How To Jailbreak Your iPhone: Step-by-Step Guide
With Apple putting so many restrictions on your iPhone and it becomes almost impossible to modify some aspects of the look and feel of your device. Also, unlike Android, you cannot install any third party apps as well. And to uncover the full potential of your iPhone you need to Jailbreak your iPhone. Jailbreaking will let you use any app or tweak on your smartphone freely. Here we discuss a step-by-step guide on jailbreaking techniques that you need to learn in order to use your iPhone without limitation.
Table Of Contents
- 1What is Jailbreaking?
- 2How to Jailbreak Your iPhone?
Highlights of the Story
- Jailbreaking your iPhone can help you unleash the full potential of your device and let you install third-party apps.
- Here we talk about Jailbreaking, its types, and the process of Jailbreaking your iPhone.
- Find out how to jailbreak your iPhone using tools such as Unc0ver, Checkra1, Electra, Yalu, etc.
This is one of the most common questions among iPhone users, “how to jailbreak your iPhone?” Apple as a company has always focussed on security and data privacy and this has to lead to making iOS more secure than ever. But this comes with the cost of taking away the freedom of modifying the iOS with any third-party apps or tools. Apple provides too many limitations on iOS devices and there is no other way you can get freedom back without jailbreaking.
The thing is, it’s an easy process, and with the right tutorial and simple steps, you can jailbreak your iPhone alone without anyone’s help. You can do anything you want with a jailbroken iPhone and use it like it’s in your complete possession. Here in this post, we are going to show you exactly how to Jailbreak your iPhone so that you can have full-on control over your iPhone by minimizing restrictions.
Also read: Apple Mobile Price List In India
What is Jailbreaking?
Generally, Apple does not let you run third-party/unrecognized software or unsigned codes that are not officially allowed by the company. It results in losing control over your own smartphone. Unlike Android smartphones, you cannot use whatever app you want on your iPhone device regardless of its version. But jailbreaking your iPhone removes all the restrictions from your device, and you can do whatever you want; that too includes installing third-party software programs, modifying the user interface, and enjoying these services.
Also Read: How To Record Calls On iPhone!
Jailbreaking your iPhone means installing any theme or application you want to enhance the look of your iPhone as well as its functionality. Basically, jailbreaking requires you to install an application on your iOS device that will let you run jailbreak apps, themes, and tweaks on your iPhone. So, if you can’t find your favourite app or theme on Apple Store, then you can learn how to jailbreak your iPhone to do the trick.
If you want to install Jailbreak apps on your smartphone, you can visit Cydia or any trusted App Store. But you should also know that there are a few different types of jailbreaking. Before you decide to jailbreak your iPhone device, we want you to check out the following section.
Types of Jailbreaking
Usually, there are four different types of jailbreak processes for iOS devices.
Tethered: You can try tethered-jailbreak your iPhone temporarily at the time of the single boot. If you switch off your phone and restart it again, you will need to jailbreak your phone again using your PC. And the process will require you to use the boot tethered feature of a related tool. But if you don’t re-jailbreak your iPhone again, it will be stuck in the Recovery Mode.
semi-tethered Jailbreak: During this jailbreak process, your iPhone will boot without a patched kernel, which won’t be able to run any modified code, and it nearly does not work in tweaking or jailbreaking apps. You will have to use any jailbreak software to go with the patched kernel.
Untethered Jailbreak: In the Untethered jailbreak, you will be able to restart your phone, but the kernel will stay patched, and you can still use the jailbroken version even after restarting your device.
semi-untethered Jailbreak: It is somewhat similar to the previous jailbreaking process, but your iPhone will remain not-jailbroken after a reboot. semi-untethered jailbreak will let you jailbreak your phone using an app on your device only, and you won’t require an additional computer to do the method.
Also Read: How To Voice Tweet On Your iPhone!
How to Jailbreak Your iPhone?
If you have decided to jailbreak your phone, this section will help you. However, please check out the version of your iPhone and follow the steps carefully to avoid any unnecessary hassles.
- Make sure to backup your data before starting the process. In case things go south you should have backup of your data.
- This process although is completely safe, but can brick your device i.e your device could go completely dead and would be as good as a brick in case the process fails. Contact customer care in case you are facing any issues with the device
- Once you have Jailbroken your iPhone, the warranty of your iPhone is void now. In case you wish to visit the service center for any support, you need to remove jailbreak from your device to claim the warranty.
- Last but not the least, this guide is for informational purposes and we at Cashify won’t be responsible for any data or device loss.
Method 1: Use Uncover Jailbreak
To use Unc0ver for jailbreaking, you need to make sure that your iPhone version is up-to-date. You can check out your version from https://unc0ver.dev on the Compatible page then follow the below steps to jailbreak your iPhone using Mac.
Unc0ver is supported in the below iPhone models and iOS versions-
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 11 – iOS 12.4.1
- iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE (2016) with iOS 11 – iOS 13.5
- iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 11 – iOS 13.5
- iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus with iOS 11 – iOS 13.5
- iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR with iOS 13.5.1, iOS 13.6, iOS 13.6.1
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2020) with iOS 13.5.1, iOS 13.6, iOS 13.6.1
Follow the below steps now to jailbreak your iPhone-
Step 1: Download and install AltStore on your Mac from https://altstore.io
Step 2: Open the AltStore app by double-clicking on its icon from your Desktop
Step 3: Click on the AltServer icon and select the select Install Mail Plugin option
Step 4: Enable AltPlugin from the Mail app application folder
Step 5: Now connect your iPhone with your Mac computer using a USB drive
Step 6: Then click on the AltStore icon and choose your iPhone
Step 7: Sign in with your Apple ID and click on the Install button
Step 8: Go to Device management from Settings>General, click on your Apple ID, and tap on Trust twice to install Unc0ver on your iPhone.
