Many people out there want to know the steps on how to uninstall Microsoft Edge. Even though the rebuilt Chromium version of Edge is way better than its previous versions and is an excellent alternative to Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, but no one wants to have that constant pop-up making Edge their default web browser.
Since Microsoft Edge comes blended with Windows-based devices, removing it is a tad bit of a challenge. You may have witnessed that Edge automatically pops open when you click on some links even though you have other web browsers for that. Microsoft can really push you into using their browser for net surfing, and we have found a solution for that.
This article will tell you how to uninstall Edge from Microsoft. In Microsoft, the removal process starts through commands in the Command Prompt Tab, and we will teach you the process of uninstalling the Edge from Windows.
Also Read: 10 Best Mobile Phones Under 15000 In India May 2022
Uninstalling Microsoft Edge from Windows
To remove Microsoft Edge from Windows 10/11 depends on how you got the application in your system. If you downloaded the Edge yourself with the help of the Installer file or installed the Beta version, then there is a good chance of uninstalling the Edge from your system’s settings.
But if you got your Microsoft Edge through the Windows rolled out updates, the removal process is a bit complicated as you will have to use the Command Prompt tab to uninstall Edge from your system.
Do not worry in either case, as we will guide you step by step to uninstall Edge from the system’s Settings or through the help of Command Prompt. Many Windows users tend to complain that Edge gets itself reinstalled through the updates that Microsoft rolls out, so we have stated how to ensure that Edge does not reinstall itself through the updates by Microsoft in the future.
Route No. 1 to remove Edge with the help of the system’s Settings
Let us assume that you have Edge manually installed in the system. In such a scenario, we would suggest you go through the below steps-
- 1: Click on the Microsoft Logo on the bottom left corner of your system’s screen, which will open up the Start Menu.
- 2: Navigate to the Settings, open the Apps tab, and click on Apps and features.
- 3: Now, you will be able to see the apps that are installed on your system. Now find out Microsoft Edge in the list and click on it.
- 4: You will see two options when you click on Microsoft Edge, one will be to Modify, and the other will be to Uninstall. Click on the Uninstall option, and you will be able to delete the Microsft Edge this way. If you had installed the Beta version, you would get Uninstall Program button instead of Uninstall button, so do not get baffled. Click on the Uninstall Program button.
After completing the overhead stages, you will see that the Microsoft Edge will be uninstalled from your system.
Also Read: Realme Launches C15 Qualcomm Edition In India
Route No.2 to remove Edge with the help of the Command Prompt
If your Edge came via a Windows update, then the Uninstall button will not be a way to remove Edge from your system. You will have to use the Command Prompt to remove Microsoft Edge from the system in such a case.
Obey the below actions to uninstall Microsoft Edge with the help of a Command Prompt:
- 1: Start the Microsoft Edge on your system and click on the three-dot menu logo that you will find on the right top corner of your screen. From the menu, choose the ‘Help and Feedback’ option.
- 2: In the ‘Help and Feedback option, you will find an ‘About Microsoft Edge’ button to click, so you click on it, and you will be able to see the version number of the Edge that is installed in your system. Jot down the version number as you will require it in the next few steps.
- 3: Now, in the next stage, you need to type ‘cmd’ in the search box and choose the Command Prompt app; then, you need to select Run and operate it as an administrator.
- 4: After the Command Prompt is opened in your system. Kindly copy the command we have stated below, paste the below command in the Command Prompt tab, and hit enter. You need to replace the xxx with the version number of the Microsoft Edge that you jotted down in one of the earlier steps.
- 5: Once the command runs, it will guide you to the Edge Installer folder. Once you are in that folder, copy and paste the command stated below.
setup.exe –uninstall –system-level –verbose-logging –force-uninstall
- 6: You will see a pop-up that will ask, “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?”. Click on Yes to completely uninstall Microsoft Edge from your system.
You will notice that the Microsoft Edge shortcut will vanish from your system’s Desktop and also from your system’s Taskbar. Many users still may see the Microsoft Edge logo, but when they click on it, the application shows no response. It is more of a dummy file once that remains to post your uninstallation. If you want to get that dummy file also removed from your system, just simply restart your system. The logo of Edge will not be there anymore.
Also read: Earphone Buying Guide: Which Features To Consider
Route No.3 to ensure that Microsoft Edge doesn’t get reinstalled via updates in future
Microsoft will always push for Edge to be used as its default browser. Even if you did uninstall the Edge, there is still a scope of it crawling back in your system by the Windows updates. We will tell you the steps to ensure that Edge doesn’t get reinstalled by Windows updates-
- 1: Punch in ‘regedit’ in your Search Box to open the Registry Editor. Choose the Registry Editor app and then run it as an administrator.
- 2: Copy and paste the command stated below in the address bar of the Registry Editor app.
- 3: Right-click on the Microsoft Folder, click on ‘New,’ and click on ‘Key.’ Name the Key as ‘EdgeUpdate.’
- 4: After the EdgeUpdate Key is generated, you need to right-click on it. Now, you will need to click on the ‘New’ option and make a new DWORD (32-bit). Name it as ‘DoNotUpdateToEdgeWithChromium’.
- 5: Once you have created the new DWORD (32-bit), you must double-click on this value to open it. Under the ‘Value Data’, you need to enter ‘1’ and tap on ‘Ok’ to save that value. Now close the Registry Editor application.
After following all the steps above, you will never have to worry about Microsoft Edge getting installed via Windows updates. If you change your mind about Edge and want it to be there in your system. Follow the steps of Route No.3 again and modify the DWORD value to ‘0’.
We hope that all the routes we stated help you get rid of Microsoft Edge for good. Now, you won’t have to keep seeing that pop-up to make Edge as your default browser.
Also read: Explained: Sensors in smartwatch
Thinking about wanting a new mobile? Cashify offers the service at your doorstep. Thus, sell your phone online or recycle your phone in Cashify.