How To Start Using eSIM In India: Step-By-Step Guide for Airtel, Jio, And Vi
eSIMs are the best replacement for the physical SIM that we use in our devices. They give a lot of features as you can easily change your SIM card any time you want directly through your mobile operator. If you’re thinking about how to convert your physical SIM into an eSIM be it from Airtel, JIO, or VI. Here is a simple tutorial for it.
Highlights of the Story
- eSIMs have completely changed the way we use our Network operator.
- An eSIM can be activated without even visiting the store physically and it is safe and secure.
- Although eSIMs can only be used on few devices right now. If you have a compatible device then check this complete guide for using eSIM.
eSIMs have been around for a while now and they work as a replacement for the physical Sim cards. There are a lot of advantages to using an eSim over a regular sim card. For example, this eSim implementation can save a lot of space in the smartphone that is used for the sim tray slot. But space is not the only thing, with an eSim you can easily switch your mobile operator without doing the hassle of getting a new sim card.
Airtel, Jio, and VI, the three main operators of India allow you to change the physical sim into an eSIM. The eSIM can only be used in a device that is compatible with an eSIM. So, if you want to convert your physical Sim to an eSIM, here is a complete guide for all the available operators.
What is an eSIM?
eSIM is an embedded sim card that can connect to any network operator without using a physical sim card. The network operator should support eSIM services.
You can directly enable an eSIM card through your smartphone. And your smartphone should also be compatible with eSIM. As of now, eSIMs are not really mainstream, so very few devices support them such as the new iPhones (starting from iPhone 11) or the Google Pixel devices.
In India, all the major operators support eSIM but the only thing you need is a compatible device. Check out some of the benefits of using an eSIM card.
Benefits of using an eSIM
eSIMs are beneficial for everyone, including OEM manufacturers, users, and telecom operators. Here are some benefits of using eSIM.
- eSIM can save a lot of space inside your smartphone by replacing the slide-in sim tray with an onboard soldered eSIM. Unlike a physical SIM card, it doesn’t need any specific card slot
- An eSIM allows you to change your network operator simply over a phone call or by raising a request online.
- eSIMs can store multiple network profiles and it works perfectly across the world. This is a great option for someone who travels a lot.
- Losing an eSIM is very unlikely compared to a physical sim card. Once you enable and set up the eSIM, you just can never lose it, it’s a hardware chip on your device and the only way you lose your eSIM is if you lose or break your smartphone.
How to Activate eSim on Airtel
The steps for activating an eSim on Airtel are very similar for both Android and iOS users.
- The first step is to send an SMS, eSIM <space> registered email address to 121.
- If your email address is valid you will shortly receive a message from 121, for confirming the eSIM process.
- You have to reply to this SMS by ‘1’.
- Now you will get another SMS from 121 for providing consent through call.
- After giving the consent you will again get a message from 121 for the QR code that has been sent on your registered email ID.
Remember, the complete activation process can take up to 2 hours with Airtel. If still, it hasn’t activated contact customer support.
How to Activate eSim on Jio
- Make sure your device is compatible with JIO eSIM. You can check it through the official Jio Website.
- Open Settings and then tap on About to check your IMEI and EID number
- Now send an SMS GETESIM <32 Digit EID> <15 Digit IMEI> to 199 from your Android device having an active JIO SIM
- You will get a 19 digit eSIM number and your eSIM profile configuration details
- Now again send an SMS, SIMCHG <19 Digit eSIM number> to 199
- It will give you an update on the eSIM processing after 2 hours
- After getting the message, confirm it by sending ‘1’ to 183
- Now you will get a call on your JIO number which will ask you to share your 19 digit eSIM number
- You will shortly receive a confirmation message for the confirmation of your new eSIM
How to Activate eSim on VI
- So first, you need to SMS, eSIM <space> registered email address to 199
- A confirmation message will shortly arrive only if your email address is correct
- Now reply to the SMS by ESIMY to confirm
- You will again receive an SMS asking for consent through a call
- After giving consent, a message will be sent to your email ID with a QR code
How to Enable and Setup eSIM on Android and iOS
- Open Settings, and tap on Connections
- Now open Sim Card Manager and tap on Add Mobile Plan
- After this select the Add Using QR Code option
- Now you have to scan the QR code that you got on your mail and follow other instructions.
- After scanning, tap on Add which will add the eSIM to your device
If you’re using JIO on your Android Smartphone then you have to follow some slightly different steps that are mentioned below:
- Below Add Using QR Code, you will find an Enter Code Instead option
- Tap on it and enter the activation code like this: LPA:1$smdprd.jio.com$ <space> 32 digit activation code that you received via SMS/email and tap on Connect
- Now your JIO eSIM is completely activated and you can check it in the SIM Card Manager
- Open Settings and tap on Mobile Data
- Select Add Data Plan
- Now scan the QR code you got on your mail
- After scanning again select Add Data Plan and choose the Data Plan Labels according to you
- Tap on Continue and your eSIM is fully activated and configured
Follow these steps to enable the eSIM on your iOS device if you’re using a JIO Sim card:
- In the Add Data Plan Option, select Enter details manually
- You will see an SM-DP+address column, enter smdprd.jio.com there
- Now type the Activation Code you got in the eSIM profile configuration SMS
- After this tap on Next in the top right corner, and your eSIM will be activated
Also Read: Best Smartphones To Play Call Of Duty Mobile
- Today, OPPO brings yet another charming smartphone for you to flaunt in style. After the Reno5 Series earlier this year, the brand has today launched its all-new Reno6 Series. And we have the Reno6 Pro 5G, which is now launched in India starting at a price tag of Rs. 39,990 for the 12GB+256GB variant. We…
- I have a quick question for you. How much are you willing to spend on your next Bluetooth speaker? If you are going to answer above Rs.5000, then maybe you don’t have to spend that much. Because today we are reviewing Sony’s all-new SRS-XB13 Bluetooth speaker, which is priced at Rs.3,990 and could very well…
- Today, we will be talking about the iQOO Z3 camera which is one of the best performing cameras under the Rs. 20,000 segment. We will be first discussing the camera specifications of the phone: Camera Specifications iQOO Z3 comes with a triple rear camera setup with a 64MP primary camera, 8MP ultra wide angle lens…
- There have been so many new smartphone launches in recent days. This is the reason smartphone buyers may usually get confused while buying a phone. The under Rs. 20,000 price segment has so many phones that choosing a single smartphone has become very difficult. However, we have a new launch in this price segment which…
- This article will let you know every little detail about iQOO Z3 which may not have been clear earlier. This article will clear all your doubts related to iQOO Z3 and in case you are planning to purchase the iQOO Z3, this article will answer all your questions. Today, we will be answering 25 FAQ…