After almost a year of Samsung releasing their massively successful Galaxy S8 and S8+ phones and some frustrating months of leaks and discussions later, we finally have the Galaxy S9 and S9+. Despite its features, is the hype worth the exorbitant launch price tag of whopping Rs. 59,400 for a 256 GB version? With more than 4 colour variants to choose from, ‘Midnight Black’ is our favourite, the Galaxy S9 comes with a 12 MP Single Rear camera with Dual Aperture lens including features such as Super Slow-motion capture, AR Emojis, optical image stabilisation including a rear LED Flash and an 8 MP front camera.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Price in India
In India, Samsung Galaxy S9 price starts from ₹ 37,900. This smartphone is available in three other variants like 4GB + 128GB , 4GB + 256GB and also 6GB RAM + 64GB Storage. Samsung Galaxy S9 is a device with three colour variants to choose from including Coral Blue, Lilac Purple, Midnight Black, and Titanium Grey. Samsung Galaxy S9 still one of the best smartphones from the last few years that customers can still pick up if they want. Moreover, the price is lower than its successors in the Galaxy S10 and Galaxy S20 series.
The improved specifications of the 12 MP rear camera with dual aperture lens give a very good overall experience. The introduction of stereo speakers only adds to the array of features that Samsung has put out with the Galaxy S9. The processor also runs on a next gen chip set with an Exynos 9810 and a 4 gigs ram.
The asking price can be a bit much for the features the S9 wants to be noticed for, especially when the S8 gives a somewhat similar experience at a lower price point.
With the company focussing on the camera and performance of the phone, we won’t be wrong in saying that this is where the phone wins our hearts. Bixby [Siri for non-Apple users] has improved as an AI since the last flagship, which is a welcome feature. It is waterproof and has an IP68 rating so it will be pretty hard for you to accidentally drown it.
The touchscreen has a 20% thicker glass which might feel bulkier to hold, but it’ll help it survive a fall or too. But then, it’ll be ever too prone to micro-scratches. The charging speed hasn’t seen much improvement, however, the overall endurance of the phone goes up to 78 hours.
Samsung has followed the “you don’t fix what’s not broken” mantra and just tweaked specs, for the better, wherever possible. And it has worked out just fine!
With Samsung being the biggest manufacturer of AMOLED screens for many other major players as well, they happily took this opportunity to save the best for themselves. The Galaxy S9 boasts a 14.73 centimetres (5.8-inch) Quad HD+ Super AMOLED Infinity display with 2960×1440 pixels and 18.5:9 aspect ratio.
The phone also uses Intelligent Scan (Face Recognition + Iris Scan) for unlocking the phone on top of the usual fingerprint scanner.
Bixby needs a special mention here, with the virtual assistant once again getting a dedicated button for ease of access. The AI has improved since we last used it in Galaxy S8 but has a long way to go before it can outperform its counterparts.
When it comes to the look and feel of the phone, it is not much different from what its predecessor had going for it. In all honesty, that’s a pretty good decision by Samsung, considering the S8’s and that perhaps is a very good decision by Samsung since the S8’s design was immensely well received. Opting to go against a drastic makeover in the structural design, Samsung has made numerous subtle changes that make the smartphone even more powerful from the inside while flaunting the same beautiful design. The fingerprint scanner now is on the back right below the primary camera setup to a more natural resting position of ease for the index finger. It is also perhaps the only flagship left with an audio jack still intact in its design.
The new addition of the stereo speakers makes the media experience even better. The sound is louder and clearer with much better bass. This is leaps and bounds ahead of the S8 in sound quality. It also supports Dolby 3D surround sound which has directionality to multichannel audio, It’s an effect most noticeable through the headphones.
The performance is not just caged to the processor but it also depends a lot on the GPU and RAM capacity. The S9 runs with Android v8 Oreo OS with Exynos 9810 Octa-core Processor and a lithium-ion battery setup of 3000 mAH, giving an unparalleled performance when it comes to multitasking and performing higher-end tasks with efficiency.
The phone is bundled with a 12 MP Single Rear camera with Dual Aperture lens that gives it an edge over its competitors. The dual aperture introduces many unique features to the users of this phone, including – low light image capture, super slow-mo video capture, and AR emoji.
Samsung has focussed a lot on video capturing as well. Like the flagship Sony Xperia handsets, the Galaxy S9 also comes with 960 frames per second video capture option. The ‘Super Slow Motion’ option shows the level of attention put into the details by Samsung. Both the S9 and S9+ have very good performances with the secondary telephoto camera in the S9+ giving it an edge over the S9 owing to the clearer image quality.
