Is It Safe to Sell Your Old Phone Online? Important Things To Keep In Mind
Selling your phone online is not as easy as it sounds there are a lot of checks involved that you need to take care of. In this article, we explain what are the risks involved in selling phones online, what kind of steps you can take to safeguard yourself against them and which platform is the best to sell them.
Highlights of the Story
- Selling your old smartphone for a good resale value can be sometimes tough and online platforms such as Cashify provide the best value for money.
- In case you are looking out to sell your old smartphone online make sure to keep a note of things mentioned in the article.
- These checks will make sure to keep you safe and get the maximum value for your old smartphone
The frequency at which brands are launching smartphones in crazy and anytime a new smartphone arrives you get the urge to buy it and upgrade your current smartphone. Once you have decided to upgrade you can sell your old phone on online platforms that provide the best value for your smartphone and you can use that money to buy a new smartphone.
But there’s one hurdle, you may not be an expert salesman. Don’t worry; you need not be one to sell a phone to get its best price. There are a lot of online platforms where you can showcase your phone and wait to get the best offers.
Also read: Smartphone reviews
Many of us have doubts about whether selling a phone online is the right thing to do or not. It’s not always the case where you have a negative experience selling a phone online, but just to be safe, here are few risks and how you can protect yourself against them:
1. Data Security
When it comes to Android phones, they don’t have much secure way to delete data. Even if you reset the phone, there are still chances that your data can be recovered. Any person with some technical know-how can recover the data.
So before you go out and sell your phone just after formatting, try loading it with random images, music, and videos. After that, you can perform a factory reset on the phone. You can do this procedure as many times as you want to. The process removes your old data, and even if someone accesses your data, all they get on their hands is some random images and videos.
In case you are selling an iPhone, you can simply navigate to “Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content & Settings” and by doing so everything on your smartphone will be completely erased including media files, calls logs, messages etc.
2. Be Transparent
If the smartphone that you are selling has some hardware/software issues, be straightforward with the buyer and inform the buyer about these issues. Believe it or not, it gives you a better chance to sell your phone, and the buyer doesn’t feel cheated later on.
Also, when you interact with the buyer, take some time and explain to them what special features are in your phone and what functions it does better. While some may be tech enthusiasts, not everyone will be updated with the latest technology.
Also Read: The Best Ways To Sell Your Old iPhone
3. Timing is essential
If you decide to sell your old phone, be quick about getting the word out. The smartphone market moves pretty quickly these days; flagship launched today with a premium price tag might not worth that much even after a month’s use. So the longer you’ll wait, the longer your phone’s value will deteriorate.
The best way to go with this is to sell the phone as soon as you hear any news about the next-generation model’s launch. So as soon as you start hearing any rumors about the next-gen device, sell your old phone and use your secondary smartphone (if you have one) for a while. This way, you can use the latest device as soon as it launches. You’ll also get a better price for your old smartphone with this method.
4. Personal Safety
In case you are selling the phone through websites like OLX and have to meet the buyer in person, make sure you take all the safety measures. There are some stories where the exchange did not turn out to be good for the seller. But don’t let this stop you from your goal. Here are a few precautions that you can take.
- Ensure that the location you are choosing is safe, like a public area, and meet in the daytime.
- Insist on meeting in busy hours like 1 PM to 6 PM.
- Let your partner or close friends know about your meeting and if possible ask them to accompany you.
5. Stay away from too eager buyers
If a seller appears too eager to buy the phone even without even examining it in person. A buyer like that turns out most times to be fraudsters. They may even try and convince you by providing you fake IDs or promising to pay in advance to establish trust.
Do beware of such buyers, and do not click on any links, QR codes, or enter your UPI pin while receiving payments. Always receive the money in person and then hand it over the phone; this works best for everyone.
6. Do not share any sensitive information
When selling your old phone, make sure that the invoice you share with the buyer does not have your private information like a home address and phone number redacted to prevent any misuse of the information.
In case you need to provide any identity proof such as your Aadhar card or PAN card details, make sure the personal details are redacted from them and add the purpose for which the documents are to be shared on the copy only. This limits the ways through which the documents can be misused.
Also Read: Things to Do Before Selling Your Smartphone
How Cashify can be a great place to sell your phone?
Cashify is probably the best website to sell your phone which is safe, convenient, and offers the best value for money. All you have to do is follow a few simple steps, and you can sell the phone without even leaving your home. You just have to register on the website and choose your model. Once picked up you then receive the money on spot in your bank account. The platform grades your device based on its condition and later puts it up for sale as a refurbished device.
Also Read: Dummy’s Guide To Buy A Refurbished Phone
- The OnePlus 9R was launched in April as a reasonable and appealing option for smartphone users who did not want to spend more than Rs 40,000. Then the 2021 launches rolled down, and the OnePlus 9R was no longer as competitive as it had been– it had simply become the most affordable way to get…
- The IPL 2021 resumption matches have been scheduled to kick off from September 19, 2021. When it comes to the location, the matches will be held in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Now, as the IPL 2021 schedule and stadium information are out of the way, let us talk a bit about the matches. The…
- In this article, we will be talking about a very popular Apple phone which is the iPhone 11. There is a huge confusion revolving around whether one should buy this iPhone in 2021 or not? Hence, we will be talking about 5 reasons that make buying the iPhone 11 worth it even in 2021. Also…
- Should you buy iPhone 12 in 2021? Or wait for iPhone 13?
- Lately, Tecno has been slaying the competition in the sub-Rs10,000 price bracket. Last we made a video of Tecno Spark 7, which was launched at Rs 8,999. Today, the brand has sent us their Tecno Camon 17, which is launched in India at Rs 12,999. Processor Gone are the days when we used to complain…