Step 9: Visit https://unc0ver.dev from a web browser on your iPhone and download the v5.3.1 version of Unc0ver. Then install it on your iPhone.
Step 10: Open Unc0ver on your iPhone and click on the blue Jailbreak button
Step 11: Tap, OK; when the process is complete, it will reboot your device. If it does not, you do it yourself.
Step 12: Run the Jailbreak tool once again in Unc0ver
Step 13: Click on Jailbreak and tap, OK.
Method 2: Use Checkra1n Jailbreak
If the Unc0ver jailbreaking technique does not work, then Checkra1n may. Look at this section to find out how to jailbreak your iPhone using Checkra1N.
Again, make sure that your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Since Checkra1 is a semi-untethered jailbreaking process, you need to reboot your iPhone to use the technique. Then you will require an additional Mac or Linux device to complete the jailbreaking.
Chekra1n is supported by the below version of iOS and iPhone model:
- iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus with iOS 12.3 – iOS 13.7
Now, follow the steps below to jailbreak your iPhone using Checkra1n-
Step 1: Visit https://checkra.in/releases/0.11.0-beta from your Mac web browser
Step 2: Click on Download for MacOS or Linux if you are using one
Step 3: Install it on your computer using the installation file and following the instructions
Step 4: Connect your iPhone with the Mac
Step 5: When you open Checkra1n on your Mac, make sure your iPhone is being detected by the semi-untethered jailbreaking app
Step 6: Click on the Start button to begin the jailbreak process
Step 7: Click on Options and check the “Allow untested iOS/iPadOS/tvOS versions” point
Step 8: Click Next to send your iPhone to the recovery mode
Step 9: Again, click Start
Step 10: Put your device in the DFU mode by following the instructions
Step 11: Release the power button and continue to hold the home button on your iPhone
Step 12: After this, when you open Checkra1 on your iPhone, it will help you install Cydia to use tweaks and jailbreak apps.
However, if you’re using one of these below iPhone models that is running with the below-mentioned iOS version, you must use Electra Jailbreak to have full control of your iPhone.
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 11 – iOS 11.4.1
- iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE (2016) with iOS 11 – iOS 11.4.1
- iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 11- iOS 11.4.1
In the case of old models of iPhone, running with old iOS versions, use Yalu jailbreak. Check the below points to learn about the supported iPhone models and versions for this software.
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 10 – iOS 10.3.4
- iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE (2016) with iOS 10 – iOS 10.3.4
- iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 10 – iOS 10.3.4
Also Read: iPhone 12 Mini vs iPhone SE
Does Jailbreaking Void My iPhone’s Warranty?
If you read Apple’s support document, you will see that they have stated that they may deny the required services for an iPhone, which has installed any kind of unauthorized software. That means if you jailbreak your iPhone, you may not get support or a warranty from Apple. Still, if the warranty is more important in your case than jailbreaking, you can restore the device to its factory settings to remove the traces of jailbreaks. Hence, you can avoid voiding your iPhone’s warranty.
Also Read: 11 Camera Tips And Tricks For iPhone
Is Jailbreaking iPhone Legal?
The U.S. Library of Congress has made jailbreaking your iPhone, tablet, smartTV, etc., legal by withdrawing the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) from these devices. Therefore, you can change your software without trying to breach the copyright. Still, if you take advantage of jailbreaking by streaming torrents and movies illegally, you will break the law and be charged for copyright issues.
- The Nothing Phone 1 Vs OnePlus 9RT can both be compared here. You may contrast the statistics and distinctive features of Nothing Phone 1 with the OnePlus 9RT 5G. This article might clarify how the OnePlus 9RT 5G and Nothing Phone 1 compare and which one you should pick. However, the price difference between the OnePlus…
- This article will compare the Nothing Phone 1 Vs OnePlus 9 RT dedicated speed test. Both of these phones come within the same price range. However, the processors in both phones are different. Nothing Phone 1 is powered by the upper mid-range Snapdragon Qualcomm 778G+ chipset, whereas the OnePlus 9 RT comes with the Snapdragon…
- We’ll compare the speeds of the Nothing Phone 1 Vs Samsung S20 FE smartphones. Both phones are in the same range in terms of pricing. Additionally, the Nothing Phone 1 debuted recently, and the Samsung S20 FE was introduced two years ago. Furthermore, we’ll discuss the speed test between these two smartphones in this post,…
- The Oppo Reno 8 Pro is an amazing phone right now in the market by Oppo that grabs the attention of many customers in India with its flagship-grade cameras. The device comes with outstanding features, including its classy and premium look. Furthermore, it is made with a high-quality chassis and a reliable MediaTek chipset. However, would that…
- The big question for most of us is to know about the best OxygenOS 12 features on the OnePlus 9RT. Well, it’s here! As per reports, OxygenOS 12 is available for OnePlus 9RT users to download based on Android 12. With this update, users can access several apps quickly. Users will get several features from ColorOS…