If you still use SHAREit, you should know that a bug allows hackers to gain access to sensitive user information. It is one of the most downloaded apps on the Google Play Store, with more than 1 billion downloads to date.
Also Read: Epic Games vs Apple Antitrust Comes To EU
What does TrendMicro have to say?
According to the cybersecurity expert TrendMicro, sensitive user information can be accessed by hackers using the bugs in the app. SHAREit is one of the most downloaded apps in India. Users who still have the app installed on their smartphones might be still at risk.
We discovered several vulnerabilities in the application named SHAREit. The vulnerabilities can be abused to leak a user’s sensitive data and execute arbitrary code with SHAREit permissions by using a malicious code or app. They can also potentially lead to Remote Code Execution (RCE). In the past, vulnerabilities that can be used to download and steal files from users’ devices have also been associated with the app.Echo Duan, security expert at Trend Micro
The report also states that SHAREit did not intend to include these bugs. The developer of the app is yet to respond to Trend Micro regarding these vulnerabilities.
The company also added,
We decided to disclose our research three months after reporting this since many users might be affected by this attack because the attacker can steal sensitive data and do anything with the apps’ permission. It is also not easily detectable.
Banned temporarily in India in June of 2020, SHAREit is one of the 59 Chinese apps. In January 2021, the government of India decided to permanently ban the 59 apps.
If you still have SHAREit installed on your smartphone, we advise you to uninstall the app or not use it at all.
- We are going to talk about 5 reasons to buy Tecno Camon 18 in our first impressions, which makes it a great buy for its price point.
- We are going to talk about the 5 reasons why you should buy OnePlus 9R in 2022 at an effective price of Rs 36,999
- There are some things you can do from your end to prevent OnePlus Nord 2 from overheating more than it shouldn’t.
- We are going to talk about the 5 reasons why we think iPhone 13 is essentially FAILED in India.
- Should you buy the OnePlus 9 in late 2021?