The covid-19 pandemic has changed the way of how we live our lives. While most of us were forced to stay in our homes we did not have many opportunities to travel. When we are travelling we have to take a lot of precautions and try to maintain social distance. Now that most of the cities have opened for travelling via train you will not want to wait at the railway station for much longer for your train and instead you would want to catch your train at the right time and head to your seat while trying to stay safe.
If you do not want to wait for the train at the platform there are multiple places through which you can keep track of its running status using WhatsApp. To provide you with a little background folks at Indian railways have reportedly partnered up with Railofy and MakeMyTrip which is an Indian travel company with headquarters in Gurugram, Haryana to let users check live train status using WhatsApp. This makes perfect sense given how popular WhatsApp is and how many users in India have a WhatsApp account.
Previously if you wanted to find out the status of your train you had to dial 139 which was a cumbersome process. Other ways include downloading third-party apps and trusting them with your railway details which is also not a very safe option. So IRCTC came up with the decision to partner with private companies like Railofy and MakeMyTrip and this was a big sigh of relief for the railway passengers.
Using this service passengers can keep themselves updated with the live train status via WhatsApp. They can also check for the PNR status of the upcoming station, previous railway station, and more. It will completely eliminate a passenger’s need to dial 139 to check for live trains running status.
Steps to check live train status on WhatsApp with MakeMyTrip
- First and foremost you need to make sure that you have the latest version of WhatsApp installed on your smartphone. To verify this, Go to your Play Store if you are using Android or App store on your iOS device in check if you have received latest WhatsApp update
- Next you have to save the MakeMyTrip number on your smartphone which is 7349389104. You can save this number in your contact app.
- Now all you have to do is open WhatsApp and refresh your contact list then tap on the message icon at the bottom. Now locate MakeMyTrip number on WhatsApp
- Similarly now you can check your booking status by entering the PNR number. For Example, If the PNR number is 987654321, make sure you send the message as “PNR 987654321”. MakeMyTrip will respond with your real time booking status and will let you know the status of your train.
Steps to check live train status on WhatsApp with Railofy
- You can save Railofy’s (9881193322) train enquiry number on your smartphone.
- Now open WhatsApp and tap on the chat button. You can search for the Railofy number and open the chat window
- The next thing you have to do is text the contact your 10 digit PNR number. For example, to check the status of train RJPB RAJDHANI (12567), simply type 12567 without any suffix or prefix.
- Once you do this drop will automatically start keeping a track of the train with the PNR number that it belongs to.
- You will now be able to receive real-time status of your train in multiple texts through WhatsApp. Make sure your WhatsApp notifications are on so that you can receive status updates of your train.
In order to make sure that you have the live train status of your train specifically. Remember to enter the train number correctly and also note that unless you see two ticks. Ticks indicate that your message has been delivered and you won’t be able to receive the details of live train status on WhatsApp for any other railway inquiry.
Both the Railofy and MakeMyTrip require to fetch data from the IRCTC servers that might have a slight delay in receiving a reply. Moreover, these services are available for all Indian Railway travellers. So it is not necessary for you to use either of these platforms to book your tickets. You can just save these numbers and check your train status in real-time for free on WhatsApp.
I am geek your friends warned you about. Total nerd, always there to help you, guide you about your tech discussions. Eat Sleep Breathe Technology - That's on my repeat mode.