Galaxy S9 is powered by a 3000mAh battery. The massive battery capacity is enough to last an entire day for normal to medium usage and routine tasks.
As expected, the Samsung Galaxy S9 is everything the S8 was and more. You have the sleek built, the infinity display, and an amazing camera, but going even beyond that, Samsung has reworked the things that people were not happy with, and does not leave a lot left to complain about. Despite this, It might be possible that we are just spoilt, but there is nothing groundbreaking when it comes to the S9.
If you are looking for that cutting-edge Samsung Device with money not being an issue, then the S9 is the way to go. We wait in anticipation for Samsung to push the envelope a bit further with their next release.
- Bluetooth5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX
- Thickness0.33 inches
- Height5.81 inches
- Weight163 g
- ColorMidnight Black, Coral Blue, Lilac Purple
- BuildFront/back glass (Gorilla Glass 5), aluminum frame
- Width2.70 inches
- Display TypeSuper AMOLED capacitive touchscreen
- Screen Size5.8 inches
- Pixel Density570 ppi
- ProtectionCorning Gorilla Glass 5
- Display Resolution1440 x 2960 pixels
- Aspect Ratio18.5:9
- Screen to Body Ratio83.60%
- CPUOcta-core (4x2.7 GHz Mongoose M3 4x1.8 GHz Cortex-A55)
- Chipset GPExynos 9810 (10 nm)
- GPUMali-G72 MP18
- OSAndroid 8.0 (Oreo), upgradable to Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Expandable MemorymicroSD, up to 1 TB (uses shared SIM slot) - dual SIM model only
- RAM/Internal Storage64/128/256 GB, 4 GB RAM
- Single Camera12 MP, f/1.5-2.4, 26mm (wide), 1/2.55, 1.4 micron
- Back Camera FeaturesLED flash, auto-HDR, panorama
- AutofocusDual Pixel PDAF
- Back Camera Video2160p60fps, 1080p240fps, 720p960fps, HDR, dual-video rec.
- Front Camera Video1440p30fps
- Single Camera8 MP, f/1.7, 25mm (wide), 1/3.6, 1.22 micron, AF
- Front Camera FeaturesDual video call, Auto-HDR
- HeadPhone JackYes
- Audio Features32-bit/384kHz audioActive noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- User ReplaceableNon-removable
- Battery Capacity3000 mAh
- ChargingFast battery charging 15W (Quick Charge 2.0)Qi/PMA wireless charging (market dependent)
- Battery TypeLi-Ion
- USB3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- RadioFM radio
- Network SupportGSM / CDMA / HSPA / EVDO / LTE
- GPSYes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- SIMSingle SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- WLANWi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- SensorsIris scanner, fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, heart rate, SpO2
- Water ResistantIP68 dust/water proof (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Announced On2018, February
- StatusAvailable. Released 2018, March
Price / Buy
Get the best price for Samsung Galaxy S9
Get the best price for Samsung Galaxy S9
- Best Emulators For Playing Console Games On Android!Sat, 19 Sep'20The classic console games were a lot of fun back then and we enjoyed playing these on our consoles a lot. These games included Super Mario, Contra, Pokemon, Pac-MAN etc. Fortunately we have some emulators on Android that ca run these same classic console games on our Android smartphone, and here are the Best Emulators For Playing Console Games on Android!
- How To Watch IPL 2020 For Free On Your Mobile Phone?Tue, 15 Sep'20Finally IPL 2020 is around the corner. After all the uncertainties because of this Covid-19 pandemic situation, the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League is ready to hit the ground. It's really good news to the cricket fans from every corner of the globe. People are searching for different streaming platforms to watch IPL online. Here we have provided 5 best platforms to stream IPL from mobile.
- Top 5 Flagship Smartphones That You Can Buy Right NowMon, 14 Sep'20When most people are buying a new smartphone, they consider a lot of factors to ensure that they make the right purchase decision for themselves, the price segment is an important aspect for purchase for the vast majority of the users. However, if you are not one among them and want the absolute best smartphone experience that money can buy, then we have compiled a list of the top 5 flagship smartphones that offer the most premium experience at a price.
- Top 5 Smart Watches You Can Buy In India Right Now!Thu, 10 Sep'20Smart Watches is a segment of the technology and wearable space that has seen a massive rise in the past few years, we’ve seen multiple iterations of the original Apple Watch over the years and also several Android Wear watches that have good integration with the Android smartphones. Samsung, Huami, Fitbit, and other brands have also launched multiple smartwatches that run on Tizen and other proprietary operating systems with good integration with both Android and iOS.
