Jio To Launch Low-Cost Android Phone in December: Report
Jio is now determined to disrupt the budget smartphone segment in India by entering the market with its own.
Highlights of the Story
- Reliance’s ambition is to hand a smartphone to every Indian.
- Alphabet’s Google will invest $4.5 billion in its digital unit.
In July, Reliance announced that Google would invest $4.5 billion in the Jio Platform. The companies will together make low-cost Android smartphones. Moreover, the telecom giant is looking to outsource the manufacturing of over 10 crore low-cost smartphones.
Reliance Jio also promised to make India 2G-Mukt or 2G-free.
This will be a step to give a push to their mission of converting 2G users into 3G, 4G users. This phone bundled with data packs from Jio can launch in December 2020 or early next year, according to reports.
Also Read: 4G vs VoLTE: Why Should You Upgrade?
This phone will give direct competition to brands like Xiaomi, OPPO, Vivo. This budget phone segment is ruled by Chinese companies. Meanwhile, it currently dominates a $2 billion (roughly Rs. 14,713 crores) market for sub-$100 (roughly Rs. 7,360) smartphones in India.
However, it looks like Jio is ready to push them into a corner.
Google will build an Android operating system (OS) to power a low-cost “4G or even 5G” smartphone that Reliance Jio would design, according to Mukesh Ambani.
Also Read: 10 Best Apps To Learn Cooking On Android!
On the other hand, this is not the company’s first rodeo with phones. In 2017 they launched Jio phone, a no-frills device that gave users internet access for as little as roughly Rs. 1,470.
In addition, the phone now has more than 100 million users, many of whom are internet first-timers.
Also Read: Huawei Y9a Officially Launched
Reliance has sold nearly 33 percent of its digital arm, Jio Platforms, to raise Rs. 152,000 crores and has won the backing of global financial and tech investors including, Facebook, Intel, and Qualcomm.
- Finally IPL 2020 is around the corner. After all the uncertainties because of this Covid-19 pandemic situation, the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League is ready to hit the ground. It's really good news to the cricket fans from every corner of the globe. People are searching for different streaming platforms to watch IPL online. Here we have provided 5 best platforms to stream IPL from mobile.
- Here are a few tips, tricks and hacks to play Garena Free Fire which will make you forget PubG.
- Sitting at the comfort of home, learn how you can change the battery of your OnePlus smartphone at home.
- If you are searching for a new smartphone, there are various features to look for, that you should consider while purchasing. In terms of internal specifications and exterior designs, smartphones have come a long way. While choosing a smartphone, one of the hard choices to make apart from other specifications is the smartphone body. Here…
- In this era, smartphones have grown to be an essential part of our lives but purchasing a perfect smartphone is a tedious process. Apart from other features, when it comes to buying a smartphone based on its display, a variety of displays are available in the market across a wide range of smartphones and it’s…
- Samsung Galaxy M31s is a new addition to the Monster M-series by Samsung with large battery life and great overall performance.
- The Redmi Note 9 Pro/Pro Max is a premium-looking phone with a good camera and battery.
- Vivo X50 is a mid-range smartphone with an ultimate camera performance.