eSIM in India has been around for a while now, and they work as a replacement for the physical Sim cards. There are a lot of advantages to using an eSIM in India over a regular SIM card. For example, this eSIM implementation can save a lot of space in the smartphone used for the sim tray slot. But space is not the only thing; with an eSIM, you can easily switch your mobile operator without doing the hassle of getting a new sim card.
Airtel, Jio, and VI, the three leading operators of our country, allow you to change the physical sim into an eSIM in India. However, the eSIM can only be used in a device that is compatible with an eSIM. So, if you want to convert your physical Sim to an eSIM in India, here is a complete guide for all the available operators.
What is an eSIM?
eSIM is an embedded sim card that can connect to any network operator without using a physical sim card. The network operator should support eSIM services.
You can directly enable an eSIM card through your smartphone. And your smartphone should also be compatible with eSIM in India. However, eSIMs are not really mainstream, so very few devices support them, such as the new iPhones (starting from Apple iPhone 11) or the Google Pixel devices.
In India, all the major operators support eSIM, but you only need a compatible device. Check out some of the benefits of using an eSIM in India.
Benefits of using an eSIM
eSIMs are beneficial for everyone, including OEM manufacturers, users, and telecom operators. Here are some benefits of using eSIM in India.
- eSIM can save a lot of space inside your smartphone by replacing the slide-in sim tray with an onboard soldered eSIM. Unlike a physical SIM card, it doesn’t need any specific card slot
- An eSIM in India allows you to change your network operator simply over a phone call or by raising a request online.
- eSIMs can store multiple network profiles and it works perfectly across the world. This is a great option for someone who travels a lot.
- Losing an eSIM is very unlikely compared to a physical sim card. Once you enable and set up the eSIM, you just can never lose it, it’s a hardware chip on your device and the only way you lose your eSIM is if you lose or break your smartphone.
How to Activate eSIM on Airtel?
The steps for activating an eSim in India on Airtel are very similar for both Android and iOS users.
- The first step is to send an SMS, eSIM <space> registered email address to 121.
- If your email address is valid you will shortly receive a message from 121, for confirming the eSIM process.
- You have to reply to this SMS by ‘1’.
- Now you will get another SMS from 121 for providing consent through call.
- After giving the consent you will again get a message from 121 for the QR code that has been sent on your registered email ID.
Remember, the complete activation process can take up to 2 hours with Airtel. So if still it hasn’t been activated, contact customer support.
How to Activate eSIM in India on Jio?
- Make sure your device is compatible with JIO eSIM. You can check it through the official Jio Website.
- Open Settings and then tap on About to check your IMEI and EID number
- Now send an SMS GETESIM <32 Digit EID> <15 Digit IMEI> to 199 from your Android device having an active JIO SIM
- You will get a 19 digit eSIM number and your eSIM profile configuration details
- Now again send an SMS, SIMCHG <19 Digit eSIM number> to 199
- It will give you an update on the eSIM processing after 2 hours
- After getting the message, confirm it by sending ‘1’ to 183
- Now you will get a call on your JIO number which will ask you to share your 19 digit eSIM number
- You will shortly receive a confirmation message for the confirmation of your new eSIM
How to Activate eSIM on VI?
- So first, you need to SMS, eSIM <space> registered email address to 199
- A confirmation message will shortly arrive only if your email address is correct
- Now reply to the SMS by ESIMY to confirm
- You will again receive an SMS asking for consent through a call
- After giving consent, a message will be sent to your email ID with a QR code
How to Activate/Setup eSIM on Android and iOS?
1. For Android
- Open Settings, and tap on Connections
- Now open Sim Card Manager and tap on Add Mobile Plan
- After this select, the Add Using QR Code option
- Now you have to scan the QR code that you got in your mail and follow other instructions.
- After scanning, tap on Add which will add the eSIM to your device
If you’re using JIO on your Android Smartphone, then you have to follow some slightly different steps that are mentioned below:
- Below Add Using QR Code, you will find an Enter Code Instead option
- Tap on it and enter the activation code like this: LPA:1$smdprd.jio.com$ <space> 32 digit activation code that you received via SMS/email and tap on Connect
- Now your JIO eSIM is completely activated and you can check it in the SIM Card Manager
2. For iOS
- Open Settings and tap on Mobile Data
- Select Add Data Plan
- Now scan the QR code you got on your mail
- After scanning again select Add Data Plan and choose the Data Plan Labels according to you
- Tap on Continue and your eSIM is fully activated and configured
Follow these steps to enable the eSIM on your iOS device if you’re using a JIO Sim card:
- In the Add Data Plan Option, select Enter details manually
- You will see an SM-DP+address column, enter smdprd.jio.com there
- Now type the Activation Code you got in the eSIM profile configuration SMS
- After this tap on Next in the top right corner, and your eSIM will be activated
Also Read: Best Smartphones To Play Call Of Duty Mobile