Xiaomi Working On New In-display Camera Tech
Xiaomi’s video from last year showcasing the magic of under-display cameras was indeed a next step forward. The company finally announced that they will be mass-producing smartphones with under-display cameras from next year itself.
Highlights of the Story
- Xiaomi is all set to start releasing smartphones with under-display cameras from next year
- ZTE is expected to introduce an under-display camera phone next Tuesday, September 1
- Both Xiaomi and Oppo announced the technology last year
Looks like Xiaomi’s third generation under-display camera technology is going to take the market by storm when it lands. However, it is important to understand the technology first.
Xiaomi’s Under-Display Camera Tech: What Is It?
An under-display camera is quite literally what it sounds like. It refers to a camera that will no longer require a notch.
However, Xiaomi had released a video of a prototype of MI 9 having an under-display camera. The video was released on Twitter in June last year by Xiaomi’s director of product management, Donovan Sung.
The tweet from Donovan read, “Another video from #Xiaomi President Bin Lin, showing off a very exciting phone prototype… Here’s our #Mi9 with under-display camera, full-screen display and great selfie experience. No holes, no pop-ups, no notch… What does everyone think?”
This indeed was a very big tease of what was about to come. Selfie cameras have been constantly evolving in recent years. From waterdrop notches to punch-holes and now the under-display design, a lot will change.
3 Upcoming Under-Display Camera Phones
After Xiaomi’s release of the concept last year, we expected the Mi Mix 4 to come with the latest camera technology. However, the company faced some issues earlier this year. This might delay the commercial launch of the new camera technology. In April of this year, certain pieces of information showed up online. Renders clearly show the ultimate design for the upcoming phones planned by the company.
Vivo Apex 2020
Vivo has plans to launch their under-display camera phones too. The company always tends to come up with new concepts with the Apex phones. Furthermore, the Vivo Apex 2020 is expected to come with a variety of new features. The phone is expected to have a 16-megapixel under-display camera. We can also expect to see a 6.45-inch ultra-curved display that bends at 120 degrees on both sides. This in turn will offer ultra narrow bezels.
Oppo showcased its futuristic camera tech along with Xiaomi last year as well. However, Oppo decided to take it a step further by revealing a few other features. The prototype Oppo showed was also button-less and had no ports or camera bumps. Although there were certain flaws to it, we can expect to see a working phone anytime soon.
With multiple brands working on this latest camera tech, Xiaomi may not be the first one to come up with it. However, it will definitely be a solution to the notch design on Redmi phones, further providing users with a notch-less design. In fact, the first phone to have an under-display camera is the ZTE Axon 20 5G which is all set to be released on September 1.
- The OnePlus 9R was launched in April as a reasonable and appealing option for smartphone users who did not want to spend more than Rs 40,000. Then the 2021 launches rolled down, and the OnePlus 9R was no longer as competitive as it had been– it had simply become the most affordable way to get…
- The IPL 2021 resumption matches have been scheduled to kick off from September 19, 2021. When it comes to the location, the matches will be held in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Now, as the IPL 2021 schedule and stadium information are out of the way, let us talk a bit about the matches. The…
- In this article, we will be talking about a very popular Apple phone which is the iPhone 11. There is a huge confusion revolving around whether one should buy this iPhone in 2021 or not? Hence, we will be talking about 5 reasons that make buying the iPhone 11 worth it even in 2021. Also…
- Should you buy iPhone 12 in 2021? Or wait for iPhone 13?
- Lately, Tecno has been slaying the competition in the sub-Rs10,000 price bracket. Last we made a video of Tecno Spark 7, which was launched at Rs 8,999. Today, the brand has sent us their Tecno Camon 17, which is launched in India at Rs 12,999. Processor Gone are the days when we used to complain…