Do You Need Antivirus Software For Your Android Smartphone?
The days are gone when we used mobiles only for making a call or sending a text message. Nowadays, most of the work relies on our smartphones. From social media to bank accounts and from keeping documents to storing confidential messages, everything lies in this palm-size gadget. Now, many of us have questions like – do we need to secure our Android device with any external antivirus software? Well, in this article, you get the answer to this question.
Many of our computing tasks have shifted from desktop system to phone or tablet. In most cases, Android smartphones and tablets do not need installing the antivirus. However, it is equally valid that Android viruses exist and the antivirus with useful features can add an extra layer of security.
When you choose any mobile device, there are many factors that you need to consider, such as price, functions, performance, appearance, etc. However, whenever we talk about function, there is one thing that needs evaluation, and that is mobile security. If we talk about Apple, its OS run on a closed system. This means the app developers do not have access to the source code of the system. The owners of iOS devices are not able to modify any code themselves either. This makes Apple devices secure.
Whereas Android devices run on open source code, and that is why they are considered less secure as compared to iOS devices. Running on open source code means the owner can modify the settings to adjust them accordingly. Apart from that, Android also sources apps from developers. Unfortunately, doing this makes the device’s security system fragile and prone to malware.
How Can Android Device Get Viruses?
Like PCs, Android devices do not get infected with the traditional viruses which replicate itself, but they may get other malware. This malware is designed for accessing or controlling your device without your permission. Initially found in the year 2018, one such prominent Android malware is Triout. This malware hides in the Android device, then tracks the activities of the user, like recording phone calls, saving text messages, and tracking the location.
Most of the known Android malware and viruses are usually installed at the back of suspicious applications. Although you won’t find such apps in the Google Play store as all apps present there are verified by Play Protect. Fortunately, Android does not allow installing apps from unknown sources by default, so the chance for installation of any dubious application is very less.
However, in case, if you also install the apps outside of Google Play Store, then it is better to install an Android antivirus app to keep your device secure. There are many antiviruses for Android, such as AVG, Bitdefender, Avast Mobile Security, etc.
Things You Should Keep in Mind To Secure Your Device
There are a few things that you should consider to ensure the safety of your device:
- Software and Security Updates: Make sure that you always keep your software and security updated. Updating not only enhances the performance of your device but also makes your device more secure with the latest security features.
- Safe Browsing: The safe browsing mode which is built in the Android devices and enabled by default warns the user if he is going to enter any suspicious site. Again, to work this feature more precisely, you need to make always update Google Chrome and your Android device.
- Permission for Apps: Apart from both the features stated above, there is also an app permission feature that you can see in the App & Notification menu. This feature allows you to see which apps have permission to access what features of your smartphone.
These are basic things that you need to keep in mind and follow as much as possible to avoid any harm.
Do You Need Antivirus on Your Android Smartphone?
Although the Android device has all the essential safety features, still the security majorly depends on how you use the device. For example, let’s consider the following activities on your device:
- Downloading Apps: Your device is very much safe if you install the apps only from Google Play. However, this may not be the case forever. So, in that case, adding an Android antivirus will provide an extra layer of security.
- Rooting Your Phone: Many users love to use a rooted device due to different reasons. Rooting the device also gives them freedom. However, this increases the risk of threat attack and decreases security. In this situation, the Android virus scan could be beneficial.
- Using Your Phone For Work: If you use your phone for work, then you would be storing much sensitive information such as confidential emails, passwords, and banking details, which would be quite costly to lose if you are hacked. So, in that case, Android antivirus software can be of great help.
- Lost or Stolen Devices: If you are prone to losing your device and don’t want anyone else to find all your information, you can protect your device with Android Antivirus. Along with providing protection, it can also locate your phone or remotely wipe any confidential data if needed.
There is no hard and fast rule that you should use Antivirus in your Android device or not. It depends on the way how you use your Android device, what kind of data you keep in your device, and what level of security you want in your device. Keeping all these factors in mind, you need to choose whether you should have an Antivirus or not.
Some Recommended Anti-Virus for Android:
- Finally IPL 2020 is around the corner. After all the uncertainties because of this Covid-19 pandemic situation, the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League is ready to hit the ground. It's really good news to the cricket fans from every corner of the globe. People are searching for different streaming platforms to watch IPL online. Here we have provided 5 best platforms to stream IPL from mobile.
- Here are a few tips, tricks and hacks to play Garena Free Fire which will make you forget PubG.
- Sitting at the comfort of home, learn how you can change the battery of your OnePlus smartphone at home.
- If you are searching for a new smartphone, there are various features to look for, that you should consider while purchasing. In terms of internal specifications and exterior designs, smartphones have come a long way. While choosing a smartphone, one of the hard choices to make apart from other specifications is the smartphone body. Here…
- In this era, smartphones have grown to be an essential part of our lives but purchasing a perfect smartphone is a tedious process. Apart from other features, when it comes to buying a smartphone based on its display, a variety of displays are available in the market across a wide range of smartphones and it’s…
- Samsung Galaxy M31s is a new addition to the Monster M-series by Samsung with large battery life and great overall performance.
- The Redmi Note 9 Pro/Pro Max is a premium-looking phone with a good camera and battery.
- Vivo X50 is a mid-range smartphone with an ultimate camera performance.