Table Of Contents
- 1What does the GoodWill ransomware do?
Highlights of the Story
- GoodWill ransomware encourages victims to support anybody who needs urgent medical care and provide clothing and pizza to youngsters.
- GoodWill ransomware encrypts documents, photographs, movies, databases, and other vital items.
- Ransomware operators evaluate victims’ media files and then distribute a decryption kit.
As with earlier ransomware, this new one causes headaches for its victims in India, reports claim. This ransomware, on the other hand, has a more altruistic motive. According to digital risk management company CloudSEK, the GoodWill ransomware forces victims to donate clothing to the homeless. It provides money to those who can’t afford medical care, and feed children at pizza parlours. ‘GoodWill ransomware,’ according to the firm, may cause data loss, both temporary and permanent.
Researchers from CloudSEK discovered GoodWill malware in March 2022. In a report, ClouSEK said that the company’s activities aim to promote social fairness rather than traditional commercial motives.
What does the GoodWill ransomware do?
As soon as the GoodWill ransomware activates, it locks up the victim’s data and prevents them from accessing it without a decryption key. Apparently, in return for the decryption key, the actors demand that their victims do three social actions.
To name just a few, you could take five less fortunate children to a local Domino’s or KFC for a treat, record the experience and share it on social media, donate new clothes to the homeless, record the event and share it on social media, and offer financial support to those in need of immediate medical attention (but cannot afford it) by bringing them to a nearby hospital.
It then encourages victims to post on social media about “how you turned yourself into a compassionate human being by being the victim of a ransomware called GoodWill” if the tasks are completed. Next, the ransomware operators check the media files and social media postings that the victims have posted.
The report stated that they then provide a comprehensive decryption kit that includes the primary decryption program, password file, and a video lesson on how to retrieve all crucial data.
- Choosing a new air conditioner for your house can be confusing when you have several options available like spilt, windows, tower and Cassette air conditioners. The options could seem daunting with the variety of air conditioners available. Also, you can even be under pressure to select a new system, depending on your circumstances. However, if…
- iQOO smartphones are doing well in the market because they have an understanding of the desires of an Indian consumer, a good smartphone at a reasonable price. Read this article if you are confused about which phone to buy between iQOO Neo 6 and iQOO 7. Also read: New OnePlus Phone Tipped To Launch With…
- If you frequently travel on Delhi Metro, you must have noticed that the internet does not work well during peak hours and when the metro goes through underground tunnels. We tested both Jio and Airtel while travelling from Noida to Gurugram. Although this is not a scientific experiment, we tried to be as fair as…
- iQOO Neo 6, with its price range similar to iQOO 7 and OnePlus Nord 2, directly competes with them. Both of them were the best mid-range smartphones of the previous year. Let’s find out the similarities, differences and which phone among these three at the price of Rs. 30,000 will suit you the most. Also…
- Xiaomi 12 Pro comes with high-end specifications, but while paying Rs. 70,000 a user thinks they should buy an iPhone rather than a Xiaomi phone. They are buying an Apple iPhone 13 or a feature-packed Xiaomi mi 12 Pro in this price range; what would be a better option? Let’s find out! Also read: iPhone…