5 Top Grossing Video Games Of All Time That You Can Play Today!
Interested to know about the business side of the gaming world? After all, the video games industry is as big as some movie industries now. We take a look at five top grossing video games in this article, to understand the magnitude of where the video games industry is headed for the future!
Table Of Contents
- 1Red Dead Redemption 2
- 2PUBG: Battlegrounds
- 3Grand Theft Auto V
Highlights of the Story
- The video games industry has become obsessed with numbers in the past few years. After all, it is a business at the end of the day.
- Some developers have often compromised on quality in a bid to meet sales figures and deadlines. Others have mastered both quality and quantity.
- Take a look at five of the top grossing video games in the modern era!
Considering how large the video games industry has grown, checking numbers has become part and parcel of the industry. With some games like GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 redefining the business altogether, companies have become obsessed with sales figures. This is the natural step forward for such a vast industry. As fans, we can only ask the companies not to compromise on quality in a bid to meet their sales and deadlines (looking at you, Cyberpunk 2077). However, some games meet both quantity and quality standards in an impeccable fashion. These are the video games we’ll be looking at today. Let’s look at the top grossing video games, shall we?
Red Dead Redemption 2
Units sold – 43 million
Released – 2018
Speaking of Red Dead Redemption 2, this game redefined open-world gaming and storytelling in the modern era. While the basis for this was already laid down by GTA 5, Rockstar improved on its formula and delivered a game worth every bit of the hype. The first Red Dead Redemption game was nominated for multiple Game Of The Year awards, thereby creating massive hype around the sequel. Thankfully, the sequel delivered on all the expectations and more. If you’ve ever dreamed of being a cowboy in the Wild West, right before the start of Modernism, this is the game to play. If nothing else, play the game for its beautiful story and engaging gameplay.
Units sold – 70 million (as of 2020)
Released – 2017
The latest sales figures for PUBG: Battlegrounds are slightly difficult to find. However, ever since the game’s release in 2017, the game has sold over 70 million copies. Moreover, you can still buy the game in online stores such as Steam. Although PUBG Mobile has taken over the world now, PUBG: Battlegrounds is still quite a behemoth in the gaming industry. As the first game to introduce the Battle Royale mode, it isn’t dying out anytime soon.
Moreover, the game is solid both in terms of gameplay and graphics. It has an exceptionally steep learning curve, though. So if you’re planning to play this game, get ready for some serious challenges.
Check out on: Steam
Grand Theft Auto V
Units sold – 160+ million
Released – 2013
What can we say about Grand Theft Auto V that hasn’t already been said? This game changed the perspective for open-world games when it was released almost a decade ago in 2013. Now, the game has received multiple remasters that have made it more engaging to players on the next generation of consoles. While we wait for GTA 6 news and announcements, GTA 5 is a game you can revisit endlessly. It’s got excellent storytelling, a considerable open world littered with random activities, and some highly memorable characters. If you have a craving for open-world games today, you can’t go wrong with this game.
Units sold – 238+ million
Released – 2011
Who would’ve thought that a game like Minecraft, with pixel art and blocky aesthetics, would’ve beaten games like GTA 5 in terms of sales figures? However, this just makes a stronger case about the content and quality of games being more important than the graphics. With Minecraft, you’ve got an almost endless amount of freedom. You can either play the Survival Mode, where you have to survive the onslaught of creatures during the night and farm resources during the day, or the Creative Mode. The second mode gives you unlimited resources to mine and craft anything to your heart’s content. People have created entire games based on franchises like Pokemon, in Minecraft.
Moreover, the modding community in Minecraft is highly creative and comes up with something new every now and then. Basically, this results in endless replayability and keeps the game fresh. If you’ve had an aversion towards this game all this time, why not give it a shot? After all, the sales figure can’t lie about the game’s quality!
Check out on: Official Minecraft website
Units sold – 500+ million
Release date – 1984
Yup. The top grossing video game of all time is Tetris. One of the earliest puzzle and strategy games, Tetris has been revisited by countless developers who wanted to put their unique twist on the game. Some have worked, while others have not. Regardless, the cerebral fun of playing Tetris on the newer generation of hardware is unparalleled. Not only are your senses being fed with some beautiful animations, but the game’s challenge isn’t lost either. You will still have to fit as many tiles and blocks as possible to reach the highest scores. This makes one thing certain – simplicity and elegance can’t be beaten. Considering the sales figures of this game, Tetris won’t be beaten anytime soon either!
Check out on: Steam
So, what do you think about the top grossing video games of all time? Didn’t you find some unexpected entries here? That’s the best part about the gaming community. You’re never quite sure what people will like. A good thumb rule to follow is to not overcomplicate things, and ensure that the foundations are strong for your game. Let’s see which game breaks the internet and these sales figures in the future. Our money’s on GTA 6. What about you?
- iQOO smartphones are doing well in the market because they have an understanding of the desires of an Indian consumer, a good smartphone at a reasonable price. Read this article if you are confused about which phone to buy between iQOO Neo 6 and iQOO 7. Also read: New OnePlus Phone Tipped To Launch With…
- If you frequently travel on Delhi Metro, you must have noticed that the internet does not work well during peak hours and when the metro goes through underground tunnels. We tested both Jio and Airtel while travelling from Noida to Gurugram. Although this is not a scientific experiment, we tried to be as fair as…
- iQOO Neo 6, with its price range similar to iQOO 7 and OnePlus Nord 2, directly competes with them. Both of them were the best mid-range smartphones of the previous year. Let’s find out the similarities, differences and which phone among these three at the price of Rs. 30,000 will suit you the most. Also…
- Xiaomi 12 Pro comes with high-end specifications, but while paying Rs. 70,000 a user thinks they should buy an iPhone rather than a Xiaomi phone. They are buying an Apple iPhone 13 or a feature-packed Xiaomi mi 12 Pro in this price range; what would be a better option? Let’s find out! Also read: iPhone…
- iPhone 13 is a charming device with excellent specs, but what if you can get the same hardware in a compact size; enter Apple iPhone 13 Mini. This pocket size performance packed mobile phone is a charmer when it comes to features, looks and usability. So, if you’re confused about whether you should buy the…