Xiaomi Working On New In-display Camera Tech
Xiaomi’s video from last year showcasing the magic of under-display cameras was indeed a next step forward. The company finally announced that they will be mass-producing smartphones with under-display cameras from next year itself.
Highlights of the Story
- Xiaomi is all set to start releasing smartphones with under-display cameras from next year
- ZTE is expected to introduce an under-display camera phone next Tuesday, September 1
- Both Xiaomi and Oppo announced the technology last year
Looks like Xiaomi’s third generation under-display camera technology is going to take the market by storm when it lands. However, it is important to understand the technology first.
Xiaomi’s Under-Display Camera Tech: What Is It?
An under-display camera is quite literally what it sounds like. It refers to a camera that will no longer require a notch.
However, Xiaomi had released a video of a prototype of MI 9 having an under-display camera. The video was released on Twitter in June last year by Xiaomi’s director of product management, Donovan Sung.
The tweet from Donovan read, “Another video from #Xiaomi President Bin Lin, showing off a very exciting phone prototype… Here’s our #Mi9 with under-display camera, full-screen display and great selfie experience. No holes, no pop-ups, no notch… What does everyone think?”
This indeed was a very big tease of what was about to come. Selfie cameras have been constantly evolving in recent years. From waterdrop notches to punch-holes and now the under-display design, a lot will change.
3 Upcoming Under-Display Camera Phones
After Xiaomi’s release of the concept last year, we expected the Mi Mix 4 to come with the latest camera technology. However, the company faced some issues earlier this year. This might delay the commercial launch of the new camera technology. In April of this year, certain pieces of information showed up online. Renders clearly show the ultimate design for the upcoming phones planned by the company.
Vivo Apex 2020
Vivo has plans to launch their under-display camera phones too. The company always tends to come up with new concepts with the Apex phones. Furthermore, the Vivo Apex 2020 is expected to come with a variety of new features. The phone is expected to have a 16-megapixel under-display camera. We can also expect to see a 6.45-inch ultra-curved display that bends at 120 degrees on both sides. This in turn will offer ultra narrow bezels.
Oppo showcased its futuristic camera tech along with Xiaomi last year as well. However, Oppo decided to take it a step further by revealing a few other features. The prototype Oppo showed was also button-less and had no ports or camera bumps. Although there were certain flaws to it, we can expect to see a working phone anytime soon.
With multiple brands working on this latest camera tech, Xiaomi may not be the first one to come up with it. However, it will definitely be a solution to the notch design on Redmi phones, further providing users with a notch-less design. In fact, the first phone to have an under-display camera is the ZTE Axon 20 5G which is all set to be released on September 1.
- I recall my first hands-on experience with a Tecno smartphone was in 2018. From then till now, Tecno has significantly grown in India. I have had friends coming up to me talking about their Tecno smartphones. Today, we have one such promising smartphone from the brand, it’s their all-new Tecno Spark 7. For those who…
- Is Google Pixel 4A a good pick in 2021? Should you invest in it right now? Read to know more.
- IPL Live Streaming Free Online: Best Free Ways to Watch IPL 2021 Cricket Matches on Your Mobile PhoneBest Free Ways to Watch IPL 2021 Cricket Matches for Free
- Read this to know the top five reasons to buy the all-new Vivo X60 Pro Plus.
- How To Save Your Smartphone From Water Damage During Holi