How To Permanently Delete Telegram Account Using Android, iPhone Or PC
Telegram allows you to deactivate your account and delete all your chats and data in case you decide to move to another messaging platform. What to keep in mind is that you will lose all your chat messages, groups channels, photos and media files permanently.
Table Of Contents
- 1How To Permanently Delete Telegram Account
Highlights of the Story
- Telegram is a messaging application that offers you a lot of features that apps like WhatsApp does not
- But like any other social media platform Telegram has also been a victim of data leaks and user privacy issues
- If you decide to switch to any other messaging app here are a few ways through which you can delete your Telegram account
How To Permanently Delete Telegram Account
There are multiple different ways to delete your telegram account. But one thing you should know beforehand is that once deleted you cannot restore your account. All your important data like chats, groups, contact lists, etc will also be deleted permanently. If you change your mind you can install the Telegram app again but you’ll have to create a new account from scratch.
Method 1: How to delete Telegram account permanently using your Android phone
Self-destruct is one of the features that Telegram includes which automatically disables your account after a certain period of inactivity. By default, that period is set for six months but you can change it to a shorter period of time like three months or even one month. Here’s how you can enable it and disable your Telegram account using your Android smartphone:
- Log into your Telegram app on your phone and go to ‘Settings’
- Next tap on ‘Privacy and Security‘
- Now scroll down and you’ll find the ‘Delete My Account if I’m Away For’ and you can change that any duration you desire.
- If you don’t use your Telegram app for that period the platform will automatically remove your account as well as all your data including conversations, contact lists, groups, and much more.
The self-destruct option is helpful in case you change your mind and decide you want to use the app. In that case, the self-destruct sequence will automatically reset. If you don’t want to wait and delete your account immediately there’s also a way discussed in Method 3.
Method 2: How to delete Telegram account permanently from your iPhone
To Delete your Telegram account permanently using your iPhone steps are pretty much the same as the Android phone. First, you have to deactivate your account and this can be done through the following steps
- Open your Telegram app in your iPhone and go to ‘Settings’
- There you will find ‘Privacy and Security
- You have to scroll down and you will find ‘If Away for’ option
- You can select the duration you desire which is available up to 12 months.
If your Telegram account remains can be used for this duration then Telegram will automatically delete all your messages contacts groups and other such data permanently.
Method 3: Delete your Telegram account manually using Web
Sadly deleting your Telegram account immediately and not waiting for the bare minimum one month wait time as discussed in Method 1 &2 above is not possible using a smartphone. But you can delete your account immediately from the web platform. To delete your Telegram account you can follow these steps;
- First, ensure that you have the Telegram app installed on your phone as the platform will send you a confirmation code.
- Once you have installed and logged in to your account your can now head over to Telegram’s Deactivation page from your web browser.
- Here you have to type the phone number associated with your Telegram account. Add the country code before the number and then press Next.
- Telegram will send you a web login code on the mobile app. And enter the code in the Confirmaiton Code screen and click on ‘Sign In‘.
- Now click on ‘Delete Account’ from ‘Telegram Core’ section and you can also enter the reason for account deletion in the text box below that says ‘Why are you leaving‘ and now click on “Delete My Account”
- On the popup again click on “Yes, delete my account”.
With all the above steps done your Telegram account will be deleted and you can uninstall the app from your device.
Can you recover your data once your account is deleted?
After deleting your account from Telegram you won’t be able to retrieve any of your associated data like chat history, group, or contacts. If you wish to use Telegram again you will have to create a new account with your phone number. Once deleted your old account will be disabled forever and you won’t be able to access any data associated with it.
Also Read: How To Use Telegram Web On Any Browser?
Exporting Telegram Data
Before you delete your telegram account and your data is deleted permanently you can export your data like chats photos and other media from the Telegram web platform. You did you will be downloaded in form of JSON or HTML. Here are the steps of how are you can export your Telegram data
- You have to open your Telegram desktop and select ‘Settings’
- Then you can go to ‘Advanced’ > ‘Data and storage’ you will find the ‘Export Telegram data’ option
- Here you can select all the data that you want to export like contact lists, chats, groups, photos, and other such things
- Once you have selected everything you want to export you can select the download location and the format in which you want to download all your data
- When the download is complete you can see all your Telegram data offline
What Happens When You Delete Your Telegram Account
Now, before you delete the account, you must understand the consequences or what deleting the account really does. As the platform says, when deleted, it gets rid of all of your chats and data. Your account is terminated permanently and your messages, as well as contacts, are deleted beyond recovering. Simply put, it is gone!
With respect to groups, you are a part of Telegram, they will continue to function normally even when you delete the Telegram account. But if you are an admin of the said group, Telegram will randomly assign an active member as the new admin.
Also Read: Amazing Smartphone Upgrades For Realme 5i
Hope this guide helps you delete your Telegram account. If you are looking for more alternatives that are secure than Telegram, you can try WhatsApp, Signal, and more.
- Today, we will be talking about the Xiaomi Redmi Note 10T 5G which is the first 5G phone offered by Redmi. However, is this a complete budget package? We will explore the features of this phone to know the answer to this question. Let us start with the design of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 10T…
- OxygenOS has been my favourite Android skin so far since its initial introduction in 2015. It’s been more than 6 years now and I can’t get around with the fact that it will soon be gone. By the next iteration of Android, we might not see OxygenOS, well maybe the name might still survive, but…
- We are going to talk about 5 reasons to buy Tecno Camon 18 in our first impressions, which makes it a great buy for its price point.
- We are going to talk about the 5 reasons why you should buy OnePlus 9R in 2022 at an effective price of Rs 36,999
- There are some things you can do from your end to prevent OnePlus Nord 2 from overheating more than it shouldn’t.