New Malware “Silver Sparrow” Infects Apple M1 Macbooks
While malware for Windows and Linux are far more common, infections are rare on Mac. According to a report by Malwarebytes, Silver Sparrow has infected more than 30,000 machines.
Discovered by Red Canary along with Malwarebytes and VMWare Carbon Black. As of February 17, it has spread over 157 countries with the majority of users located in the United Kingdom, Canada, France, United States and Germany.
The purpose of the malware and what it intends to do is still unclear. Moreover, researchers don’t know if it spreads through the use of pirated apps, ads or some other sources. Fake Flash distributors are the major sources of infection on Mac devices.
Also Read: Google Classroom Offline Mode Coming Soon
Silver Sparrow and Apple M1 chips
The new infection also affects Apple’s latest M1 chips. This means that the new infection is an advanced one. To be precise, this is the second infection that has made its way to the Apple M1 architecture. The first-ever infection was detected just four days before Silver Sparrow was detected.
Though we haven’t observed Silver Sparrow delivering additional malicious payloads yet, its forward-looking M1 chip compatibility, global reach, relatively high infection rate, and operational maturity suggest Silver Sparrow is a reasonably serious threat, uniquely positioned to deliver a potentially impactful payload at a moment’s notice.
Given these causes for concern, in the spirit of transparency, we wanted to share everything we know with the broader infosec industry sooner rather than later.According to Lambert
While the report by Red Canary talks about the files and the paths used by the new infection. Having said that, the intentions of the new malware is yet to be determined.
- Lately, Tecno has been slaying the competition in the sub-Rs10,000 price bracket. Last we made a video of Tecno Spark 7, which was launched at Rs 8,999. Today, the brand has sent us their Tecno Camon 17, which is launched in India at Rs 12,999. Processor Gone are the days when we used to complain…
- Nokia G20 comes as the latest budget offering by HMD Global in India.
- Today, OPPO brings yet another charming smartphone for you to flaunt in style. After the Reno5 Series earlier this year, the brand has today launched its all-new Reno6 Series. And we have the Reno6 Pro 5G, which is now launched in India starting at a price tag of Rs. 39,990 for the 12GB+256GB variant. We…
- I have a quick question for you. How much are you willing to spend on your next Bluetooth speaker? If you are going to answer above Rs.5000, then maybe you don’t have to spend that much. Because today we are reviewing Sony’s all-new SRS-XB13 Bluetooth speaker, which is priced at Rs.3,990 and could very well…
- Today, we will be talking about the iQOO Z3 camera which is one of the best performing cameras under the Rs. 20,000 segment. We will be first discussing the camera specifications of the phone: Camera Specifications iQOO Z3 comes with a triple rear camera setup with a 64MP primary camera, 8MP ultra wide angle lens…