Reports: China May Not Allow Microsoft To Acquire TikTok
TikTok is facing a new crisis for its market in the USA now.
Highlights of the Story
- TikTok receives an ultimatum to sell its operations in the US to an American Company.
- Trump administration is looking for a cut in the sale.
- China won’t accept the “theft” of TikTok: China Daily.
TikTok is facing a new crisis after its ban in India a few months back. At the same time, talk on banning of the short-video platform was rising in the US. Now, after several days of the news, the US Government has issued 45 days of ultimatum to Bytedance to sell its US operations. The sale of its operations in the US is up for American companies to buy. Otherwise, it will be shutting down.
Bytedance is suffering from a major loss by losing its major market in India already. However, if it loses the US market, it will suffer a setback.
Meanwhile, Microsoft also showed interest in acquiring TikTok’s operation and CEO Satya Nadela is in the conversation for the deal. In addition, it is looking to buy the the operations in United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
On the other hand, the US president said that he made a demand for a “substantial portion” of the purchase price to be paid to the US treasury. This is looking like an attack by the China Government as of now.
A newspaper, China Daily (state-owned), published an article that reads, “China will by no means accept the theft of a Chinese technology company, and it has plenty of ways to respond if the administration carries out its planned smash and grab.”
Bytedance has not commented yet on the situation. However, another newspaper in China, Global Times, called the sale a “daylight robbery.”
The situation of TikTok’s future in the US market is still blurry. Also, Trump’s Government is yet to explain why the US treasury should get a cut from the sale.
Now, all that’s left to see is how China retaliates to this move.
Also read: Top Camera Smartphones
- The OnePlus 9R was launched in April as a reasonable and appealing option for smartphone users who did not want to spend more than Rs 40,000. Then the 2021 launches rolled down, and the OnePlus 9R was no longer as competitive as it had been– it had simply become the most affordable way to get…
- The IPL 2021 resumption matches have been scheduled to kick off from September 19, 2021. When it comes to the location, the matches will be held in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Now, as the IPL 2021 schedule and stadium information are out of the way, let us talk a bit about the matches. The…
- In this article, we will be talking about a very popular Apple phone which is the iPhone 11. There is a huge confusion revolving around whether one should buy this iPhone in 2021 or not? Hence, we will be talking about 5 reasons that make buying the iPhone 11 worth it even in 2021. Also…
- Should you buy iPhone 12 in 2021? Or wait for iPhone 13?
- Lately, Tecno has been slaying the competition in the sub-Rs10,000 price bracket. Last we made a video of Tecno Spark 7, which was launched at Rs 8,999. Today, the brand has sent us their Tecno Camon 17, which is launched in India at Rs 12,999. Processor Gone are the days when we used to complain…