Table Of Contents
- 1The New Update
Highlights of the Story
- Google has seemingly rolled out a new feature ‘Disable 2G’.
- 2G’s flaws are regularly exploited for surveillance purposes.
- Apple has not spoken about or offered such a feature on its iOS software platform yet.
Google has seemingly rolled out a new feature ‘Disable 2G’ that allows users on new generation Android smartphones to disable any 2G network connectivity. However, the feature is available in select Android devices, including the new generation Pixel phones and the latest Samsung smartphones as well, according to a report by privacy watchdog, Electronic Frontier Foundation. Read more to know!
The New Update
Besides, the move is welcomed by the privacy community. The move has been a much-required one as vulnerabilities of the 2G network. They are exploited by scammers for impersonating network operators. Furthermore, they used to do this to potentially steal sensitive data. At the heart of this is the use of weak encryption standards of 2G. According to reports, hackers can intercept the communication between a 2G tower and a device very easily.
Furthermore, the lack of cell tower authentication in 2G networks means that cell site impersonators can mimic a network operator to gain access to a user’s network communications. Thereby intercepting messages and stealing potentially sensitive data. In return, users will likely get no service in areas where network blackouts occur.
Despite all the progress, India still has pockets where 4G connectivity is far from ubiquitous. The latter, which is the latest generation of connectivity available in India. Introduced new security standards that patched many of 2G gaping security gaffes. 2G’s flaws are regularly exploited for surveillance purposes. Google’s new feature will now help protect against the same.
Moreover, users can simply access their network settings on a new Android phone, and switch off the toggle in the ‘Allow 2G’ field. However, Apple has not spoken about or offered such a feature on its iOS software platform yet.
What do think of this move of Google? Let us know in the comments below.
Stay tuned with Cashify for more such Tech News.
- iQOO smartphones are doing well in the market because they have an understanding of the desires of an Indian consumer, a good smartphone at a reasonable price. Read this article if you are confused about which phone to buy between iQOO Neo 6 and iQOO 7. Also read: New OnePlus Phone Tipped To Launch With…
- If you frequently travel on Delhi Metro, you must have noticed that the internet does not work well during peak hours and when the metro goes through underground tunnels. We tested both Jio and Airtel while travelling from Noida to Gurugram. Although this is not a scientific experiment, we tried to be as fair as…
- iQOO Neo 6, with its price range similar to iQOO 7 and OnePlus Nord 2, directly competes with them. Both of them were the best mid-range smartphones of the previous year. Let’s find out the similarities, differences and which phone among these three at the price of Rs. 30,000 will suit you the most. Also…
- Xiaomi 12 Pro comes with high-end specifications, but while paying Rs. 70,000 a user thinks they should buy an iPhone rather than a Xiaomi phone. They are buying an Apple iPhone 13 or a feature-packed Xiaomi mi 12 Pro in this price range; what would be a better option? Let’s find out! Also read: iPhone…
- iPhone 13 is a charming device with excellent specs, but what if you can get the same hardware in a compact size; enter Apple iPhone 13 Mini. This pocket size performance packed mobile phone is a charmer when it comes to features, looks and usability. So, if you’re confused about whether you should buy the…