- 10 Best Apps To Learn Cooking On Android!Fri, 4 Sep'20Though there are hundreds of cooking apps to choose from, these cooking apps are top-rated and highly recommended owing to their unique features and also ease of use. All these apps have made everything handy, easy to follow, and quick. These apps also try to make the cooking experience more creative and enjoyable. Cooking apps are truly helpful not only for beginners but also for regular cooks. From breakfast to dinner, you can count on their recipes as they all provide irresistible recipes. You just need to get into the kitchen and follow them without any ifs or buts. They will surely lend a helping hand in the kitchen through their recipes.
- 10 Best Mobile Games That You Must Play In 2020!Fri, 4 Sep'20While everyone is staying home being safe, mobile gaming is something that has kept us entertained during this pandemic. Here we have listed out some of the best mobile games that you must not miss and should definitely try it out. All these games are free to download and are available on both Android and iOS app stores.
- Top 10 Best Gaming Phones In India – 2020 Edition!Thu, 3 Sep'20Gaming smartphones is a new segment that has recently developed into a massive interest for many, we have even started seeing several new devices come with budget gaming focussed processors such as the Snapdragon 765G by Qualcomm. However, if you are looking for the ultimate gaming smartphone then there’s more to consider than just the SoC on the smartphone, factors like the display, audio, and the overall software experience add up to offer the smoothest gaming experience. Here are the top 10 gaming smartphones to buy in 2020.
- Phone batteries may appear small in size, but they hold a lot of toxic chemicals that are hazardous to the environment and health. They can harm the soil in which they are buried and can even pollute the air. Disposing of them in the correct ways is a necessity, and here we discuss the best way to dispose of your smartphone’s battery, the Right way.
- The mid-range segment of smartphones was very limited until recent times and was mostly filled with offerings form Chinese manufacturers and other small companies. Until recent times there was no real competitor in the mid-range segment that was worth our suggestion, however, this has taken a massive turn in recent years with Google releasing a cheaper version of their Pixel flagship smartphone and Apple releasing a similar offering at a budget price. In the year 2020, we now have at least 3 major competitors – the Google Pixel 4a, iPhone SE, and the OnePlus Nord. Here’s how they compete against each other.
- Top 10 Non-Chinese Smartphones Of All Time!Fri, 28 Aug'20Several new smartphones are released in India every month, and a lot of them are made in China. This involves products such as Xiaomi, Oppo, Realme, Vivo, and OnePlus devices. There has been a lot of discussion in the past few months regarding the anti-china campaign in India with consumers trying to limit the usage of Chinese products. A number of people are switching in the wake of this shift to smartphones with less dependence on China, if you are one of them then this list is for you. We've compiled a collection of some of the strongest smartphones of all time that are not made in China.
Discover Phones Best For You
- 8spec scoreSamsung Galaxy Note 8₹43,965Add to compare
- 8spec scoreNokia 8 Sirocco₹39,050Add to compare
- 7.5spec scoreMotorola Moto Z2 Play₹12,999Add to compare
- 7.9spec scoreMotorola Moto Z3Add to compare
- 8.3spec scoreSamsung Galaxy S10₹47,999Add to compare
- 7.9spec scoreSamsung Galaxy S8 Plus₹38,999Add to compare
- 7.5spec scoreSamsung Galaxy J6₹10,450Add to compare
- 8spec scoreSamsung Galaxy S9 Plus₹30,999Add to compare
- 7.7spec scoreMotorola Moto Z3 PlayAdd to compare
- 7.9spec scoreVivo X21₹19,990Add to compare
- 7.6spec scoreRealme 7₹14,999Add to compare
- 6.9spec scoreTecno Spark Go 2020₹6,499Add to compare
- 7.2spec scoreVivo Y20i₹11,490Add to compare
- 7.6spec scorePOCO M2₹10,999Add to compare
- 7.6spec scoreNokia 5.3₹13,999Add to compare
- 7.5spec scoreInfinix Note 7₹11,499Add to compare
- 7.4spec scoreOPPO F17₹17,990Add to compare
- 7.4spec scoreSamsung Galaxy Z Fold2₹149,999Add to compare
- 6.9spec scoreXiaomi Redmi 9i₹8,299Add to compare
- 7.9spec scoreSamsung Galaxy M51₹24,999Add to compare