt for disposing of?
The answer to this is crystal clear that it must be opted to protect and save the environment and ourselves. All these toxicity and hazards because of phone batteries can be reduced and eventually stopped by opting for the correct ways for the disposal of phone batteries.
You disposing of batteries in the correct manner can save the lives of the various creatures living in our environment. And not just the environment and wildlife, but the correct ways of disposing batteries are beneficial for all of us.
Also Read: Why Is My Phone’s Battery Draining So Fast?
How to responsibly Dispose of Smartphone Batteries?
Fortunately, disposing and recycling the old phone batteries with the correct measures is an easy task to perform. Read the following points to know How to responsibly Dispose of Smartphone Batteries:
Also read: Top Camera Smartphones
1. Local electronic waste center
An effortless and simple way of disposing of the old batteries correctly is to take them to a local electronic waste center. You can search for these centers online and quickly get information about a lot of them and the ones located near you. You can also easily contact your city’s hazardous material disposal center for details, locations, and any other information you want regarding the old batteries and its disposal.
2. Electronic repair shop
If you are unable to find a local electronic waste center, then try visiting our contacting any electronic repair shop or electronic supply shop near you. These shops usually have the relevant information and disposal facilities that will help you in disposing of the old batteries rightfully.
Also, these shops might have an e-waste drop-in box where you can voluntarily drop your e-waste including your old gadgets and batteries and the concerned authorities will dispose the batteries correctly.
3. Check online
Even though the chances are rare, but in case you still cannot find the right place for the disposal of the old batteries, then write your query online and search for contact numbers or details regarding the correct ways for disposing of old batteries in your city. You will find numerous contacts and institutions that will help you in resolving this issue.
There are many startups that are doing this business wherein they collect your e-waste from your doorstep and some of those startups even pay you some money in return for those e-waste products.
Precautions to take while disposing of batteries
There are certain precautions that you must take when you notice a swollen battery or take out the old phone’s battery. These precautions are as follows:
1. Avoid punching or pushing
When removing a battery, always remember not to have a tight grip on it. Make sure that you do not punch it or push it in any manner while doing the task. Batteries are delicate and can get punctured very easily, even a small force can break the batteries.
2. Store in a cool container
Do not leave the battery in the open once you can take it out. It is best to keep the battery in a cool container as it will help the battery from getting punctured and for other safety purposes.
3. Get professional help
If you are not sure whether you will be able to take out the battery, then it is better to get professional help. You can contact any electronic repair store for this purpose, and they will instantly provide you with expert and professional help.
4. Never charge a swollen battery
You must never charge a swollen battery. Just stop using the battery and charging it the moment you notice your phone battery getting swollen. Charging a swollen battery can lead to absolutely dangerous consequences, such as an explosion.
5. Don’t try recycling on your own
There is no need to become a self expert and do experiments with the battery on your own. You should leave it to professionals as there is no need for you to interfere. Your interference can actually create more problems and dangers.
Also read: Smartphone reviews
- Finally IPL 2020 is around the corner. After all the uncertainties because of this Covid-19 pandemic situation, the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League is ready to hit the ground. It's really good news to the cricket fans from every corner of the globe. People are searching for different streaming platforms to watch IPL online. Here we have provided 5 best platforms to stream IPL from mobile.
- Here are a few tips, tricks and hacks to play Garena Free Fire which will make you forget PubG.
- Sitting at the comfort of home, learn how you can change the battery of your OnePlus smartphone at home.
- If you are searching for a new smartphone, there are various features to look for, that you should consider while purchasing. In terms of internal specifications and exterior designs, smartphones have come a long way. While choosing a smartphone, one of the hard choices to make apart from other specifications is the smartphone body. Here…
- In this era, smartphones have grown to be an essential part of our lives but purchasing a perfect smartphone is a tedious process. Apart from other features, when it comes to buying a smartphone based on its display, a variety of displays are available in the market across a wide range of smartphones and it’s…
- Samsung Galaxy M31s is a new addition to the Monster M-series by Samsung with large battery life and great overall performance.
- The Redmi Note 9 Pro/Pro Max is a premium-looking phone with a good camera and battery.
- Vivo X50 is a mid-range smartphone with an ultimate camera performance.